The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 8, 2009, 07:48 PM   #1
bigb00mer

how is this sight pictured read ?

Old January 8, 2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Scorch

The arrow tip is your point of aim. The numbered brackets are for ranging, but since you did not state what kind of scope it is I cannot venture a guess as to whether it is for 72" target zone (man-sized), 18" target zone (elk size), 12" target zone (deer size), or 9" target zone (varmint size). Essentially, you can bracket the target between the lines and that is the range in yards or meters.
Old January 8, 2009, 09:34 PM   #3
bigb00mer

its russian made, so guessing that would be meters, also has lighted cross hairs says made in Belarus, USSR
Old January 8, 2009, 10:11 PM   #4
SDC

To elaborate on what Scorch said, the "1-2-3-4" markers are used to provide a quick indicator of range; an "average" 6-foot-tall soldier would fill the lines between the "1" and the T-line at 100 metres, the lines between the "2" and the T-line at 200 metres, and so-on. If you can measure out a 100 metre range, that should let you know exactly what the range markers are indicating.
Old January 11, 2009, 09:55 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just FWIW, in the VN era the U.S. Army contracted for a automatic ranging scope. When the first scopes arrived, the troops found they were useless, showing the range as much less than it was. The contracting officer discussed the issue with the scope manufacturer but no one could figure out the problem. Then one of the soldiers asked how the ranges were calibrated. "Why by using the standard measurement, a six-foot tall man," the contractor's expert replied.

"I think I know the problem," said the soldier. "I spent a lot of time in-country and never saw a six-foot tall Vietnamese." The red-faced manufacturer hurriedly re-calibrated the scope.

Jim
Old January 11, 2009, 10:27 PM   #6
kraigwy

The ART (Automatic Ranging Telescope) is calibrated for 30". Not six foot. Reasoning, that it was hard to get your target to stand up.

This scope was used on the M21 (National Match M14). It was highly accurate. It dosn't take my to estimate 30 inches.

The stadium lines, like I said, were calibrated for 30"s. So you range in the target between the stadium lines by adjusting the power ring. It your target is between the lines while the scope is on 3 power, then the target is 300 Meters away. 4 - 400 meters, etc up to 900 meters.

I used this rifle/scope combination in Sniper school and ran several snipers schools using it. It is very accurate.

The Marines used a Redfield 3X9 on their bolt action rifles, with the BDC (bullet drop compensator) that wasn't near as reliable as the ART discribed above. Most Marine Sniper just sighted the rifle in at 500 yards and held low or high depending on the range of the target. The Marine Sniper system wasnt near as effective as the M21. The starlight scope could also be mounted on the m21 bunt not the Marines Bolt gun. It also spent more time in the maintanace shop then the M21.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071