The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Where would your money go?
Walther PPQ 50 45.05%
Glock 19 46 41.44%
Walther P99 AS 15 13.51%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 8, 2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Sheep Doggy Dogg

How would you spend your money? PPQ, G19, or P99 AS?

After a recent thread about wanting a P30 on a budget, a lot of suggestions were for the Walther PPQ and P99 AS. Both seem like great guns, however none of my LGS has them for rent so I'm left to only fondle them each time I go in.

The PPQ runs about $500 and the P99 AS around $550-ish. For that money I could also have a G19 Gen3 or Gen4. This is not a which is better thread, but more along the lines of just personal opinions on each platform. If you own one or more or if you're a former owner, please share your insight. I want this gun as a HD and CCW. Being it will be the only hand gun I own, it will see a lot of range time as well.

Please vote and explain your decision. Thanks TFL members!
Old March 8, 2012, 09:28 PM   #2
chris in va

I had a Glock. The grip angle is unnatural and threw my shots high after being used to a CZ. Heard nothing but good about the PPQ.
Old March 8, 2012, 09:31 PM   #3
C0untZer0

I don't know why you'd indicate CCW as one of the primary roles and then leave out the PPS.
Old March 8, 2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Fishbed77

For all practical purposes, the P99AS and the PPQ are the same gun. You just have to decide which trigger system you prefer - the DA/SA trigger of the P99AS or the more Glock-like pre-cocked striker trigger of the PPQ.

I would rate either the P99AS or PPQ above the Glock. Don't get me wrong - Glocks are great pistols, but in many ways, time has passed them by to some extent.

The Walthers have all the durability and reliability (proven over 15 years by the P99) of the Glock, but with better ergonomics, better triggers, better fit & finish, and better accuracy (in my experience anyway).

It's also not helping matter that Glock prices have been steadily creeping up over the years (while Walther prices have come down considerably from the $800+ the P99 commanded just a few years ago). A few years back, the Glocks were raging bargains, but now at the $550 or so, they are running head-to-head with a lot of very nice and more modern options.
Old March 8, 2012, 09:50 PM   #5
hogwiley

It all depends on what kind of trigger you prefer and how the guns feel in your hand. If you want a DA/SA gun, that means the p99. If you want a light DAO trigger then it comes down to whether you prefer the grip of the ppq or the grip of the glock. I like the feel of both, but I think the glock 19 is more concealable and has more aftermarket accessories and parts available, so I would go with the glock. In terms of reliability I doubt theres a big difference between the two. The glock has a more proven track record, but has had some problems with the gen 4 and lately some gen 3s. The ppq is less proven buy walther has a reputation for quality.
Old March 8, 2012, 09:58 PM   #6
TunnelRat

I would love a P99 A/S, but I can't find them anywhere lately.

That said, it's the oddball in the group you just gave as it's a DA/SA trigger and the others aren't.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 8, 2012, 10:59 PM   #7
kinoons

I sold my p99AS to get my PPQ -- I just didnt like the three seperate triggers on the P99. The PPQ is a more reformed p99 with the best trigger I've used this side of a HP P7M8. The P99 is a great pistol, so saying the PPQ is a more reformed one says a lot.

If you're looking for a CCW then add the Walther PPS to the list. Its a great gun and my EDC
Old March 8, 2012, 11:13 PM   #8
BleedinPurple

Already spent my money...Walther PPQ...love it...cant wait to shoot it

i think the pps is going to probably be my next handgun purchase...but i just like the fact that the ppq holds 15 and 17 rds while the pps only holds 6-8 rounds
Old March 8, 2012, 11:41 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
The PPQ is a more reformed p99
I think that's a matter of perspective. If you prefer something without a DA/SA trigger, no foul, but that doesn't make it more reformed.

As a note I've owned a PPQ. I think the trigger is a bit light for CCW, but that's just for me personally.
Old March 8, 2012, 11:55 PM   #10
Martowski

I chose the PPQ. Heck of a good pistol. Great ergonomics and great trigger make for a sweet shooting machine.

I've read about people saying things related to muzzle flip and such, but I don't feel it's any greater than any of my other polymer framed pistols.
Old March 9, 2012, 12:10 AM   #11
stmcelroy

I'm a Glock guy, I would get the PPQ or something entirely different if I were starting over.

I've actually started experimenting with other platforms lately, the only thing that sucks is having to buy magazines especially when you already have 20+ Glock 19 mags.

I've bought a Caracal F, Caracal C and S&W M&P in the last month to shoot against my Glock 17 and 19. If money permits I will also grab a PPQ and possibly a FN FNS too.

Probably end up selling what doesn't work.
Old March 9, 2012, 12:11 AM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
I've read about people saying things related to muzzle flip and such, but I don't feel it's any greater than any of my other polymer framed pistols.
This I do disagree with. Compared to my Glock 19 I felt it did have more muzzle flip. I could have been imagining it though, but I think the PPQ does have a slightly higher bore axis as compared to some other options.
Old March 9, 2012, 12:18 AM   #13
kinoons

I should have said that the PPQ is more refined, not reformed. In either case I say this with the ambi slide release, and slightly different shaped grip. I believe they are an improvement, but this is just my opinion and perspective.
Old March 9, 2012, 12:21 AM   #14
TunnelRat

Quote:
In either case I say this with the ambi slide release, and slightly different shaped grip. I believe they are an improvement, but this is just my opinion and perspective.
Those features I agree with you, they are improved. As for the trigger, for me the trigger is just different between the two, not necessarily better or worse.

I will say the PPQ, probably shockingly to Walther as I don't think even they realized it would take off like it did, has become the IT gun of the year. While I do think it is a good gun, I don't think it is magical, which some people seem intent on portraying it as (not directed at you).
Old March 9, 2012, 12:57 AM   #15
jnug

Walther has often been called to task for not marketing their products hard enough in the States and they have not really gotten the marketing engines rolling on all cylinders on the PPQ either. Maybe that in part would contribute to their surprise if they are indeed surprised.

I think that there are two things that contribute to the PPQ's sales that are above and beyond the norm.

First a common initial reaction to the distinctness of the trigger reset is to be floored by it. Combine that with a pull of about what I think is something like 5.5 lbs and it is hard not to be floored by that trigger.

Then if there is some genius to their current marketing effort it is that they dropped the initial price point. As a result the street price is often at or below $500.00. When you combine that with the first impressions of that trigger, you do have the impulse buy gun of the year without question. That said I think you would have some difficulty finding folks that have come away from their PPQ purchases disappointed. There is much to like in the PPQ and Walther did catch the wave of recent accelerated handgun sales. Sales have increased at a sporty pace and the PPQ came out in time to catch that wave.
Old March 9, 2012, 12:57 AM   #16
BleedinPurple

it is just amazing what can happen to a handgun when it has a great trigger...most of the complaints people have with most pistols is a bad trigger that needs to be worked on to get it really good...ppq comes with one from the factory
Old March 9, 2012, 01:06 AM   #17
TunnelRat

The price point is impressive. What bothers me though is that locally the dealers want $660 for them. Only online can I get them for like $500. Not sure if they're price gouging or what.
Old March 9, 2012, 02:32 AM   #18
jnug

Around $600.00 is what I find at the locals as well. They have sort of a built in advantage in that they will allow you trades for existing pistols that you own and while you will never get from them what you can get selling one outright, you get the convenience of moving off something that may just be gathering dust for something you want now.

I think they make a bit of room in their list pricing to allow for haggling over what you are going to get back in trade against their "retail" prices. You might notice that just the shops that have these trade in policies are also shops that will not act as an FFL for a fee for purchase of an internet gun.

In my experience they are going to start at about 10% lower than they should be for a trade in and it is up to you to haggle over that 10% or not.

At some point it makes more sense to get the internet gun I think. I have often found it difficult not supporting local brick and mortal stores in favor of internet purchases for all sorts of things. However when it comes to a shop that refuses under any circumstances to act as your FFL, I have no problem looking at the item at their store front and then buying it over the internet using somebody else as the FFL.

Not everybody has a gun to offer back in trade and the poor guy that doesn't is just taking the full weight of that difference in retail pricing right in the chops.
Old March 9, 2012, 03:05 AM   #19
IMightBeWrong

I love my Glock. I'd recommend the PPQ more. It's like an amped up P99 with a Glock esque trigger only smoother and with a better reset.
Old March 9, 2012, 07:07 AM   #20
Mrgunsngear

Well, I have the PPQ and the G19 (several actually ). There are a few pros and cons to each. If I could just have one---I'd take the G19 without hesitation.

PPQ-
Better trigger
Better ergos for new shooters
Shorter trigger pull

G19
Proven history
More parts/holsters availible
Lower bore axis
Faster follow-ups
Old March 10, 2012, 05:42 AM   #21
mumbo719

Since you want a "P30 on a budget" the ergos of the PPQ will be the closest.

Any of the 3 defensive pistols you listed will be a great buy. I'm just not comfortable with the ergos of Glock.
Old March 10, 2012, 11:42 AM   #22
sigarms228

I have both and the PPQ always goes with me to the range and my Glock 19 is collecting dust. So my vote is for the PPQ which simply is a stunning pistol.
Old March 10, 2012, 01:44 PM   #23
Fargazer

I own the P99 AS and a Glock 17 (not a G19 I know, but it's the closest I have). The Glock is a nice gun, and I am glad I own one, but I prefer the Walther grip, and I shoot noticeably tighter groups with the P99.

Between the P99 AS and the PPQ you've got three points to sway your decision:
  • The P99 AS emulates a DA/SA trigger, the PPQ is a constant pull trigger. Both are excellent examples of their respective trigger types.
    • For a carry gun (my use), I tend toward a DA/SA trigger for a heavy pull first shot, to make up some for the adrenalin flowing in a shooting situation.
    • For a target gun, I don't care which style I have.
  • The P99 AS has a one year warranty, the PPQ has a lifetime warranty.
  • The PPQ can be found less expensively than the P99 AS (very general statement, but I've never heard of sub $500 for the P99, where I have for the PPQ)
They are both excellent firearms; you won't go wrong with either one. I'd say all things being equal, grab the first one you get a good deal on, whichever Walther it is.
Old March 10, 2012, 03:43 PM   #24
JHansenAK47

Quote:
What bothers me though is that locally the dealers want $660 for them.
Locally I can get a brand new P99AS for 600 + tax and the PPQ for 530 + tax.
Quote:
For a carry gun (my use), I tend toward a DA/SA trigger for a heavy pull first shot, to make up some for the adrenalin flowing in a shooting situation.
There are different trains of thought on this very subject.
My train of thought is trigger finger out of the trigger guard. You
could be so jacked up on adrenalin that you could trip on something and have an unintended weapon discharge of your pistol.
They have done police studies and found that officers with their finger out of the trigger guard reacted and fired just as fast as those with their finger in the trigger guard.
Like the old saying says there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Old March 10, 2012, 03:55 PM   #25
TunnelRat

Quote:
There are different trains of thought on this very subject.
My train of thought is trigger finger out of the trigger guard. You
could be so jacked up on adrenalin that you could trip on something and have an unintended weapon discharge of your pistol.
They have done police studies and found that officers with their finger out of the trigger guard reacted and fired just as fast as those with their finger in the trigger guard.
Like the old saying says there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Well, duh.