The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2010, 04:46 PM   #26
hnm3355

well i saw the mink oil and decided i would try it and i will be setting up my press today.
Old October 7, 2010, 11:53 PM   #27
ryalred

I, too, use Lee case lube and mix with either denatured alcohol or acetone. I buy spray bottles from the cleaning supply section at Lowes and then just spray the mixture onto my cases. If you spray at the correct angle you can get some inside the necks of the cases. Yes, you do have to waite for the acetone, or denatured alcohol to evaporate, but that only a couple of minutes and you can be doing something else. I'm still working with a spray bottle full of lube I made up two years ago. I think it may last another 2 years.
reloading -- addicted
Old October 9, 2010, 03:09 PM   #28
5R milspec

mink oil shoe polish.it comes in a large can for a smaller amount of money.and I have never had a stuck case and I have been loading for 15 years now with the same first can I bought.
Old October 10, 2010, 01:35 PM   #29
Edward429451

You can get the Anhydrous Lanolin at the med supply store for cheaper and cut out the pharmacist...
Old October 10, 2010, 03:01 PM   #30
mbopp

If you need it, HEET dry gas in the red bottle is 99% isopropyl alcohol. Don't use the stuff in the blue bottle, it's methanol and you don't want that.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:02 PM   #31
zxcvbob

Castor oil makes a great case lube. I've always wondered how it would work as a spray.

I bought a little 4 oz pump-spray bottle at Sally Beauty supply. Last night I filled it with 1/2 oz of castor oil and about 3.5 ounces of 91% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol (I have some 99%, but since castor oil is soluble in alcohol I wanted to see if 91% would work because it's easier to find.) That's a 7:1 dilution. Both were at cold-basement temperature. I shook it up and it quickly dissolved, and I sprayed a few 9mm cases. When the alcohol smell was about gone, they felt a little greasy but that might be my imagination. I will see if they size any easier than unsprayed cases tonight.

I think 7:1 may be fine for lanolin but castor oil might need to be mixed a little richer.

This morning the solution was a little clearer (like tiny drops had been in suspension before and now they fully dissolved) and none of the oil settled out. Again, it was stored in a cold basement. Dillon Spray Lube separates a little at the same temperature and needs to be shaken before use. The solution is thin like water or straight alcohol. Not sure if I'm brave enough to try it as-is on .223 or .30-06 cases, but I should be able to get a good test using .30 Carbine brass and a carbide die. When I've used up a little, I will add another 1/2 oz of castor oil, making it roughly 3:1, and see if that still mixes completely and sprays OK.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:45 AM   #32
Marco Califo

I use white lithium grease from Home Depot. It works great and I only need to lube one out of every two or three cases. It reduce the amount of effort needed to resize. Bag Balm is another drug store product people use for sizing. It has lanolin, and is found with hair care stuff @Walgreens. You can rub it on cow teats too!
Old January 10, 2013, 10:49 AM   #33
William T. Watts

I've purchased four bottles of RCBS case lube in 45 years, I still have part of the fourth bottle, that works out to about .50 cents a year. The plus side I've NEVER stuck a case in a sizing die, It doesn't get any better than that! William
Old January 10, 2013, 10:57 AM   #34
Don P

Don't see a need for it. What I do is treat my media with Meguiar's Mirror Glaze fine cut cleaner (white liquid rubbing compound). Hell of a lot cheaper than the stuff the sell at Midway and its ammonia free and leaves the brass with a slick feeling.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:33 AM   #35
F. Guffey

Don't see a need for it. What I do is treat my media with Meguiar's Mirror Glaze fine cut cleaner (white liquid rubbing compound). Hell of a lot cheaper than the stuff they sell at Midway and its ammonia free and leaves the brass with a slick feeling.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Don P., I am not a fan of slide and glide shooting like bench resters, when I fire a case I want it to lock onto the chamber. I tumble after sizing to remove lube, I use media and nothing (added), I wipe cases before firing. I am the fan of 100% contact.

Don, you are not using case sizing lube? and you are firing the slick/smooth cases?

I use a home made case spinner to clean cases for short runs, meaning if I choose not to tumble cases for 1 hour + I can spend less time spinning 20 cases for a short run. I always take a box of spun/loaded rounds with me to the range (JIC), just in case someone at the next bench is vain, nothing like bling to settle them down.

F. Guffey
Old January 14, 2013, 11:49 AM   #36
hounddawg

I tried some of these home made concoctions and they were more trouble than they were worth. I switched to Imperial sizing wax about 3 years ago and a 7 dollar tub has gotten me through 5K cases and I still have most of it.

I did try the Kiwi mink oil substitute just out of curiosity because of a thread on here a couple of weeks ago. I did about 100 .223 and .308 cases and it seems to be the same thing as Imperial
Old January 14, 2013, 11:49 AM   #37
Don P

Quote:
Don, you are not using case sizing lube? and you are firing the slick/smooth cases?
#1 no
#2 yes
I only shoot and reload handgun ammo. It has caused zero issues thus far in a multitude of semi-autos and revolvers.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:55 AM   #38
jcwit

Quote:
I use a home made case spinner to clean cases for short runs, meaning if I choose not to tumble cases for 1 hour + I can spend less time spinning 20 cases for a short run. I always take a box of spun/loaded rounds with me to the range (JIC), just in case someone at the next bench is vain, nothing like bling to settle them down.
I fail to see how the above statement is in fact true.

If I want to tumble 10/20/50/100 cases, or even more there is little time involved.

1. Dump cases into tumbler and flick switch. 5 seconds at the most

2. Flip switch off, dump cases into colander and sift out media. 10 seconds at most.

Do I set around twiddling my thumbs while cases are in the tumbler, not hardly. Heck I even let it run over night sometimes.

Now you can tell me you can spin polish 10 cases in 15 seconds?????

What is the point of a case locking itself into the chamber?

Regarding case lube, I use Unique, Mink Oil, or lanolin.
Old January 14, 2013, 06:02 PM   #39
F. Guffey

jcwit, you are under no obligation to attempt to understand, I place no responsibility on the reader to comprehend. I know I am capable of completely missing some, rather than assume I understood Don P., I ask for help. There are not many dies I do not have, I set up at the last gun show at Market Hall in Dallas, I sold a set of Dillon carbide 223 dies, that made one reloader happy, the same event made a bunch of dealers indignant. Not my problem.

I sold close to 30 sets of dies, I did not ask Don P. if he was using carbide sizing dies, I do not use lube when sizing pistol cases with carbide dies, I do want my cases clean.

Barrels, Saturday I took barrels, lots of barrels, nothing, I took chamber gages, home made, few if any understood the concept, I did not sell a barrel, the next day I took cases, first to go were the 223, new, once fired with primers, sized without primers and fired with primers, one person purchases all of them, 600+ cases. Scales, presses and dies along with cases, next time I will leave the heavy stuff, there was a lot of interest in the Turkish rifles, I decided there was something wrong with the ATM, had it been working I could have sold out of Turk 38s. Interested purchasers said they would go to the ATM and then be ‘right-back’ and they never returned.

I found my way to the ATM, not working, I ask, the kind lady said they were issuing cash charged to credit cards.

F. Guffey
Old January 14, 2013, 07:52 PM   #40
Marco Califo

Farmer John brand Manteca.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:47 PM   #41
jcwit

Quote:
jcwit, you are under no obligation to attempt to understand, I place no responsibility on the reader to comprehend.
Well I sure understand that statement.

I would have thought you could have explained how you spin polish 10/20 cases in 15 seconds, but obviously you do not wish to enlighten the rest of us.

What is the point of a case locking itself into the chamber? How bout answering this question, or is this a trade secret also?

Quote:
the same event made a bunch of dealers indignant. Not my problem.
Quite an attitude, when we all should be pulling together.