The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 12, 2006, 01:31 PM   #26
Buzzkill

Gorgeus pics ,you are very lucky.

The first three pics have superb definition .

Can I ask please what type camera you are useing ?

Thanks
Bob
Old July 12, 2006, 03:26 PM   #27
Scorch

Beautiful! Just goes to prove that any time outdoors is more fun than being at work.
Old July 12, 2006, 04:51 PM   #28
Edward429451

Super cool. I played hookey today too to go see if the good mushrooms are out yet. Found one good one. Still kinda early for shrooms but all the rain may bring an early season for them.

My wife seen the aspen grove over my shoulder and wants directions, lol. A lot of gourmet mushrooms like to grow under Aspens. See any shrooms up there?
Old July 12, 2006, 04:55 PM   #29
FirstFreedom

So you saw moose up there? Wow, I didn't know meese came that far south. So the North Park area is essentially one and the same as Jackson County? Where are the other two parks? I'm guessing Grand and Park counties? Is South Park, as in the cartoon, a real town or what? Thanks.
Old July 12, 2006, 05:02 PM   #30
Edward429451

Meese? Is that real?

Southpark is real. It's an area, but not an actual town.
Old July 13, 2006, 09:27 AM   #31
duck911

Buzzkill - I was using my trusty old Olympus C-720. It's only a 3 megapixel camera but 8x optical zoom and decent glass. Tough day for taking pics that day, it was overcast and light was weird. (Can't even see the sky through the aspens in that one pic).

In Colorado, there are 3 big "parks", North Park (which is most of Jackson County), Middle Park (Park County), which is in the hills SW of Denver, and South Park, otherwise known as the San Louis Valley (Alamosa County), down by the New Mexico border. All 3 are pretty places, although NP is my favorite. South Park is nice because there are a lot of waterfowl raised down there and the hunting can be good. It's very rural and pretty damn scenic, with the Sangre De Cristo mountains to the east, a range that is PACKED with 14,000 ft high mountains, that are snowcapped much of the year. My first duck season in Colorado I hunted the waterfowl opener down there and did very well. I don't have too much experience with middle park, other than driving through.

Lots' of moose in the state, FirstFreedom. And North Park probably isn't even the best place to spot them. Grand Mesa, down in the Southwest/west central part of the state has some monsters.

Some areas even have warning signs warning hunters to be careful of their targets, so that unsuspecting hunters with ELK tags don't shoot a moose by accident.

As for shrooms in the aspens, I wouldn't know a safe shroom if it came up and bit me
Old July 13, 2006, 02:29 PM   #32
FirstFreedom

Cool; thanks. How hard is it to get a moose tag?
Old July 13, 2006, 04:49 PM   #33
Edward429451

The only "Fatal" mushroom in Colorado is bright bright white and you do have to eat a whole cap to die. (The Death Cap shroom).

Other shrooms are not necessarily edible, but not fatally toxic. The rule is: pop a small pc of the cap in your mouth. If it's bitter spit it out. If it's nots bitter then its edible, simple as that. You could even pop a pc of the death cap in your mouth and prolly not even get sick as long as you spit it back out and do not ingest it.

The good shrooms are the King Bolets and instead of having gills, they have a yellow sponge like substance under the cap, and a light brown colored cap. I mention this because you're hunting there and you have not lived until sauteeing up some fresh bolets to go with your elk steak. The flavor of these shrooms is indescribable.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread topic...
Old July 13, 2006, 06:39 PM   #34
jhgreasemonkey

What beautiful country. Thanks for sharing the pics.