The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2002, 03:10 PM   #1
t_bob38

Wheel weights for bullet casting?

I've about used up my old bullet mix, so yesterday I got 80 pounds of wheel weights at the local tire shop. Any suggestions on using this? Several years ago I melted a few of these so already know about washing off the dog piss, or doing it outside.
Old December 18, 2002, 03:22 PM   #2
john kilgore

For velocities below 900fps w/o gaschecks, and 1900fps w/gas checks, no change other than normal procedures is needed. If you want to go to 1,200 fps / 2,200fps, add some lead-free solder (95%tin-5% antimony) till bullets come out and stay real shiny. For even more umph, try heat treating them (only neccessary if your shooting fast loads through a semi-auto for loads that will operate the gas system. All I use is wheel weights (3-4 5gallon pails a year !). Though I do have a secret "stash" of Lino-type!
Old December 18, 2002, 08:54 PM   #3
Cheapo

Just tested one of my .30 carbine cast bullets last night and they were precisely where wheelweights are supposed to be (Brinnel 8/SAECO 5). They're gas checks, my loads go about 1900 fps, and the 100-yard groups are 2 inches with iron sights.

You'll probably be happy with the alloy. I've shot a few Brinnel 20-24 cast bullets from handguns, and saw no performance improvement or reduction in leading as compared to the softer mix. Maybe it's that home-brew bullet lube...
Old December 18, 2002, 09:11 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Quote:
Maybe it's that home-brew bullet lube
Lube is a BIGGIE.
The best of alloys with mediocre lube will lead.

Good lube will allow soft bullets to function fine.

Sam
Old December 19, 2002, 07:35 AM   #5
LAH

When melting take care when removing the clips that they haven't a lot of alloy attached to them. Make sure you flux before pouring your ingots. I've shot wheel weights for 30 years and there's no need to add anything to them unless your mould won't fill out. Then you can add maybe 2% tin. Air cooled wheel weights can be moved very fast in a rifle if they fit the bore. Example: I sent Jim Taylor a large box of the Dry Creek 38-147-RN bullets cast from straight air cooled wheel weights using our standard hard lube. He moved them at 1900 fps without any problems. Our lube is good but I think fit is more important. When using a sixgun it's a different ballgame and you won't be able to move them near as fast but I've had revolvers shoot fairly clean at 1200 fps.

You can water quench wheel weights straight from the mould and most I've had will test 16-18 BHN which is about hard enough for anything. Sorry for the long post, just my 2 cents.
Old December 19, 2002, 08:19 AM   #6
Sisco

Cheapo
What's your load for the carbine? I have a bunch of gas checked hollow points I've never loaded. With FMJ I use H110 or Lil' Gun.
Old December 21, 2002, 02:56 AM   #7
Paul Fitz Jones

WW for bullets

As the top Salesman for the California Saeco Bulletcasting Co. I insisted that the thousands of molds I sold be based on common wheel weights for pistol calibers and that they need minimal sizing and worked great with the Saeco Secret Formula in the Saeco Green Lube that contained the secret use of automotive STP the slick mileage enhanser for automobiles. Ask me for the formula broken doen for home use.
Police Firearms Instructor
Old December 21, 2002, 12:36 PM   #8
cukrus

Paul (JP) Jones, should I ask for the secret formula lube, broken down for home use, here or in an email?
YOS,
Cukrus
Old December 21, 2002, 03:19 PM   #9
Paul Fitz Jones

E-Mail for Secret Lube

I designed my California Saeco molds for common tire weights for minimal sizing to not deform the bullet ridges affecting the spin if the ridges were deformed on one side more than the other and harder than commonly leading commercial bullets to grip the barrel grooves better and combined with the California Saeco secret Lube that reduced barrel resistance also reducing the powder needed for the same FPS. Tire Weights are now considered a hazardous substance and cost to dispose of so that can be had free for the asking especially if you ask for them as fishing sinkers . It is no tire company employees business that you are a gun owner.
E-mail me for the secret lube at [email protected].
Police Firearms Instructor
Old December 21, 2002, 07:28 PM   #10
Steve Smith

Why are you WASHING your wheel weights?!!!

Just toss 'em in a cook down pot and cook 'em till they melt, toss in a match and stand back. When you "reduce" the lead this way, you can remove the clips and the rest will purn off anyway. Forget washing.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old June 4, 2004, 12:18 PM   #11
whofan
Registration in progress

I did not realize how old this thread was . I just e-mailed Paul. I guess I will wait and see what happens.