The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 11, 2013, 06:02 PM   #1
MLeake

Things they didn't try to keep me from buying...

So I was just enjoying a bit of a treat, when a thought occurred to me:

This World Market chocolate that I bought, milk chocolate with bacon in it, had to be pretty bad for me. Yet I did not have to show any form of ID in order to buy it, and other than FDA and business regulations, its manufacturer, wholesaler, and retailer didn't have to jump any hurdles to put it in my hands. (More accurately, at this point, into my gullet.)

I also bought some very tasty beers there, including some Abita pecan beer. (Up until now, I had only seen pecan beer by Lazy Magnolia, so I guess Louisiana has decided to give Mississippi some competition.) I suppose I would have had to show ID, but I'm in my mid40's and don't look under 30, let alone under 21, so I rarely get carded.

Come to think of it, I didn't get carded the other day when I bought some dark rum.

I didn't need to show a driver's license, let alone a motorcycle endorsement (though I have both) when I picked up my Triumph 3-liter last August. I could very easily kill myself, a passenger, or other motorists or pedestrians with that thing. (809 lbs, 165 horsepower, 145 ft-lbs torque...)

If I smoked, I am quite sure I would not have to show an ID to buy tobacco products.

Oddly enough, chocolate, bacon, alcohol, and motorcycles are not mentioned specifically in the Bill of Rights.

Why, then, do I need my Missouri concealed weapons permit in order to carry; my Missouri driver's license in order to buy; and some cooperative Fed interpreting a database in order to receive?

I won't even get into the questions of why did the government trust me as pilot in command and mission commander of a $40M aircraft, or with weapons release authority delegated from the Commanding Officer aboard a Nimitz class carrier, but that same government gets nervous about my carry permit...

Something does seem rather irrational and hypocritical about the whole thing, though.
Old January 11, 2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
I won't even get into the questions of why did the government trust me as pilot in command and mission commander of a $40M aircraft, or with weapons release authority delegated from the Commanding Officer aboard a Nimitz class carrier, but that same government gets nervous about my carry permit...
Not the same government. Some state governments do not require you to have a carry permit.

All those other apples and oranges you mention have various legislation attached to them because government always grows, never shrinks, people ask their legislators to make laws to suit them and they oblige.
Old January 11, 2013, 06:17 PM   #3
MLeake

Oh, it is the same government that pushes for all transactions to go through NICS; it is the same government that won't let me buy a handgun directly in Kansas, though the nearest KS gun shop is about as close as the nearest MO gun shop to where I live; it is the same government that has the NFA.

Missouri is actually pretty user friendly, as state governments go. Training requirement isn't bad, as training requirements go. Prohibited areas are few.

Could it be better here? Sure, but it could easily be much, much, worse.

But the Feds are my bigger concern.

I can choose not to live in other states, and to minimize my travels to and through states with laws I don't like. I can't really avoid the Feds, when they over-reach.

I did write my senators and congressman, though, with regard to the latest gun control circus.
Old January 11, 2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Missouri is actually pretty user friendly, as state governments go. Training requirement isn't bad, as training requirements go. Prohibited areas are few.
We don't do all that here. We just go down to the sheriffs office pay $15 and he makes sure we are not a habitual drunkard. Part time drunkard is ok. I think it is all about the $15.
Old January 11, 2013, 06:24 PM   #5
MLeake

Yeah, Georgia was similar.

Florida would accept my DD-214 in lieu of training, but I like to know the state's laws on self-defense, so I took a training course there anyway.

Guns are easy. Laws are more difficult.

I don't like "mandatory" training. On the other hand, I put myself through a fair amount of optional training.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Unspoken

Honestly my mind started wandering as I was drooling at the potential of bacon-laced chocolate. Whoever thought of that deserves the Nobel Prize.

Why, then, do I need my Missouri concealed weapons permit in order to carry; my Missouri driver's license in order to buy; and some cooperative Fed interpreting a database in order to receive?

You know how we gun owners love that phrase at the end of the 2nd amendment, "shall not be infringed"? Well there's also a phrase in there we tend to overlook when gun control is talked about: "a well regulated militia."

They will milk that for all it's worth.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:59 PM   #7
Evan Thomas

Actually, bacon-laced chocolate sounds totally disgusting to me. :upchuck:

But let us not forget Mayor Bloomberg and the Giant Soda Ban. (Whatever happened to that, anyway?)
Old January 12, 2013, 01:04 PM   #8
MLeake

You would be amazed at the things that go well with chocolate. I still have some chipotle chili chocolate - excellent stuff.

I recently read an article about government interference in one school district capping lunches at 350 calories; the football team was not happy, as the metabolisms of large athletes are not the same as the metabolisms of couch potatoes.

I bet the folks who imposed that restriction also favor gun control.

Control is the operative word.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:28 PM   #9
sigcurious

Quote:
Well there's also a phrase in there we tend to overlook when gun control is talked about: "a well regulated militia."
We don't overlook it, it's already been looked at and been deemed several to the individual right to keep and bear arms by the courts. Anti's can parade that phrase out all they want but they are the ones overlooking it's now formally recognized meaning.

Quote:
Guns are easy. Laws are more difficult.
This is unfortunately all too true, particularly when the solution seems to be make more laws and add more complexity to a broken set of laws. Instead of iron out the inconsistencies, overreaches and practical failures of current laws, then actually enforce them.
Old January 12, 2013, 03:48 PM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

I support shall-issue permits for Nimitz carriers. However, that's too big for me and I want an Arleigh Burke.

I will avoid the debate that the new LCS has limited stopping power.

I get your point. But note that in NYC, Bloomberg has tried to or has banned Big Gulps and Baby formula. Donated food for the poor that was to fatty was rejected.

Is this really gun related? You did mention chocolate so I will let it go for awhile.

My vice is high end fancy cheeses - also bad for me.
Old January 12, 2013, 07:16 PM   #11
berettaprofessor

Quote:
Oddly enough, chocolate, bacon, alcohol, and motorcycles are not mentioned specifically in the Bill of Rights
No, but I think we'd better start working on those amendments if we want to keep them....in case Bloomberg becomes President.

I understand Glenn thinking about closing it, but the OP's point is borderline about gun control; the OP is just mistaken in thinking that his personal favorites won't be banned as well if somebody gets around to it. Busybodies are everywhere.