The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 3, 2000, 09:18 PM   #1
BadShot

I just finished up my first pound of WW231 and thought I'd try using Titegroup this time. I have been using 185 SWC from national bullet over 4.0 gr. of 231. Very little recoil and very accurate. I loaded up some 5.0 gr rounds of Titegroup. These were very accurate also, but the recoil was quite a bit higher.
Since both of these loads are at the lower ranges, why the differences?
I've noticed a lot of suggested loads from 4.0 to 4.5 gr. of Titegroup. These would be below the manuals weights, are these valid?
Also, what do people mean when they say it meters well?

Thanks for the help...
Old July 3, 2000, 10:22 PM   #2
beemerb

Meters well means it throws consistantly through a powder measure.
Difference in recoil?Powder burn rates affect recoil.What do the charts say on each one for muz velocity?Bet the titegroup has a higher vel.

------------------
beemerb
We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world;
and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men
every day who don't know anything and can't read.
-Mark Twain
Old July 4, 2000, 07:38 AM   #3
sjones

I've loaded some 200swcs using tite group at 4.5 grains and the functioned fine in my kimber ultra carry.I settled on 4.8 grains. That is what I use for 200swcs and 230 rn'sand it works fine and is very accurate. sj
Old July 4, 2000, 08:09 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

Best 'common' powder 45ACP is W231. Really.

TiteGroup is best in straight-wall revolver cases (for which it was intended).

If you want a 'faster' 45 powder use Bullseye.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old July 4, 2000, 04:23 PM   #5
Sisco

I just finished loading a new batch of .45, been using 231 with no complaints. Thought I'd try something different so I loaded a few with AA #5 and Bullseye. Wanted to use Titegroup (hadn't read all of this thread yet) but the new "give away" data book nor the web site listed any loads for lead bullets. Looked around the on-line manual and was kinda surprised to find very few lead loads listed for any caliber. I sent them an e-mail and asked why, I'll post the reply when it comes.
Old July 5, 2000, 08:32 AM   #6
Matt VDW

BadShot,

Four grains of W231 is an extremely light load in .45 ACP. To get the same velocity level with Titegroup, you'd have to go down to about 3.3 grains.

Did you just substitute Titegroup for W231 without adjusting your powder measure? Titegroup is a dense powder; it will throw a heavier charge than W231 for a given volume.

I've loaded several thousand rounds of .45 ACP with charges of 4.1 to 4.3 grains of Titegroup beneath a Star 185 grain lead SWC bullet. They've functioned fine (with a 13 pound recoil spring) and delivered excellent accuracy.