The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2000, 10:51 AM   #1
Gary H

It appears to be a very simple method of media separation. Does it work?
Gary
Old May 2, 2000, 02:18 PM   #2
Kenneth L. Walters

No it does not! Also Lyman tumblers wear out rather quickly. I had two. Both gave up the ghost after about a year. Then too on the ones with the clear plastic tops those snap occasionally. After much frustration with my Lyman tumblers I replaced them with an RCBS for blackpowder cartridges that I have to wash and a large Dillon where tumbling will do the job. Skip Lyman. They just don't work all that well and they certainly don't hold up well.
Old May 2, 2000, 02:19 PM   #3
JoeHatley

I've been using a Turbo-Flo bowl on my 20 year old Turbo 600 tumbler for about 5 years. Works great!!! I honestly think it's the best design on the market.

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old May 2, 2000, 02:51 PM   #4
Joefo

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoeHatley:
I've been using a Turbo-Flo bowl on my 20 year old Turbo 600 tumbler for about 5 years. Works great!!! I honestly think it's the best design on the market.

Joe

[/quote]
Using a Turbo 600 in various configuration for over 15 years now. Not a bit of trouble and it has gotten quite a workout.

Joefo

Old May 2, 2000, 09:40 PM   #5
Big Bunny

I have a Turbo dual wet/dry made by Lyman for 2 years. I have polished many 38Spl and 40cal cases with excellent results with corn-cob and walnut media. These are "droppies" from the Range and are often dirty or even mildly corroded in places so it is a real test !

The wet bowl is used (with a liner)for gem tumbling, so it is on continuously for weeks sometimes.

At no time has a perspex top broken.

The motor is still fine.

The Lyman Company is marvellous to deal with, comparable with Leupold. I have excellent service.

But the Auto-flow feature I do not have on my model so I cannot comment.

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old May 2, 2000, 10:02 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

I simply don't tumble my cases. Never felt the need to have factory shiny cases to take to the range...

A quick washing in a bucket full of hot soapy water, a rinse or two, and onto a sheet behind the furnace to dry.
Old May 3, 2000, 06:13 AM   #7
Tree Rat

Washing...drying...sounds like doing laundry which means it`s WAY too much trouble....and no shine? What`s the point? Tree Rat.
Old May 5, 2000, 10:09 AM   #8
Bill Hebert

My Lyman Turboflo Pro arrived with broken fan blades. Called Lyman - told to send it back (I pay shipping) and when they inpsected it, if what I was telling them was true, they would replace or repair the unit and send it back to no later than 6 weeks from when they received it. I asked them to ship a new motor or a new unit and I would send back the broken one. They said no way - I had to do it their way or no way. Asked to talk to a manager and they told me I could not talk to manager. Called back two days later - asked to talk to manager and was then asked what did I need to talk to them about. Lady then said either I tell her what the problem was or I could not talk to a a manager (what luck - the same courteous person I talked to two days ago.) Never did get through to a manager - glued the fan blades back on myself. That's the last penny Lyman gets from me.
Old May 5, 2000, 10:23 AM   #9
Gary H

Well, that last post made me rethink Lyman. Thanks for all of your help and attention
Gary
Old May 5, 2000, 04:26 PM   #10
johnwill

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Irwin:
I simply don't tumble my cases. Never felt the need to have factory shiny cases to take to the range...
[/quote]

Mike, we know you like to shoot dirty, this is not news.

Old May 5, 2000, 04:29 PM   #11
johnwill

Seems a vast difference of experience. I've had my Lyman for years, all I do is use it. I will admit that the media separation sounds better than it works, I prefer a standard media separator to the Lyman thing, takes too long for the media to trickle out.
Old May 6, 2000, 05:49 AM   #12
animal

Mine's a Midway : It was cheap and works great. I didn't get the see through top ; made one myself. All you do is cut a circle out of a piece of 1/4" Lexan, drill a 5/32 hole in the center and you got a top that ain't gonna break ! Media seperator? Two 5gal. buckets...leave 1 alone. Take #2 and cut the top 8" off (carefully 'cause you want the top half). Set top part aside (call this piece "A"). Cut a cylinder of plastic (2" tall) from what's left of bucket starting 6" from bottom(Piece "B"). Cut a piece of 1/4" hardware cloth in a circle 3" larger diameter than the bottom of the opening in "A". Cut "V"s in hard. cloth so you can bend up edges to make a cup out of it the same size as inside of "A" and put it in there. Put "B" inside "A" to pinch H.cloth between plastic. Seal up spaces between plastic and H.cloth with hot melt glue. Sifter fits inside of bucket. Viola ! You got a media seperator and a nifty size bowl to boot. DAMN, I'm A CHEAP BUGGER!
Old May 7, 2000, 05:22 PM   #13
Big Bunny

I use the orange top of my Lyman dry TURBO as a sifter for up to 200 40S&W or 38 SPL. Why not, it is ideal!

Save your dies and clean your brass in solvent, solution or media ! The G96 wet treatment(take the primers out first if over-night, as some electrolysis can take place on some types of primers)then tumble in a Lyman(or whatever) can clean up even badly stained cases to ones that are easier to find in the grass...
..I said "easier"!

------------------
***Big Bunny***