The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 1, 2011, 10:35 AM   #1
Wyoredman

2011 Antelope - Freak

Here is a picture of a freak anteplope my hunting partner harvested this year. Used a .270 Win with 130 gr remington Core-lockt. Neck shot. Not huge, 13", but very unique!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA020029.jpg (249.5 KB, 376 views)
Old November 1, 2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Definitely different! Looks yummy-tasty young, too.

Grammar Nazi attack: Unique means one of a kind. No modifier such as "very" should be used. Something is either unique or it is not. Me, I blame TV advertising for wrongful teaching. I sometimes hear "Most unique" and it impels me toward a :barf: attack.
Old November 1, 2011, 02:37 PM   #3
aarondhgraham

Always remember,,,

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)

Last edited by aarondhgraham; September 18, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old November 1, 2011, 04:27 PM   #4
taylorce1

Uniqueness is somthing I look for because where I hunt your not likely to find a B&C prairie goat. I'd take that little buck in a heart beat. I'd probably do a shoulder mount as well.
Old November 1, 2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

I'll be damned. That is unlike any I've ever seen and pretty cool.

I can't tell by the pictures, but it looks like it has virtually no cutters? I know Art said it appears to be
Quote:
yummy-tasty young, too
but my first thought was that guy was getting up in years.

Any idea on age on that guy?
Old November 1, 2011, 09:11 PM   #6
Wyoredman

Art, thanks. My grandmother, a life long english teacher, was likely turning over in her resting spot when I typed that!

Krezy, I think it was a young one, as its' teeth were not worn much.

Five of us had a $20 dollar bet for the biggest goat. If any of us scored a freak, that person was out of the bet.

I need to resize the other photos and will get them up.
Old November 1, 2011, 09:46 PM   #7
lead head

Very cool looking Pronghorn.

Hey, Grammar Nazi you should have also pointed out that in the U.S. we have Pronghorn which is not a true Antelope.
Old November 1, 2011, 09:50 PM   #8
fatwhiteboy

There's some odd ones out there...
Old November 1, 2011, 09:50 PM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

So how would you categorize "speed goat"?
Old November 2, 2011, 09:48 AM   #10
Wyoredman

Here's another one. 14.5" Narrow. .270 WSM, 140 gr. Sierra Gameking. Kind of cool looking. He didn't win the bet though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9220010.JPG (44.8 KB, 86 views)
Old November 3, 2011, 07:57 PM   #11
Kreyzhorse

Another cool freaky one. Where you guys getting these things at?
Old November 3, 2011, 09:28 PM   #12
briandg

you used to find a whole lot of nontypical whitetail racks down here. It was blamed on nutrition. I dunno.

Good hunt. Hope the eating was good.
Old November 3, 2011, 09:33 PM   #13
briandg

Actually, grammar nazi, a long time ago one of my college writing professors and I discussed unique. Whereas every snowflake and grain of beach sand is unique, every face is Unique, and the elephant man was UNIQUE.

He agreed that you have varying levels of uniquity, but he still counted a point off for use of "rather unique."

FWIW.

Yes, I know that uniquity is not a word.
Old November 4, 2011, 10:09 AM   #14
Wyoredman

Kreyz, they come from west central WYO! IF you want a chance at a really big goat, apply for area 60 in WYO. It is the largest unit in the state, with the least amount of tags. The WGFD says it iis their "trophy" area. I was out there a bunch this year and saw 40-50 over 16". I just can't draw.

You guys from out of state have a point system that will genrally allow you a tag in three or four years. Instaters have no such system. it sucks!

Thought I would throw in a pic of my buddys' sheep from last year. He is on the right, me on the left. Now this was an awsome hunt! Ruger M77, .270 Win. 130 gr Sierra GK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1498.JPG (92.9 KB, 43 views)
Old November 4, 2011, 11:30 AM   #15
briandg

Quote:
You guys from out of state have a point system that will genrally allow you a tag in three or four years. Instaters have no such system. it sucks!
Some states actually gather the bulk of their license revenue from out of state hunting and fishing. I don't know what the in state tag cost is, but the price for out of state may be just short of a king's ransom, and the division may be reserving the very best service for the guys who have to wait on the list and pony up $1-2,000 for a tag.
Old November 4, 2011, 01:50 PM   #16
Wyoredman

Briandg,

I'm sure that has alot to do with it. I think the OS tags are somewhere around $550 while those of us who live here pay $37. I guess the cash trade off for a better system is some consolation to the OS hunter.
Old November 4, 2011, 04:11 PM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Years back at a west Texas ranchers' social gathering, I ran onto a guy whose pet .308 had been stolen. I put out the word around "my folks" and found one for him, really reasonable. Put an old K6 on it and sighted it in. Went up to his 40-section ranch north of Marfa. Got into a bull session about Hereford cattle. We good old boyed for a while, and he finally said, "Well, why don't you let me give you an antelope hunt for that rifle?"

I figured a $300 package was a pretty good deal for an otherwise $1,500 antelope hunt.

It turned out that his son, the hunt manager, had been sorta shepherded by a friend of mine when the younguns would come down to south Brewster at Chili CookOff time. (Happening this coming Saturday.) I thus wound up halfway adopted as a genuine Good Guy, and son John and I went wandering around the ranch in his truck. We saw mulies and groups of speed goats and did a little miscellaneous cow work. Finally went back to the first antelope we'd seen and he was still waiting patiently.

Bank, whop, plop; the usual work and off to El Paso to the taxidermist for a shoulder mount. The taxidermist stretched those shoulders out to where I must have killed a 200-pound antelope instead of a 90- or 100-pounder. Just under 15". Right here above my monitor.

And, yum, did he eat good! Superb when grilled at my back-country deer camp, chowing down with cold beer and watching the moon rise over Agua Fria Mountain.

Probably will be my one and only antelope, but, "It don't get no gooder than this!"
Old November 4, 2011, 05:33 PM   #18
Wyoredman

Art, I love the goat hunt yarn! Sounds like one helluva' time. Don't they make real cool mounts? My favorite animal to hunt!
Old November 4, 2011, 06:56 PM   #19
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Kreyz, they come from west central WYO! IF you want a chance at a really big goat, apply for area 60 in WYO. It is the largest unit in the state, with the least amount of tags. The WGFD says it iis their "trophy" area. I was out there a bunch this year and saw 40-50 over 16". I just can't draw.

I'll keep that in mind. We always hunt 25 down around Casper and Glen Rock. My bud's Dad killed a really nice 15" on public land in Rolling Hills but otherwise 13" is about as big as we see down there. Still a hell of a good time thought and boy are the antelope tasty to eat.