The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2002, 09:46 AM   #1
sox

Beginner needs some advice

Hey gang, decided to start with the .45ACP after your advice months ago. Have been researching/reading lots. Was originally gonna begin with the lee anniversary kit. However, in reading posts, I decided I might want to pony up a few more dollars on "important" parts of the process i.e. powder measure and beam scale. Then I started thinking about the square deal. I will be reloading .45 ACP and likely .40S&W as I get more experienced. My questions are: Do you think I would be o.k. with the progressive initially? What are the steps to case prep on the progressive? For instance, does one need to tumble, what about the primer pocket? Do you need to chamfer the case, eventhough the expander will facilitate bullet seating? How do you weigh every 5th or 10th powder charge on the progressives or are you not concerned since it's throwing a known "volume" Thank for your help, way confused.
Old December 25, 2002, 10:15 AM   #2
PoiDog

Okay, first thing is you should be fine on the Square Deal or any progressive. Many people will tell you to start on a single stage press and work up as you get more familiar. While I did it that way I don't agree. I did it that way due to financial reasons. Now that I have a progressive I've never looked back. The only problem with the Square Deal is you are locked into dies that only work on that press. With any other progressive I'm aware of you can use anybody's dies. I use RCBS for the most part on my 550 with Lee Factory crimp dies. And if I'm not mistaken the Square Deal is only made in handgun calibers. Not a problem for you at this time.

I tumble clean brass after I bring it home, before depriming/resizing. If especially dirty use walnut media, the corn cob polishes very well. I've got an RCBS case prep center if I need to clean the primer pockets. Usually on the progressive you don't have a chance to do this unless you either deprime off the press, or take it out before re-priming. Most people don't bother for general shooting. Probably benchrest/competition shooters will do this step.

I've never felt the need to chamfer on .45 / .40 cases, with no problems. I have the tools to do it, but it's never been needed. No problems seating bullets. I think it may be more of a problem with rifle rounds?

It's fairly simple to check powder charges on the Dillon; just remove the pin at the powder location and slip the case out. Check the charge on whatever type scale you have and dump the powder back into the measure. The accuracy of the charges depends on the type of powder you're using. The Dillon powder measure seems to work much better with ball powders. It seems to act up a little with extruded powders.

A couple of nice things about the Square Deal if you go that route; powder measure built right in, and it is also auto-indexing. This saves you from having to rotate the shell plate for the next round and makes double-charging harder to do.

I started out with an old Lyman balance beam scale which I quickly tired of fiddling with. I picked up a Pact digital scale and like that better. YMMV..

I hope this helps some, sorry to run on so much. I really enjoy handloading, it's a nice hobby in itself. And you can shoot more for the same money.
Old December 25, 2002, 05:03 PM   #3
bk40

Cannot add much to PoiDog's response except...

with the SDB you can use it as a "single stage" press until you are comfortable with the reloading process. How, just place once case in the shell holder until you rotate it around to completion.

I agree about starting with a true single stage press being money wasted if all you're ever gonna load is pistol cartridges. I began loading with the Rockchucker kit (around 1988) and it soon became tedious loading pistol ammo. Since I now also load several rifle calibers it was not money wasted.
Old December 25, 2002, 07:49 PM   #4
PoiDog

"with the SDB you can use it as a "single stage" press until you are comfortable with the reloading process. How, just place once case in the shell holder until you rotate it around to completion."

bk40, you are correct about that, in fact that's what I do when I'm changing the 550 to another caliber or bullet size/shape. I forgot to mention that part, thanks for bringing it up.
Old December 29, 2002, 12:12 AM   #5
sox

Guys, thanks for the advice, just what I needed to hear. Man I am gonna miss this place. Thanks again, Dave