The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2005, 06:15 PM   #1
PinnedAndRecessed

OK to use lead bullet data for plated bullets?

I bought a box of West Coast copper plated bullets thinking they were the same a FMJ. They are 44 caliber 240 grain flat point. My powder is Unique.

None of my books have data for plated bulllets but I read (somewhere) that it's ok to use lead bullet data for plated bullets.

Ranier's website (also for plated bullets) says the minimum load for their bullets is 9.8 grains Unique.

However, if I operate under the assumption that lead data is ok, my Speer manual says 6.5 is minimum/7.0 grains maximum.

In the past, for 240 grain lead bullets, 7.0 grains Unique has always been good. Do you think I can safely load these West Coast plated bullets with 7.0 grains Unique without problems?

Thanx in advance.
Old May 4, 2005, 07:16 PM   #2
caz223

I couldn't say.
The only thing you could do is to try it out.
Load 20 or so, and see if they stick in the bore.
Old May 4, 2005, 07:31 PM   #3
Ruger4570

There is another thread in here from a guy that was loading these in a 38 and was using light loads and they stuck in the bore. I would think you could use any loads for jacketed bullets with no problem (not super mag loads) and probably all but the lightest lead loads. I would agree with caz223 and load up a couple and try them out. If the manufacturer specifies a load why not try it, maybe back off a little just in case. My $.02 worth
Old May 4, 2005, 07:41 PM   #4
Mark whiz

DEFINITELY 7.0gr of Unique will work with those bullets.

I start my load workups with lead recommendations and always end up close the the level of my best jacketed loads when I find best accuracy, so you might want to go closer to the Ranier's data.

I've pushed the 158gr models out of my .357Mag at 1200fps without problems & with great accuracy. And that is with 7.2gr of Hodgdon Universal Clays, which loads almost interchangeably with Unique. That leaves PLENTY of room for your .44 charge of 7.0gr.
!
Old May 4, 2005, 09:40 PM   #5
J.D.B.

I asked this question some years back and the answer was to use JACKETED data. Has been working for me on all my cals.
Josh