The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 11, 2012, 07:48 AM   #1
baddarryl

Is the M&P 9mm as reliable as the G19?

Here is the deal. I carry a G26 and shoot a G17 in IDPA. I am thinking of selling them both and filling the gap with a 19. Obviously I can walk with a few bucks too. I also picked up an M&P that I really liked and since it is offered with the carry kit seems like a viable alternative. I liked the feel of it better it think. It is a little larger than a 19 but not as large as my 17. Pretty sure it would carry just fine. Now that I am comfy carrying my 26 I think I could be comfy stepping up. Any reason I should not consider the M&P over the 19?
Old October 11, 2012, 08:13 AM   #2
presspics

That's a tough question. The M&P series of pistols has had it's share of issues. If you buy it new then you will have the latest and greatest version that doesn't share the problems of SOME of the early M&P's. There is also a lot of internet chatter about the M&P 9mm not being accurate. There may indeed be M&P's that aren't as accurate as others. That is a tough call. You may get a good one (most likely) or you may get a bad one (unlikely).

The Glock 19 is a legend. Glock has also had more than it's share of problems. The difference is that Glock almost never admits to a problem. There was the "silent" upgrade, the numerous feeding problems that led to the followers being revised 6 or 7 times (try sorting out that mess when you have older magazines), extractor problems, ejector problems. The new Gen4 Glock 19 is a nightmare of unreliability. Even the Gen 3 Glock 19's have issues that Glock still hasn't sorted out.

My advice...Buy a brand new M&P 9mm or an older used Glock 19 and you'll have an amazingly reliable weapon.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:24 AM   #3
insomni

Glock got its reputation when they were the only kid on the block as far as rugged poly guns is concerned. They were very public about all of their horrific tests they put their guns through and it is a reputation well earned. However, they are not an only child anymore in the realm of rugged dependable polymer pistols. Other companies have stepped up and made pistols that are just as durable, just as reliable. Smith & Wesson is one of those companies. They learned ALOT from their Sigma line which smacked of being a half-measure Glock ripoff, went back to the drawing board and delivered in spades on the M&P line.

The M&P line had some embarassing issues with dropping mags in their first run of pistols. They remidied this within months, and haven't had the problem since.

Either way you go, you're buying a winner.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:24 AM   #4
zincwarrior

Which M&P did you pick up? The fullsize, the "target" version (5 in barrel), the M&Pc, or the Shield?

Of the M&P full size and M&Pc I have, frankly I think the smaller M&Pc is more accurate. Neither is as accurate as my old FS92, but both are at least as accurate as the Wife's Beretta Storm.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:47 AM   #5
carguychris

Zincwarrior,

The OP said that the pistol is smaller than a G17 yet larger than a G19; based on that statement, I'm guessing we're talking about the full-size.

The size of the M&P9 FS roughly splits the difference between the G17 and G19, while the M&P9c roughly splits the difference between the G19 and G26.
Old October 11, 2012, 10:11 AM   #6
baddarryl

Thanks guys. What elapsed can you recommend the fills the niche of the g19. I love both my Flocks, but am not a loyalist if there are other alternatives.
Old October 11, 2012, 10:22 AM   #7
tjhands

I own and shoot both M&Ps and Glocks. They're both ultra-reliable guns. Really can't go wrong with either one.
Old October 11, 2012, 10:41 AM   #8
RBid

The G19 is just short of 7" long, and is 5" tall. 15+1 capacity.

Comparably sized weapons:
Caracal C
Walther P99AS
Walther PPQ

Most other full size pistols fall either between the G19 and G17, or at the size of the G17. The FN FNX/S is an example of a tweener.
Old October 11, 2012, 11:38 AM   #9
Chuckusaret

IMO, the major brand handguns are only as accurate as the shooter makes it. I have a XD40 SC, M&P 9MM compact and a M&P 40, all hit where I aim, within the design limits of the gun. I no longer own a Glock based on a past bad experience. Nuff said.
Old October 11, 2012, 11:39 AM   #10
9mm

M&P has been on the market only a few years, Glock has been on the market for 20+ years.

No I do not think its more reliable.. Theres a reason why the Federal agents use Glocks.
Old October 11, 2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Mrgunsngear

In my experience they are equally reliabe----very very reliable. Pros and cons to each but in the accuracy dept they're even.
Old October 11, 2012, 12:59 PM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
M&P has been on the market only a few years, Glock has been on the market for 20+ years.
Since 2005. So a good 7 years? More than few IMO.

Quote:
No I do not think its more reliable.. Theres a reason why the Federal agents use Glocks.
Which likely has more to do with Glock's very aggressive LE pricing than any remark on the reliability of the M&P. For what it's worth many of the departments near me, as well as at the state level, have adopted the M&P.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; October 11, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old October 11, 2012, 01:14 PM   #13
BryanP

For those asking about comparable size, here are some measurements out of a spreadsheet I put together back when I was looking at guns in the G19ish size

Old October 11, 2012, 01:45 PM   #14
dayman

Quote:
Thanks guys. What [else] can you recommend the fills the niche of the g19. I love both my [g]locks, but am not a loyalist if there are other alternatives.
The Walther PPQ or P99 are similarly sized polymer striker guns. For a bit more money - if you're not stuck on striker fired - the HK p30 is about the same size, and can be had in DAO.
Old October 11, 2012, 03:07 PM   #15
zincwarrior

Quote:
Zincwarrior,

The OP said that the pistol is smaller than a G17 yet larger than a G19; based on that statement, I'm guessing we're talking about the full-size.

The size of the M&P9 FS roughly splits the difference between the G17 and G19, while the M&P9c roughly splits the difference between the G19 and
Thanks! I'm not very familiar with the different Glock types.

Is this not also the size of a Beretta Storm Compact (7in by 5in) in case you might be interested in a DA/SA format option?
Old October 11, 2012, 04:52 PM   #16
insomni

Quote:
Theres a reason why the Federal agents use Glocks.
yah it's called marketing. Glock knows they have a great product, but they also an even better marketing team. They are excellent at getting their guns into the hands of LE etc, and have been good at doing so for decades now via great pricing, reputation, and some good old fashioned schmoozing.
Old October 11, 2012, 05:47 PM   #17
RBid

It is absurd to credit the Gen 4 Glock with the reputation of the previous generations. The redesigned recoil spring is every bit as relevant a change as a new engine design in a car. Similarly, changes to extractors are relevant. The track record for the Gen 4 Glocks started with the release of each model-- NOT with the launch of Glock.

"Of course it's reliable" works with Gen 1-3. They have earned that. The Gen 4s have about a two year history, marred with hiccups in the early going. As far as anyone should be concerned, the Gen 4s are still in the "prove it" stage.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:19 PM   #18
Mystro

I have had to send two different Glocks back for warranty issues. These were Gen 2 and Gen 3 guns so Glocks have not been that reliable in my collection of guns. I honestly don't see them any more reliable or even AS reliable as other polimer guns. Food for thought. I would take a PPQ over any current polimer guns to date.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:30 PM   #19
RBid

Well, the PPQ uses a 15 year old 'engine'. New trigger group. Proven drivetrain. Great stuff.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:09 PM   #20
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddarryl
What elapsed can you recommend the fills the niche of the g19. I love both my Flocks, but am not a loyalist if there are other alternatives.
Have you considered the XDM 3.8 Compact model? Almost identical dimensions but holds 2 less rounds. However it does come with the 19 round mag as well. May be a good option there that you can carry and still used for IDPA.

FWIW, I had a M&P9 that I carried but wanted something smaller for warmer weather and I also have a G17. The grip height on the M&P was the same height as my G17 but the slide length was a tad shorter. It was more akin to my friends the G32 (same size as G19). I ended up letting the fullsize M&P9 go to fund my Shield
Old October 11, 2012, 08:12 PM   #21
LockedBreech

It kills me that the Gen 4 Glock 19 is arguably the worst-troubled Gen 4 Glock, because there's no pistol I want to own more. I find it amazingly comfortable, light, and easy to conceal, and I'd love to own one, but I can't quite get the confidence up.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:36 PM   #22
jfrey

I have a G19 in Gen 3 and Gen 4 and they are both very reliable. I shot a M&P 9 last weekend and I would say they aren't as reliable as the G19. That's my experience and I'm stickin to it.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:49 PM   #23
TunnelRat

Quote:
I shot a M&P 9 last weekend and I would say they aren't as reliable as the G19.
So you shot one example of a gun model once, and in that brief encounter you were able to determine reliability for the entire model line?
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 11, 2012, 09:05 PM   #24
ritepath

My 9c 100% reliable with every type of ammo I've fed it so far in the past 4 years.

I'd buy another M&P in a heartbeat. I may invest in a full size 45 M&P someday soon in fact.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:32 PM   #25
Chuckusaret

I have the M&P 9MM Compact and the .40 cal and both have been flawless.

Last edited by Chuckusaret; October 11, 2012 at 09:40 PM.