The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 30, 2002, 05:27 PM   #1
BigJon

Resurrecting a Colt 1878 Hammer Shotgun

I have my great grandfather's Colt 1878 Hammer 12 gauge shotgun. The mechanism still functions perfectly. However, the barrels are badly pitted on the insides, so I do not want to run the risk of shooting even black powder loads through it. The last time it was shot was at least 30 years ago, which is when I acquired it from my grandfather. He had at some time before then fired very light smokeless hand loads in it.

Would it be possible to resurrect this shotgun by having the barrels sleeved to 20 gauge? I know Briley makes tube sets, but I am more interested in making this a permanent fix. How would it be done? Bore out the existing barrel to accommodate steel sleeves?

Yes, I know it would be expensive and thoroughly impractical to do this.

Regards,
Jon
Old October 30, 2002, 05:46 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Expensive, si; impractical, seems not.

Briley will do the permanent job, too.
From their price list:

Sleeving (Most O/U, S/S) $1400.00
With 4 screw-in chokes add $300.00

Sleeving (down one ga.) $1550.00
With 4 screw-in chokes add $300.00

Which is interesting, is the $1400 job a monobloc conversion back to the original gauge? I don't know, call 'em up.
Technical (713) 932-6995
Old October 30, 2002, 05:48 PM   #3
Old Fuff

As it is, your 1878 Colt shotgun has a collector's value that would be ruined if you bored the barrels and installed permanent tubes. Removeable tubes would allow you to shoot the gun without effecting its value. As it's worth will increase over time if it isn't altered I would carefully consider this before I made a move.
Old October 30, 2002, 05:59 PM   #4
BigJon

Good advice, Jim. I may give 'em a yell.

Roger that, Fluff. Had considered this point. Not at all sure I'd ever do this; purely academic question at this point, at least until the L.C. Smith given to me by the son of the aforesaid Colt's original owner (my grandfather) gets back from having a bit o' smith'n work done itself.

Regards,
Jon
Old October 30, 2002, 07:07 PM   #5
bfoster

Light as Briley's tubes are to my mind they are much more practical for a gun to be used in the clay bird games than in a field gun that will be carried many miles over the course of a day afield.

If you're primarily a hunter, and if your Colt isn't a collector grade piece (determined by the condition of its' finish- see the Blue Book), it may be of more value to you as a working shotgun than as a collectors item.

To my mind (and I do hunt with several old shotguns), the most practical solution to badly pitted bores is another form of sleeving. Kirk Merrington of Kerrville, Texas, Telephone- (830) 367-2937) cuts the barrels just ahead of the lumps and bores out the remainder to insert new barrels. This is a very sound repair, the section into which the barrels are inserted functions just like a modern monoblock.

I have two shotguns of this approximate vintage that Merrington has done this to. His workmanship is impeccable.

Bob
Old October 31, 2002, 10:03 AM   #6
BigJon

bfoster - your post is both astute and correct. This shotgun does have a much higher subjective value as a shooter than as a collector's gun - would be pretty neat to hand my son his great-grandfather's shotgun some day. Thanks for the lead; sound just like what I was looking for.

Best regards,
Jon