The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 5, 2002, 05:35 AM   #1
KODB

Query: Has anyone used McCann Industries Garand gas screw?

Has anyone had experience with the adjustable gas plug that McCann industries manufactures? I believe that Fulton Armory sells this as well. I'm looking for a way to regulate gas port pressures on a Garand.

Regards,

Bob
Old June 5, 2002, 11:24 AM   #2
RickB

I spoke at length with mister McCann hisself about it (he's a table holder at a local gun show). The idea is that the full pressure is applied to the bullet, but then vented before it acts on the action? Full velocity, but less wear? Sounds like a good idea.
I do like the idea of using the large port to bleed enough gas to turn the gun into a straight-pull bolt action - after spending about four hours preparing 100 cases for loading, I'm in no mood to lose even one!
Old June 6, 2002, 08:14 AM   #3
sleeping dog

If bolt-action is the goal, you don't need anything real fancy. A spare gas plug with a 1/8" hole in the center will bleed off enough pressure that the action won't cycle.

The adjustable one sounds nice for keeping the gun semi-auto but not flinging brass more than a few feet. Also it should be good for not ruining op-rods with heavy bullets or slow powder.

I don't have an adjustable one yet. I use the drilled-out plug when I don't want to fling brass.

Regards