The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 30, 2000, 09:55 AM   #1
Pat McGroin

I have been shooting skeet for a year now with a Remington 870 and I would like to step up to an over&under. Why are they so damn expensive?! I see single barrel shotguns for $89, why is an extra barrel another $900?
Maybe I'll just duct tape two $89 shotguns togeather!

Thanks.
Old March 30, 2000, 01:53 PM   #2
Gunslinger

Pat you might check with Classic Arms [(704)821-6878] located in Indian Trail, NC. They have new Norinco 12 gauge O/U listed for $149.95, dealer cost.
CDNN [(800)588-9500] located in Abilene, TX has Lander 12 gauge O/U listed for $299.99 and
Burns Brothers [(516)234-7676] located in Central Islip, NY have Tiger 12 gauge O/U listed for $127.99.
Granted none are Brownings but............

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.
Old March 30, 2000, 09:22 PM   #3
Ned Roundtree

Yeah, I've seen the guys line up to buy the Norinco O/U. Receiver to barrel fit loose as a goose. If that's what you want okay. You get what you pay for.
Old March 30, 2000, 10:37 PM   #4
Gunslinger

Well Ned it weren't like I was endorcin' 'em. I just figured it would be better'n tapin' two singles together.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.
Old March 31, 2000, 07:02 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

All doubles require more machining and less stamped parts than repeaters do,Pat. Cheap doubles are junk in most part.

However, there's plenty of used name brand O/U shotguns out there, save up a little and look around.

Meanwhile you've got an 870. Life is good(G)...
Old March 31, 2000, 08:05 AM   #6
K80Geoff

Most of those cheap doubles will shoot loose after a couple of years. The advice to buy a used Browning or Beretta is good advice. Or better yet buy a new O/U. consider the gun an investment, they will outlast you.

You may want to consider financing an O/U, some dealers offer financing and you may be able to swing a better grade gun. Guns are good investment items, if you choose wisely and maintain the gun properly. They certainly have better resale value than cars or boats!

Geoff Ross
Old April 7, 2000, 08:52 AM   #7
Pat McGroin

Thanks guys for the feedback. I have yet to see an O/U for less than $799 (Ruger Red Label) in any of the shops where I go. I'm looking real hard at a Browning Citori but at $1249 it will be a while...
Old April 9, 2000, 04:02 PM   #8
IZZY

Why are they so expensive...cause' they can get away with it! A while back I saw Over n' unders from LANBER (spannish) for 300 dollars or so...if I remember it was CDNN offering it in the Shotgun News...some came w/ a whole set of chockes!

Now I have no idea of the quality of this gun but I'll bet it's better than cheap china! Too bad the Izchavek factory in Russia makes only side by sides, they have tight lock up and are great for the price. (paid 200 for mine..)

Peace
IZZY
Old April 10, 2000, 03:21 PM   #9
Roadrunner

Pat, I know how you feel. I finally purchased a new o/u shotgun after several months of looking. I saw a number of ads for inexpensive o/u shotguns and considered buying one of them. However, after talking with many skeet and trap shooters at my club, I decided to save up for a good brand name shotgun.

I just picked up my new 12 ga. Beretta 686 Silver Essential for $650. I don't think you can do much better for a new Beretta o/u.

I found Trader Sport's ad in Shotgun News awhile back. After a couple of emails, I had it transferred to a local FFL dealer here in Falls Church, Virginia. Here's their website, maybe they can offer you a similar price. Hope this helps. Regards.
http://www.tradersports.com/index.html
Old April 12, 2000, 01:08 PM   #10
smoney

My local dealer has a couple of lambers in. they look excellent, and feel very tight. i don't know much about shot guns. but these were very finely built guns. with excellent craftmanship, now about how long they will last, your guess is as good as mine. i was told they were made in spain. one was a semi auto which was about $100 less than the double.

------------------
454Casull when it absolutely Has to be destroyed.
Old April 13, 2000, 08:26 PM   #11
aerod1

Pat that Ruger Red Label you saw would be a good choice IMHO. I own one and so do a lot of my friends. Gun Tests rated it above the Browning Citori Hunter. Hope this helps. Jim Hall