The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 9, 2011, 09:30 AM   #1
stegar1

min shot size for hogs?

I am hunting on public Lands and Texas has some shot size restrictions.

the regulations read " non toxic shot OR no larger than # 4 lead shot"

you can not use buck shot or slugs after next week.

i am not very familar with any of the " t" shot or "bb" sizes. other than buck or slug what would be the best iyo ?

Semper Fi
Old September 9, 2011, 09:33 AM   #2
MLeake

If what you are posting is accurate (not trying to insult you, I just haven't seen the regs - you might add a link to your OP), then I'd suggest getting a rifle or a .44magnum/.45Colt or larger revolver. I wouldn't go after hogs with buckshot, let alone #4.

A .22 will do it, if you hit them in the right spot near the ear, but otherwise you want big and heavy.
Old September 9, 2011, 09:41 AM   #3
stegar1

it is shot gun only. i have taken a few with buck shot this year already. all of the shots are with in 30 yrds or so.

Semper Fi
Old September 9, 2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Doyle

It looks like TX law for public lands (at least as it applies to this particular public land) is similar to other states. They consider public land hogs to be "small game" and as such you must use "small game" weapons and loads. In states like GA, the small game loads also include rimfire rifles,archery and muzzleloaders. I'm suspecting TX is the same. That presents a problem when the particular place you want to hunt also includes a "shotgun only" limitation. What you are left with is the only legal weapon happens to be insufficient for the job at hand. Sure, you can kill a hog with #4 shot (basically a squirrel load) but you need to be VERY close and shoot it behind the ear.

The other viable option you might have is archery. Many of the public lands that are "shotgun only" have an archery exception.
Old September 9, 2011, 10:36 AM   #5
wpcexpert

Well, if the regs say "no larger than No.4 shot", then that rules out "T" or BB shot.

If all I could use was #4 shot, and really wanted to kill a hog, then I would buy some 3.5in #4 Turkey Load and get real close...real close, less than 15 yds and shoot it in the neck...right behing the jaw.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by wpcexpert; September 9, 2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old September 9, 2011, 10:54 AM   #6
stegar1

it says " non toxic OR no larger than # 4 lead shot. so the way i take it is if i can find non toxic shot smaler than buck im golden. i just dont know other than buck, what would be the next best thing?

Semper Fi
Old September 9, 2011, 11:16 AM   #7
natman

If you are sure about non-toxic shot being ok, try something like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=175438

or

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=972149
Old September 9, 2011, 11:23 AM   #8
natman

How about a link to the regs in question?
Old September 9, 2011, 11:26 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Sounds like the shotguns will get a rest... Nothing larger than #4 rules out hoggin'...

Brent
Old September 9, 2011, 11:31 AM   #10
Doyle

Quote:
it says " non toxic OR no larger than # 4 lead shot. so the way i take it is if i can find non toxic shot smaler than buck im golden
Could you post the full rule. That "OR" thing looks a little funky. Going by just what you quoted, a BB sized waterfoul (non toxid) load would be the biggest you would find. I find it odd they they would limit lead to #4 but not non toxic.
Old September 9, 2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

No way I'd hunt hogs with birdshot of any kind. No way. It shouldn't even be legal. You will NOT reliably kill them. Even at point blank range it would be questionable.

Use a bow.
Old September 9, 2011, 01:01 PM   #12
wpcexpert

Quote:
Even at point blank range it would be questionable.
LOL, I'm sure that was an exageration. A 3.5 in Turkey laod of #4 would kill just about anything at 10 feet or less.

Anyway, if the non toxic thing sticks you could try this:
Non-Toxic 00Buck
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by wpcexpert; September 9, 2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old September 9, 2011, 02:02 PM   #13
MLeake

wpcexpert, I've personally witnessed a hog run off a few hundred yards after a good broadside hit with a 12ga slug.

I've witnessed another that took a .44 behind the shoulder from a Marlin 94, that ran off into the brush. We had to go in after it. Coup de grace to the head did the trick. During butchering, first bullet was found in the shoulder cartilage, and had never penetrated further. (240JHP, which the shooter used against the rest our our advice.)

I've witnessed another one get dropped by a spinal shot with a crossbow; hunter administered a .357 coup de grace with a S&W 60, then turned around to get a picture. Hog tried to get up (only its front legs worked) and he had to shoot it behind the ear a second time. I didn't know that guy, and have no idea what .357 loads he was using.

So, unless the distance was close enough that the shot group hadn't spread appeciably, I wouldn't necessarily trust a 3.5' turkey load.
Old September 9, 2011, 03:43 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It was not an exaggeration but thinking you'd be reliably shooting them at point blank range would be foolish, even if the round WOULD be effective. Bird shot is for birds, turkey loads are for turkey.
Hunting hogs with bird shot would be unethical. Turkey loads or not. I wouldn't bet money on an effective kill on a good sized hog if the barrel was touching it's chest.
Old September 9, 2011, 03:51 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If yer gonna hunt with birdshot from any length hull and wait until they are close enuff to make the "one ragged hole" entry wound... would you do me the favor of recording this from as many angles as possible...

I always love to laugh at the misery and mistakes of others...

Brent
Old September 9, 2011, 04:19 PM   #16
stegar1

never said i would hunt with bird shot. .... was just asking what is, iyo, the smallest shot size to use. the reg is on pg 34 of te 2011-2012 Texas public lands map book. under the legal game section. i do not know/ have never seen-shot "t" shot or "bb" shot. i know these are non toxic. iyo would they be big enough?

Semper Fi
Old September 9, 2011, 04:27 PM   #17
C0untZer0

There are turkey loads for turkeys, buck shot for bucks, bird shot for birds.

There isn't any "hog shot".

Maybe that's because the consensus is to use a slug or bullet when hunting them?

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...highlight=hogs
Old September 9, 2011, 04:31 PM   #18
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegar1 View Post
never said i would hunt with bird shot. .... was just asking what is, iyo, the smallest shot size to use. the reg is on pg 34 of te 2011-2012 Texas public lands map book. under the legal game section. i do not know/ have never seen-shot "t" shot or "bb" shot. i know these are non toxic. iyo would they be big enough?
No!

I'm not up on shot types but I believe "t shot" is made of tungsten maybe.

Regardless, no, bird shot is NOT sufficient for hogs.
Old September 9, 2011, 04:35 PM   #19
PigFarmer

Just went to the TX Park and Wildlife website

Not seeing that rule but their website isn't find friendly. Only thing I see says you need a valid license. link below and feral hog is under "exotic game"

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulati.../hunt/nongame/
Old September 9, 2011, 04:36 PM   #20
Daryl

"t" or "BB" in a non-toxic "heavishot" type load would be better than #4 lead, but I'm not sure how much better.

I have an idea or two of how I'd handle the situation and stay legal, but I'm not sure the practice would be appropriate on an internet board. Let's just say I had a lot of fun experimenting with shotguns and such when I was young and foolish.

Daryl
Old September 9, 2011, 04:37 PM   #21
C0untZer0

Texas just wants the plague of hogs to be brought under control, I think the prevailing thought is that they are giant rats and should be treated as such.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions about what is effective or humane from the regs.
Old September 9, 2011, 04:57 PM   #22
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I've been carousing their website and I believe from what I'm finding that your interpretation of the rules may be incorrect.
All I can find indicates that feral hogs are non-game animals, entirely unprotected and may be taken in virtually any manner.
The only reason this would not be true is if there happens to be exacting rules for firearms in the specific area that you intend to hunt.

As stated above, Texas appears to consider them to be an unwanted pest and is happy to have you kill any you can find.
Old September 9, 2011, 05:26 PM   #23
rickyrick

I think public land hunting is different than what most people are used to here which is private land. But in regular old hunting the pig is exotic game, and the only rule is you must have a hunting permit.

public lands, I don't have a freekin clue
Old September 9, 2011, 05:35 PM   #24
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

stegar, My post was more in response to the one suggesting the lethality of 3.5" #4 at 10 yards... Sorry you thought I meant it "at" you... My bad...
Brent
Old September 9, 2011, 06:42 PM   #25
thallub

Quote:
It looks like TX law for public lands (at least as it applies to this particular public land) is similar to other states. They consider public land hogs to be "small game" and as such you must use "small game" weapons and loads.
OK has the same laws. In the WMAs and on some federal lands we are limited to a shotgun using BB or smaller shot or a rimfire rifle in small game season. i've killed dozens of wild hogs using a .22 magnum.