The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 24, 2014, 07:33 PM   #26
44 Dave

I got my first one 50 years ago, when I was 16, but I could also buy pistol ammunition across the counter by the each and dynamite was sold in hardware stores.
I like cleaning and messing with them most as much as shooting.
A big factor is "big brother" doesn't know how many and where, (and neither does my wife)!
Kind of a nice feeling having a '51 under my coat.
Old March 24, 2014, 08:02 PM   #27
gunslinger2000

It would be virtually impossible to keep me from being able to shoot for survival. I have built several guns from scratch and can and have made black powder. I will be able to shoot my flintlocks and cannons. LOL (I have taught chemistry and had 22 years of experience in ordnance R&D so think I am qualified.). gunslinger

Last edited by gunslinger2000; March 24, 2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old March 25, 2014, 07:34 AM   #28
wogpotter

The Puma is a White Hunter & the tweezers are for extracting odd shattered bits of cap.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 25, 2014, 07:52 PM   #29
bedbugbilly

For me . . . it's the history . . . the smoke and smell . . . the enjoyment of shooting the same as our ancestors did generations ago. There's a lot of enjoyment in hitting a mark, a target or whatever with a black powder firearm without the use of all the fancy sights, scopes and other modern "helpers". I can't think of a better way to relax and forget about things than shooting black powder firearms. The hobby is filled with great folks who share the same compassion for it. Once you've "smelled the smoke" . . . it will stick with you for life.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 25, 2014, 08:20 PM   #30
Garycw

What draws you to Black Powder?

I'm a little late getting on the bus, but looks like a fun ride. I had always been into milsurps but After attending a civil war re-inactment at camp wildcat in ky this past summer it sparked my interest. I got raffle tickets for two BP revolvers, but didn't win. Afterwards dug out a sgl shot BP pistol I'd had for 25 years from a box of stuff from storage auction. $40 later I had everything I needed to shoot. I now have a fixer upper 1858 pietta on the way and almost exciting as one of my Sigs. There's just something about antique firearms that can't compare with new.

Last edited by Garycw; March 26, 2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old March 29, 2014, 12:03 PM   #31
Flatbush Harry

I love studying history and I first tried C&B revolvers to better understand what was used in the Civil War and early days of Westward Expansion of the US. Shooting them immediately gave me an appreciation of the challenges on the one hand and the capabilities of technology on the other.

I must admit that I get a kick out of showing the tacticool crowd that an old man using 155 y/o technology can easily outperform a clown with a Glock and his flat-billed gangsta cap turned backwards. As I pack up, I always say, "It ain't the arrows, Tonto!". Makes my day.

FH
Old March 31, 2014, 08:26 AM   #32
Bezoar

people think every revolver is either 44 magnum or 357 magnum.

But if you pull a bp revolver out, they think its a handcanon like josie wales had.. instant muchacho-ness is given to you.

thats part, but the thing is that that 155 year old technology fits my hand, while your wonder glock DONT.
Old March 31, 2014, 02:36 PM   #33
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvp

What draws you to Black Powder?

I love the smell, of napalm in the morning ! .

PLUS, BP allows me to participate in an extra deer-hunting (muzzleloaders-only) season. .

Old March 31, 2014, 11:32 PM   #34
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Where I hunt its to easy to harvest Big Game with a modern rifle. I needed a challenge. Took up B/P traditional rifle at a time when many of my friends wouldn't. Many thought it was a waste of time and money hunting with a antique C & B rifle. For a few years it was well worth the additional expense and burned up vacation time before the inline debuts. I could pack for my trip knowing I was going to experience cold, snow, quiet as a tomb in the woods, seeing calm deer occasionally that were previously nocturnal all Fall.
Yes allot has changed since those days and so have my hunting tactics also.
Old April 1, 2014, 02:42 PM   #35
DennisCA

I've always wanted a BP gun but for some reason never got around to it.
Now that I have, I only have one question (to myself):

WHAT TOOK YOU SO DAMN LONG???!!!

Normally - After the range my son and I would go for cigars and I was all ways worried that my wife would smell the cigars and start asking questions. Now I can say; "It's the black powder you smell".

How's that for a line???
Old April 1, 2014, 03:29 PM   #36
maillemaker

I shoot BP for the cost savings.

Shooting my muzzle loading rifles with 400-500 grain bullets costs about $.30 a shot. So it's not particularly cheaper per shot compared with modern guns.

But it's a lot slower. So you shoot less ammo.

I can go to the range and spend the entire afternoon there shooting 100-200 rounds of ammo. $30-$60 bucks. If I shoot into my Bullet Bucket and catch my lead, half that.

If I go shooting with modern guns for the entire afternoon I'll probably shoot 500 rounds easy. Now with my reloaded .45 ACP that's only $45. But for any other caliber it would cost me.

Steve
Old April 23, 2014, 04:25 PM   #37
bprevolver

A Collectable Firearm

Twenty years ago I saw the potential collector interest in these firearms. Being a collector all my life (starting with cap pistols at age six), the replicas represented a brand new catagory of collectable firearms. There was no information out there that brought them all together so anyone could have a guide in which to learn about them. Being a retired college professor this was my "cup of tea" for my retirement years. Been "writing a book" now for twenty years and have become overwhelmed with the amount of information I have discovered in those twenty years. I put together a collection of over 1035 revolvers and been able to examine thousands more. This Forum and others have supplied me with much of the leads I have followed in collecting this information. Still working on it, but nature has a way of really slowing us down in those so called "golden years".

What draws me to Black Power Revolvers? It has been my whole life for the last twenty years and I would not give away one single day of this research. To the Forums and the good people on them I give you my thanks
Old April 24, 2014, 06:07 PM   #38
rclark

History. And it is just fun to make 'smoke'. Sometime I'd like to try the o' Flint and Matchlock too. I don't shoot it as much as I'd like because of time constraints (have to just about dedicate a day) ... Ie, when you get home you still have quite of bit of work to do to get everything cleaned/oiled up again for the next go around. And if you shoot cartridges, you still have to deal with them too before moving on to 'regular scheduled programming' ... so to speak. Gives me more of an appreciation of our forefathers when dealing with firearms of the time.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 24, 2014, 07:15 PM   #39
MIOkie

What draws me to the Black Powder..?

The simplicity.

The relaxed pace of loading and shooting.

The historical methods and technology that never cease to amaze me every time the powder ignites.

The grin I can't hold back as the powder flows out of the spout.

The smell of burnt powder and the smoke drifting away.

Melted lube, greasy hands and a once-belligerent paper plate full of big holes.

Like bedbugbilly said, "I can't think of a better way to relax and forget about things..."