The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 24, 2013, 05:07 PM   #1
twhidd

Winchester 1911 Custom ammo

Does this stuff look to be anything special? http://www.ammoland.com/2013/11/winc...#axzz2lbS0g7zS
Old November 24, 2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Webleymkv

Looks to me like basically standard ammo loaded in commemorative boxes. Winchester did the same thing with runs of Teddy Roosevelt and John Wayne ammo a few years back.
Old November 24, 2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

It's different, but I'm not sure what the point is.

Winchester USA 230-grain FMJ is rated at 835 fps, this stuff is 880 fps. Plus this ammo claims to have nickel-plated bullets (not cases -- I wonder if that's an editorial oops) and a flat point. I don't see any reason for doing either of those things. It would seem to me that a cartridge intended to commemorate the M1911 (albeit almost three years late) should replicate the original cartridge as closely as possible.

As to the JHP, at 880 fps for the 230-grain variety it appears that this is just Winchester's USA Personal Defense ammo in a slightly different box but, again, with a nickel-plated bullet. So they've added a flat-point FMJ round that has the same velocity and probably the same profile as the JHP round. I've shot a bunch of Win USA 230-gr FMJ and a fair amount of the Win USA 230-gr Personal Defense ammo, and as far as I'm concerned any difference in point of impact is due far more to my shooting than to the difference in velocity between the FMJ and JHP flavors.

If they have the capacity to introduce this stuff, I wish they'd just use it to make more Win USA ammo.