The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 16, 2012, 09:11 AM   #51
moxie

"You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old October 17, 2012, 03:30 PM   #52
vyse.04

Quote:
The smallest .45 is a derringer type pistol called the Heizer Double Tap.
But can you buy one is the real question... They lost their manufactorer recently, although I think they are looking elsewhere.
Old October 17, 2012, 08:46 PM   #53
.45 Aficianado

RsqVet Although the bullet is not contacting the feed ramp in the photo I showed, I believe that suggests a problem with the slide binding as it comes forward. After firing several rounds, I can see a bronze streak half way up the feed ramp to the chamber from the PMC FMJ I'm shooting. Maybe I should switch ammo, and see if that makes a difference in reliability, although I've been happy with it in my other guns. Attached are images of the factory mags for the AMT .45 Backup, Kimber .45 Ultra Carry II, and Colt .45 Govt Model, Series '70. The only thing I noticed different about the feed, was how much harder it was to push the round out of the magazine in the AMT. Maybe the lip edges are rough creating friction on the moving cartridge. It's one thing I have not yet fluffed and buffed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMT . 45 Backup Magazine.JPG (119.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg AMT Kimber Colt Magazines.JPG (90.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg AMT Kimber Colt Magazine Components.JPG (112.2 KB, 32 views)
Old October 19, 2012, 06:32 PM   #54
.45 Aficianado

Quote:
"You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."
That's O.K. with me, since I don't own or need a purse! I do need a reliable BUG, even if I've got to do my own QC.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:02 PM   #55
454me

Click on my link at the bottom and go to the Amt page. I put 2 pics on there showing the hammer to frame. My hammer doesn't touch the frame. It is closer to the left side than the right side. If you need precise measurements I can mic it for you. My camera does not have a macro feature so the closest one is not exactly clear. Hope this helps.

http://community.webshots.com/user/454me
Old October 25, 2012, 07:17 PM   #56
454me

I lied for some reason I keep getting a upload error on the web shots server. I don't know another way to do it unless I can put it directly here. Do you know how to put the pictures here?

Old October 25, 2012, 10:56 PM   #57
.45 Aficianado

Click on the FAQs attachments and images. It's easy.
Old October 28, 2012, 09:10 PM   #58
454me

Ok I am trying to insert the pictures hope this works. I had to go shrink them all so they would upload. I hate computers. They are the stupidest things in the house. Even the refrigerator knows to turn on the light when you open the door. The computer knows nothing.

Hammer slide on one 1.jpg

Hammer slide on two.jpg

Lookin down into frame slide one off.jpg

Old October 31, 2012, 10:19 PM   #59
.45 Aficianado

454me:
Your gun's relation of hammer to slide off center to the left looks very similar to mine. Have you shot it much? Are you getting hammer rub on the left lower frame when the hammer slams back in cycling another round from the magaine? Does the last round in the magazine flip up in the ejection port without entering the chamber causing a "live round stove-pipe" AKA BOB?

On the "Stovepipe Opinions" thread on this forum, the discussion for the BOB has centered around magazine problems (springs, lips, etc.).
Old November 1, 2012, 11:29 AM   #60
Sulaco2

I was looking over my box of holsters last night and noted I still have a hand made belt holster for an AMT BU .45 DAO pistol. Send me an message if interested for you gun.
Old November 1, 2012, 07:29 PM   #61
454me

My hammer looks close to the frame but it does not touch it. The problem I have is when clean it will shoot most of the time ok. After about 4 mags it will start to not go all the way into battery. A little push forward and it will fire. The other problem I have is it will throw out a live round once in a while. It will go click and when you pull the slide back the chamber will be empty. I will then find a live round on the ground. I think the slide not going forward can be fixed with a new spring. I am planning on getting one of these when I get time. The round coming out may be a mag feed lip problem. I have 5 factory mags and I even numbered them so I can keep track of what each one is doing. It doesn't seem to make a difference which mag it is. I have about 200 rounds through it. No place real close to shoot so I don't get out often.

Old November 3, 2012, 10:14 AM   #62
.45 Aficianado

I think the problem with the slide not coming all the way forward without a push after shooting through a few magazines is from either powder fouling or inadequate lubrication. One shooter sprays his with powder solvent when this happens and says that takes care of it. I have switched to using TW25b NRA synthetic gun grease on the slide and frame rails which eliminated the problem for me. The live round on the ground problem is very similar to the live round stovepipe. In my case, the round was flipping up out of the magazine sporadically without contacting the feed ramp due to the mag lips being spread to wide, instead of guiding the round all the way forward before releasing it.
Old April 8, 2013, 08:41 PM   #63
ninjaamt

Hi Guys, nice to see this post! I have been working on my .45 DAO also, and do not want to give up since I overall like it! Replaced all the springs and polished everything although still waiting on my Wolf XS recoil spring. I believe as someone noted on the forum, that the secret is in the mags! I have 3 where only 1 works well. One of them even spits out an occasional live round in between shots! As it stands, I am getting several failures to fully go into battery out of a box of 50 rounds. I am planning to get a modern follower and spring and fit it in the better mag., or get a hybrid Wilson mag and cut and weld to fit. Has anyone had succes with this approach?
Old April 13, 2013, 07:02 AM   #64
ninjaamt

How about the Wolf xs spring? Is it much heavier? Does anyone know the spring weight stock vs the Wolf??
Old March 21, 2016, 04:54 PM   #65
hwrdsquires

amt 45 backup

Anyone know a source for a stronger recoil spring? Mine is an early DA2xxx serial#. Had it for years but it's only reliable with 230gr FMJ hardball.
Old March 21, 2016, 05:04 PM   #66
peggysue

High Standard, in Texas? http://www.highstandard.com/index.php/home-amt