The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 2, 2010, 09:43 PM   #1
MonteSS

ID plz

I hope this is the appropriate place for this.

I am looking to identify this old handgun and an approximate value and the best way to sell it if it is worth anything.

Small caliber, six shot. Wood handle and folding trigger. Pinfire I was told? Hexagon barrel. Little door that lifts up to load I guess. Was told possibly Belgium? No identifying markins on it.

Thanks...Bill
Old October 2, 2010, 09:59 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Pinfire all right.
A Belgian gun would have proof marks.
This one looks less rusty but rougher made than most.
Spanish?
No way to know for sure. If you were making a quality product, you would put your name on it, wouldn't you? And if you weren't?
Old October 2, 2010, 10:07 PM   #3
RJay

It does look Belgium and probably .32 or 320 caliber. value, these are rather common and have low value, in that condition, 50 to a hundred dollars as a curio.
Old October 2, 2010, 10:09 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those guns have a small collector following and a modest curio value, but only if in very good condition and identifiable, neither of which applies to that gun. They were inexpensive guns when new, selling in Europe for the equivalent of $2-3. My WAG on value would be in the $50 range, if that.

Jim
Old October 2, 2010, 10:26 PM   #5
MonteSS

Thanks for the quick replies. It actually is in slightly better condition than the pics show. They make it look very rusty.

I guess I'll just throw it back in the drawe. LOL

What is the legality of keeping such a gun and keeping/selling/mailing it?

I live in Virginia.

Thanks again...Bill

Last edited by MonteSS; October 2, 2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old October 2, 2010, 10:57 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

In VA, there is no problem keeping it or even selling it privately, but mailing it could be tricky, if you mean USPS. It qualifies as an antique, if not by age (made before 1 Jan 1899) then by the fact that it does not use available ammunition. (Only dealers can ship modern handguns via USPS.) Still, rather than try to argue with USPS employees, I would treat it like a modern gun and ship only to an FFL (dealer or curio & relic license). Again, the problem is that with such low value, shipping it via UPS or FedEx would cost a good part of what the gun is worth.

If it doesn't bother you having it, just keep it.

Jim
Old October 3, 2010, 11:02 AM   #7
Avenger

If it has an heirloom value to you, whip up a display box (find something that matches the grips, maybe?) and find a wall to hang it from. It's not a shooter now (and I'd have less than enthusiastic about firing it when it was new), but it is something old and neat...and that should earn it a reprieve from dusty oblivion.