The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 25, 2005, 09:36 AM   #1
kilogulf59

Who carries cross draw?

Howdy,

This is my first post here so I'll intro myself...I'm KG59 now from central Wisconsin.

I'm interested in who carries cross draw and what rig you use.

With the exception of work, I'm seated a lot and it would seem that this method of carry is logical.

Any real "dog" CD holsters?

This would be for a 2" .38 revolver.

Take care,
KG59
Old September 25, 2005, 10:56 AM   #2
stang46gt

Mitch Rosen

I carry cross draw sometimes. I found that I prefer Mitch Rosen's holsters the best. Kinda pricey but well worth it, especially if you carry all day. They are so comfortable. He hand bone's his holsters to fit each gun model. His TRV model is an excellent cross draw holster.
Old September 25, 2005, 12:05 PM   #3
SomeKid

My very first holster was a carjacker crossdraw from Andrews Custom Leather. Great for when you are sitting a lot.
Old September 25, 2005, 03:10 PM   #4
GooseMn

I use a cross draw 'KD Leather' holster for my Taurus PT140 Mil Pro. Due to 12 yrs of football, I'm slow in drawing from my strong side. Kevin (KD Holsters) made me an exceptional leather holster, 40 degree cant, and without a thumb break....a really nice holster for $60.
Old September 25, 2005, 03:26 PM   #5
Harley Quinn

On horse back or in a car

Crossdraw is good. Easy to get to. I am right handed but I carry left or right hand cross draw depending where I am going to be in a car.
Driver or Passenger.
I SHOOT with both hands and am as good with either one.
I practice one handed both hands, and I practice two hands with both hands.
I swing sticks with both hands and hammer with both.
Never know when you need to use the left or right. If you really are into the art of Killing with a gun, knife or stick you never know when you need the other side. Same way with fighting, lead changes why I like JKD, FMA.

Harley
Semper Fi
Escrima dude
Old September 25, 2005, 03:49 PM   #6
Hardtarget

Last two time I used cross draw I was riding a tractor. Just because I like to and in case there was a poisonous snake. Have to admit...BBQ groundhog is pretty good.
Mark.
Old September 25, 2005, 04:18 PM   #7
Dwight55

Depending on several factors, I do sometimes carry crossdraw.

I like the ability to quickly access the weapon with either hand, though my right hand is the stronger. That is of course offset by being a bit slower than a "strong side" carry.

I also think it is easier for me to conceal, especially with my full size 1911.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old September 25, 2005, 05:00 PM   #8
ClarkEMyers

I've used strong side cavalry draw for seated

I've used strong side cavalry draw for seated - obviously the draw moves across the body. I find it conceals better and is more comfortable for me than cross-draw as well as closer to conventional strong side which I also do. I keep thinking off-body (Dayplanner?) for seated or cross-draw off the chest belt in the car but I haven't gone there yet. Your needs may differ.
Old September 26, 2005, 11:33 AM   #9
kilogulf59

Thanks Folks,

It's been a big help getting your practical advise.

My opinion here but cross draw carry is a lot more practical and popular that most would admit. My thinking on this is the fact that it is not en vouge so it is no good.

Thank God folks realize what works best for them.

Thanks, again, to all of you.

Now, does anyone know of decent grips for an old CA Undercover?

I tried the stock ones with a T-grip...still too small. Years ago, Pachmayr compacts were the only option. They're great but a bit big for concealment. Plus the rubber prints.

Integrated Close Combat Forum
Old September 26, 2005, 03:41 PM   #10
Bulldozer

Thoughts on Crossdraw

I've had occassions to use crossdraw carry and I like it. It works very well with my preferred weapon -- the 3" K-frame 357 revolver a la a 65LS or a M-66/2.

I live in a wintry part of Central/Western NY and we are in a now corridor from the ake Effects, so with winter layers and bulk, the crossdraw is very much easier to access than an IWB behind the hip. Just lift up and draw as opposed to having to shove/manage multiple layers.

I also have a job that finds me either at a desk or in a car most of the time, so crossdraw works very well in those scenarios too.

Some good designs exist for x-draw holsters.

Bell Charter Oak, of Gilbertsville, NY makes some very fine leather. They use a lot of Chic Gaylord's designs as inspiration.
http://bellcharteroakholsters.com

FIST also offers a convertible x-draw/OWB or IWB rig.
http://www.fist-inc.com

Matt del Fatti can (and has) made a convertible IWB/X-Draw ISP-4 model that is the cat's meow. But be prepared for a 12-month wait.
http://delfatti.com

I also believe that Rusty Sherrick makes crossdraws in horsehide. The one example I saw of his work had me salivating.
http://c-rusty.com
Old September 30, 2005, 09:45 AM   #11
kilogulf59

Thanks 'dozer, I will look into them.

I was looking at the FIST #42 DRIVING HOLSTER TO CROSSDRAW rig but it seems to good to be true. Not being able to actually handle one, I’m afraid the it may be a bit bulky due to the hinge mechanism.

My preference, especially in a CD holster, is to have it pull the piece close into my body. However, with age my body is starting to grow out towards the piece, so this is becoming less of a concern.

Do you, or anyone for that matter, have one of these holsters and, if so, what it the consensus on it?

Integrated Close Combat Forum
Old September 30, 2005, 12:12 PM   #12
PaulBk

CD when driving. IWB otherwise.

-PB
Old September 30, 2005, 03:09 PM   #13
Bulldozer

I don't have that FIST holster.

I do have a BCO crossdraw that is very handy and pulls the piece in good and tight.

The Del Fattis are the best in my opinion,, but with the wait being so long, this may not be practical.

I do have several LEO pals who use FIST gear for Glocks, Sigs, and S&W autos and rave about them.

One fine NY gent, in particular, is absolutely enamored with his FIST x-draw for his Glock 19.
Old October 1, 2005, 04:54 PM   #14
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

My favorite rig to wear crossdraw is a Comp-Tac Pro Undercover Kydex holster for my Taurus PT145. Like others, I usually carry in this fashion when I'm doing a lot of driving and am wearing a long untucked shirt or a long coat. I mount the holster between my pants and my belt. It is held tight to my side and the clip looks like it could be a cell phone under my shirt.
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old October 1, 2005, 05:08 PM   #15
Doug.38PR

I sometimes carry Crossdraw on my belt but it is rare. The upside of it is that makes it easier to get to my gun while driving. You can get to your gun a little more discreetly if need be. The downside is that when you crossdraw (so say some) is that when you pull the gun, you expose everyone within a 90 degree angle from 9 o clock to 12 o clock to your muzzel, granted the bad man at 12 o clock is your target but what about 9 to 11. My response to that is that a lot of people are going to be exposed to your muzzel while you are in a firefight anyway (if any), it's whether you fire the gun that makes it a point.
But I typically don't carry crossdraw because I don't like taking my belt 75% off to get my holster on and off....might change when I get my paddle holster in for my revolver to where I won't need to take the belt off at all. Already have one for my 1911.
Old October 1, 2005, 05:17 PM   #16
axslingerW

Went in a store today about 90 minutes from home and found an uncle mikes sidekick. First one I had seen that would fit my .40. I bought it, and put it on at 9:00 instead of my usual 3:00 carry. I was amazed at how much more comfortable I was driving home. Consealment is pretty good too. At lunch I asked my wife if she could see my gun and she didn't realize I even had it. This was in shorts and a T-shirt.
Old October 7, 2005, 08:35 PM   #17
OneFreeTexan

Good holster

I like the Tri-Vertible holster setup. It's not exactly cross draw, in that the gun is not down by your belt. The way I use it is that the gun is under my left arm and as I usually have my arms crossed, my right hand is within inches of the grip of the gun. I can have my hand on the gun with the safety off without moving my arms. The holster rig is also clipped to my jeans so it isn't going to shift position and this rig works equally well, sitting, standing, riding or driving.
Old October 8, 2005, 08:49 AM   #18
Jehzsa

CD here. IWB in a Mika's pocket holster. P10-45.
Old October 8, 2005, 07:35 PM   #19
Dust_Devil

I can see where carrying cross draw would be beneficial when seatbelted in your vehicle, but once out of your vehicle there is two problems with a cross draw. It takes a much more time to pull out your firearm from a cross draw and then aim it forward to your target rather than have it on your strong side where you can draw it straight out and forward aiming at the target.
You also have to worry that you are sweeping your weapon at other "targets" and if an accidental discharge occured in the heat of the moment, an unintended person could get shot.

I wouldn't want to change how I carry my weapon from carrying it in my car to carrying it when I'm walking and stick to one style which is usually ITW strong side. When in my car I will usually pull up my shirt slightly and position my seatbelt so it doesn't interfere with pulling out my gun.
Old October 9, 2005, 06:57 PM   #20
The British Soldier

I believe that carrying a cross draw holster is like advertising to someone that you are about to draw your pistol. Who carries anything on the weak hip and uses their strong hand to access it? It looks un-natural and sends alarm signals out. I appreciate the ideas of having the pistol accessible, but what about once you have exited the car?
I was trained to carry a pistol in civilian clothes in Northern Ireland for Counter Terrorist operations and we always wore standard ride holsters on the right hip [assuming you are right handed, of course!]. We always had them in the same place and attached to our belts in such a way that they could not slip forward or back. If you are reaching for your weapon in a hurry, an inch out of place can be important - it screws up your muscle memory. On the opposite hip we wore a double-magazine holder.
In cars, which we were in and out of all the time, we placed the pistol under your right thigh with the grip readily available; no one could see if from the outside - even if they leaned close.
May I suggest that cross draw holsters be left in the same cupboard as 'shoulder holsters' - another useless item.
Professionals keep it simple and workable.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.
Old October 10, 2005, 11:35 PM   #21
trooper3385

I would never consider carrying a cross draw holster. It's just tactically unsafe. The only time I would ever consider a cross draw holster may be when riding in a car, but taking it off before I get out of a car. One of the most important things to remember when carrying a weapon is weapon retention, and the cross draw method just does not provide that. The last thing you would want to do is get shot by your own gun.
Old October 11, 2005, 06:53 PM   #22
axslingerW

um, sweeping? accidental discharge? I don't place my finger on the trigger until I'm ready to fire, so I'm not to worried about these or shooting myself. Cross draw may have a "Tactical Disadvantage?", but I'm a salesman, not leo or military (anymore). Cross draw is very comfortable, and therefore I'm more apt to have my pistol. I see a tacticle advantage here. Try a few different holsters, and methods of carry until you find what works for you. In my job concealibility is number 1 and comfort is number 2. I don't think the extra 1/20th of a second in draw time is near as much of a disadvantage as having to untuck my shirt first!
Old October 11, 2005, 07:16 PM   #23
Jkwas

I wonder how easy it would be for someone to grab your gun and shoot you with it while wearing crossdraw, especially in a scuffle. The butt of the gun faces forward for easy access. Anyone heard of something like that?
Old October 11, 2005, 08:06 PM   #24
Dust_Devil

Quote:
I wonder how easy it would be for someone to grab your gun and shoot you with it while wearing crossdraw, especially in a scuffle. The butt of the gun faces forward for easy access. Anyone heard of something like that?
A good point. Look at how a crossdraw handgun is positioned. It would be mostly positioned on the person's left side and in a position where the grip is facing your "opponent" to your "opponent's" right hand and strong side to most people and the barrel facing in your direction where it is practically saying 'Grab my gun and shoot me..you don't even have to turn the gun"
Old October 11, 2005, 11:33 PM   #25
GooseMn

"....where the grip is facing your "opponent" to your "opponent's" right hand and strong side to most people...." ????? On a r-hand cross draw, the grip would be on the L-side for a r-hand 'opponent'. And how about the small of the back conceal? THAT would be an easier 'grab' by an 'opponent' than a cross draw where the gun in in the person's front.