The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 27, 2014, 07:47 PM   #1
charlesc

Walther P99 AS 9mm

How good is this pistol? How would you compare this to Walther PPQ M2?
Thanks
Old March 27, 2014, 08:58 PM   #2
carguychris

Quote:
How would you compare this to Walther PPQ M2?
The P99 AS is a DA/SA pistol with the option of a long but relatively light Anti-Stress first-round trigger pull, or a heavier DA first-round pull if the decocker button is used. The PPQ M2 has the same trigger pull for every shot.

IMHO the SA and "Anti-Stress" trigger pulls of the P99 AS are better than trigger pull of the PPQ, and there is no Glock-style trigger "dingus".

The P99, for better or worse, uses paddle-style mag releases rather than thumb buttons. Opinions vary regarding which is superior; YMMV. However, be aware that the mags do NOT interchange, and the paddle-style P99 mags are a good deal more plentiful, particularly if you come across some S&W SW99 or Magnum Research MR Eagle mags, which are functionally equivalent to paddle-style P99 mags but tend to sell for less. (The SW99 and MR Eagle are both mildly restyled license-built copies of the P99.)

I suppose this is a long way of saying that I prefer the P99 AS.
Old March 27, 2014, 10:22 PM   #3
doofus47

I shot the p99 9mm as at a rent-a-range. So, take this as a half recommendation.
I liked the way it held to point of aim well and the recoil was negligible. 9 of my 10 shots in each mag was sa and I loved the trigger pull.
I bought a p99 in 40. It kicks a bit more.
Old March 27, 2014, 10:35 PM   #4
TunnelRat

It's an excellent pistol. If you prefer DA/SA it's a hard one to beat. I prefer the paddle style release. If I had a choice I'd go with the PPQ M1 over the M2.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 27, 2014, 10:37 PM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
How good is this pistol? How would you compare this to Walther PPQ M2?
Both are superb semi-autos, but I prefer the P99AS.

As good as the PPQ trigger is, the Anti-Stress (AS) trigger system of the P99AS edges it out. It is every bit as smooth and crisp as the PPQ, and has the same incredibly short reset, but in single action mode, it is lighter than the PPQ at ~4.5 lbs. Its a brilliantly-designed system that I personally feel is safer for carry than the PPQ. And while it does has a trigger safety similar to the PPQ or Glock, it's a more elegant design in which the whole face of the trigger serves as the safety control, rather than the Glock-style blade. One can only assume that Walther uses the Glock dingus on the PPQ to attract Glock fans, since it is a step backwards in terms of ergonomics.

The P99AS (and the PPQ M1) takes mags that are easy to find and inexpensive, unlike the PPQ M2, and frankly, the push-button mag release of the PPQ M2 is also a step backwards from the elegant and easy-to-use paddle release of the P99.

Oh yeah, and the P99 is better-looking too.
Old March 27, 2014, 11:16 PM   #6
Sabrewolfe

P99 is a fine weapon with a proven track record. You will not go wrong by picking one up. Personally, I prefer the grip, controls, and trigger on the PPQ for CC, but YMMV. I really like the paddle mag release on the P99, though. They work a lot better on loaded mags than thumb buttons and I also prefer to use my middle finger over my thumb for combat reloads which is super easy using a paddle. For myself, I like the PPQ Classic better than either. You gain all the improvements and advancements made to the PPQ, but you get to keep the paddle release from the P99.
Old March 28, 2014, 05:39 AM   #7
kcub

But there is no P99 navy, right?
Old March 28, 2014, 10:23 AM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
But there is no P99 navy, right?
To my knowledge, Walther has never sold a pistol in the US called the P99 "Navy".

But Walther's German website had videos of the standard P99AS firing underwater (and cycling reliably after being buried in sand and frozen in ice), so maybe that counts.
Old March 28, 2014, 12:24 PM   #9
carguychris

kcub... I think it bears asking: why do you want the Navy model?
Old March 28, 2014, 12:30 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
kcub... I think it bears asking: why do you want the Navy model?
So you can go deep sea diving with your pistol, obviously.
Old March 28, 2014, 05:47 PM   #11
Fishbed77

To carry in the shower, of course!
Old March 29, 2014, 07:59 AM   #12
carguychris

Perhaps he/she needs some of this "Dive" ammo to go with it:

http://le.atk.com/ammunition/speer/h....aspx?id=55036

Old March 29, 2014, 12:16 PM   #13
5-SHOTS

I have a P99 AS with ambi slide levers and steel glow-in-the-dark factory steel fixed sights. I think it's a superb pistol. I'm at the 3000 rounds mark and it still looks like new in the contact surfaces. Very accurate and reliable pistol with every ammo tested. I've shot the PPQ at the range and I wasn't impressed by its trigger and accuracy. I'd choose my P99 AS over any PPQ every day of the week.
Old March 29, 2014, 09:26 PM   #14
Fishbed77

Quote:
I'm at the 3000 rounds mark and it still looks like new in the contact surfaces.
Same here.

The tenifer/blackening treatment of the P99 seems to be much more durable than that of most other pistols with a similar treatment.
Old April 1, 2014, 12:36 AM   #15
kinoons

I'll be the guy that likes the PPQ over the p99AS. I had a AS about two years before the PPQ came out and I couldn't get used to the AS trigger. In AS mode there is a small hitch and click where the long AS pull passes the point that the short SA point rests at. I felt it every time and it drove me crazy. I sold the AS and later bought a PPQ that I absolutely love.
Old April 16, 2014, 10:28 AM   #16
Flyingish99

p99/ppq

I own both the last gen p99 and the 2nd gen ppq. while the p99 is a decent gun, the ppq is superb in almost every way. Only downside Ive noticed is the rear sights are adjustable for windage? I don't know what walther is hunting in Germany with these weapons, but I think in a situation, pulling out a tech screwdriver to adjust just might get me killed as I've dropped the gun and totally adjusted the sight. If you have a choice, go with the ppq. way better trigger., more accurate and compact. Trijicon and meprolite both make aftermarket night sights for both models and I highly recommend them.
And yes the p99 sights will fit the ppq just need a glock sight tool and a smaller front screw.
Old April 16, 2014, 11:09 AM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
I don't know what walther is hunting in Germany with these weapons, but I think in a situation, pulling out a tech screwdriver to adjust just might get me killed as I've dropped the gun and totally adjusted the sight.
Huh?

Quote:
way better trigger.
Different not better, the P99 actually has a better SA trigger.

Quote:
more accurate
The barrel and lockup are the same, you might be able to shoot the PPQ better but it's not the mechanical accuracy between the two.

Quote:
and compact
Again no, the P99 is actually thinner in the grip and the rest of the dimensions are the same.

Welcome to the forum!
Old April 16, 2014, 05:25 PM   #18
Fishbed77

Quote:
Only downside Ive noticed is the rear sights are adjustable for windage? I don't know what walther is hunting in Germany with these weapons, but I think in a situation, pulling out a tech screwdriver to adjust just might get me killed as I've dropped the gun and totally adjusted the sight.
The P99 and PPQ need the adjustable rear sight to meet import points enforced by the ATF.

I have NEVER heard of a P99/PPQ rear sight breaking.

Quote:
If you have a choice, go with the ppq. way better trigger., more accurate and compact.
As TunnelRat said, the single action trigger of the P99AS is both lighter and crisper than the PPQ. Did you perhaps have a P99QA?

The P99 and PPQ are virtually identical in size, and there is no difference in mechanical accuracy between the two models - the barrels are practically identical aside from a slight dimensional change to the PPQ's feed ramp.
Old April 16, 2014, 07:04 PM   #19
wild cat mccane

I think the rear sight is the weakest point of both. Plunger was a dumb design.

I prefer the P99 AS. It's great. Both level easy, both have superior triggers.
Old April 17, 2014, 02:33 AM   #20
ShelbyV8

I have the SW99, the only difference is S&W makes the slide and barrel all the internal parts in the frame and slide are made by Walther. I think there is a difference in the profile of the trigger guard. The plungers on my 9mm is broke and the plunger on my 40 completely disappeared, probably broke then launched into space. I contacted S&W for the plungers and they referred me to Walther USA who was also out of them. I made one for my 40, but I am going to try to order again. I am going shoot them off sand bags to check the adjustment then epoxy them in place. Adjustable sights are only used once on a combat handgun anyway.
Old April 17, 2014, 09:12 AM   #21
wnycollector

I just picked up a SW990L compact 9mm...and all I can say is WOW! I put 450 rounds through this little gun in two separate range trips, with zero failures. At ten yards, I cut the center out of a silhouette target. The 990l carries like a small gun but shoots like a service sized firearm.

The only downside I can see for some 990l owners may be the trigger. It has the walther P-99QA trigger minus the decocker. As a guy who cut his teeth on revolvers I love the trigger, but others may find it to heavy and long.