The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old July 8, 2012, 04:25 AM   #1
Nomadicone

Source of #2 Alloy or WW in Phoenix AZ?

Does anyone know of a source of #2 Alloy or wheel weights in Phoenix, AZ metro area? I have called a number of scap yards and they don't sell to individuals only as wholesale.
Old July 9, 2012, 03:32 PM   #2
gorin

In my experience calling always gets you "We do not sell to the public" answer.
Being there in person on the other hand sometimes will make a difference. Look for a smaller scrap yards.
The same with tire shops - stop at every one you see, avoid the big chain stores - small, used-tire places are your best bet. Expect to pay from $5 to $75 per 5 gal bucket. My best deals have been at custom wheel places - those shiny 22" rims take a lot of stick-on weights, that cannot be reused. One time I got close to 400lbs from one store.
Old July 9, 2012, 03:53 PM   #3
jmortimer

Roto Metals is good source:
http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm
Old July 10, 2012, 08:42 PM   #4
10 Spot Terminator

You can alloy your own #2 alloy using clip on lead wheel weights, Linotype printers lead and tin. The ratio is as follows ,,,

9 lbs. of lead clip on ( no stick on ) wheel weights
2 lbs. of Linotype printers lead
7 ozs. of pure tin

This runs right at 15 BHN

10 Spot
Old July 12, 2012, 09:25 AM   #5
snuffy

Forget about #2 alloy. It contains 5% tin, way too much. Any more that 2% is unnecessary, or wasted. Lead is wherever you find it. You need to be patient. I talk a lot about guns AND the fact that I cast lead boolits.

I used to be surprised when somebody would come up to me and say something like this; Hey I have this stuff I think is lead, do you want it? Or hey they're scrapping this machine, it has counterweights that are lead. That one netted me 1500 # of nearly pure lead.

Another buddy said my dad has this "statue" or sculpture that he thinks is made of pewter!! I said what does it weigh? he said 150 pounds!!! Told him I'd pay fifty cents a pound for it. Next week he's there with it all melted down, cast into angle iron ingots, turned out to be 100 pounds, and it was nearly pure lead. But at $.50, it was a great deal. I handed him a 50 he was happier than a kid in a candy store.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?