The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 2, 2013, 08:22 AM   #1
ChasingWhitetail91

Target Poker?

Sorry ahead of time if I posted this in the wrong section, but I have heard a couple people talk about playing poker while target shooting. Anyone want to tell me how they play. Deal, draw, play your hand, bet, etc.

Im talking about how you incorporate it in with shooting, not how you play at a table with your buddies.
Old July 2, 2013, 08:44 AM   #2
SgtLumpy

The target is a large rectangle with playing cards (ace of clubs, 3 of hearts etc) printed on it. You shoot your "hand". Whatever the first "card" is you shoot, you then try and shoot the appropriate follow up cards so that you have a flush, straight, full house, 3-4 of a kind etc.

You could play 5 card, 7 card whatever you want. You could take "hits" from the "dealer" by saying "throw out the 2 and the 4" then shoot two more times to try and better your hand.

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 2, 2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Hunter Customs

The poker shoots I've shot in they staple a deck or decks of playing cards on a sheet of cardboard (indoors) with the face of the cards against the board so the shooter only sees the back of the cards.

The shooter shoots 5 cards removes them from the board and that's their hand, highest hand wins the pot.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old July 2, 2013, 08:52 AM   #4
SgtLumpy

That's an interesting version, Hunter. No skill involved? Just luck of the "which one did I hit"? Seems to defeat the purpose. Better marksmen have no advantage.

I've never been much for shooting poker or pool or pac man or any of the other variants. But I know some shooters really dig it.

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 2, 2013, 09:31 AM   #5
g.willikers

Our local archery club does this, with standard playing cards, facing forward.
With recurves and no sights, it's a real challenge at 20 yds.
It's still tough with sighted compounds.
It's a good game and lots of fun.
Old July 2, 2013, 11:10 PM   #6
DaleA

I've run across 'turkey shoots' that post an 8x10 sheet of paper with a grid on the back side with random numbers in the grid squares. You shoot at the blank front and they total up your score from the numbers on the back.

Yep, the only skill is hitting an 8x10 sheet of paper at 50 feet.

It really is a game of chance and the target shooters can't take home all the turkeys.

Another plus, people don't take a lot of time shooting their targets.
Old July 3, 2013, 07:01 AM   #7
griz

We had some poker shoots at a Cowboy Match. It was like the kind Hunter described, basically a random drawing except more fun. (You get to shoot five times for every hand, more shots = more fun) As proof of the randomness, I won!
Old July 3, 2013, 07:27 AM   #8
Hunter Customs

Yes the ones I shot were a game of chance, just like a regular card game, however I still had a lot of fun shooting them.

I don't know this for a fact, but I believe the reason the range that put on these shoots set them up the way they did was so novice shooters could play and have just as much of a chance to win as us guys that could cut x's.

The range that did these poker shoots put them on as a side match to their pin shooting matches, pin shooting does require skill and speed.
Some came just for the poker shoots and there was always more poker shooters then pin shooters.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Last edited by Hunter Customs; July 3, 2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old July 3, 2013, 09:29 AM   #9
MLeake

I had a friend who owned a poster printer. He would print a poster of a deck of 52 plus two Jokers. We would shoot our best hand of cards.

Alternately, he would print a poster of a dartboard, and we would shoot Cricket or 301.

Poster printers are handy.
Old July 3, 2013, 11:43 AM   #10
aarondhgraham

I do it a bit different,,,

I tape 30 cards to a piece of poster board,,,
The rest are kept back to deal from.

Each shooter gets dealt two cards which they look at,,,
Then they take 1-shot turns for 4 shots,,,
Then they get dealt the 7th card,,,
The best hand wins the deal.

They make their hands with three hole cards and whichever of the 4 cards they hit.

If they miss a card completely they only have 3 (or 2 or 1) cards plus their hole cards to make their hands with.

Place a white sticker dot on the bullet holes and deal again.

After 3 or 4 hands, we re-shuffle and tape 30 different cards to the poster board.

If we are in a betting mood we each "ante" a quarter or a buck in the pot for each new hand.

If you were aiming at say the Ace of Clubs but hit the 3 of diamonds,,,
The 3 of Diamonds is the card you get to use in your hand,,,
No need to call your shots this way.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 3, 2013, 08:13 PM   #11
SgtLumpy

Shooting "blind" at the backs of the cards, just seems weird to me. It becomes, essentially, a raffle. Now it could be a way to run a raffle, I guess. Instead of drawing the winning name from a hat, you'd get a winning name from whatever cards happened to spell out the best hand. But just like drawing from a hat, it's pure chance, no skill involved. Poker isn't pure chance. It's skill in knowing what do discard to form the winning hand.

If there was a really great prize, I s'pose I'd shoot the backs of cards.

Aw heck, even if there wasn't a great prize, I s'pose I'd shoot the backs of cards...

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 4, 2013, 11:25 AM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Back wards cards... But since shooter knows which corners have a number, they can go for a "wild card" on their hand by trying to hit the perceived spot where the suit emblem is on the corner under the numeral...

Brent
Old July 4, 2013, 11:27 AM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Sgt. Lumpy, it is more like you being able to draw your own hand from a mixed up pile on the floor since the dealer didn't deal them...

But that is why I like adding a wild card feature... Everyone likes a wild card in a dealt hand...

Brent
Old July 4, 2013, 02:05 PM   #14
SgtLumpy

I don't follow hogdogs.

Corners have a number?
Wildcard?

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 6, 2013, 02:17 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Sure they do... on 2 corners...

So rather than just aiming to hit the card, you aim for the corner hoping to hit either the emblem or the numeral which is, of course, hidden...

When you gather your 5-7 cards, if you were successful, the one/s with the corner shot accurately, you can call it a wild card and increase your chances at a winning hand...

Brent
Old July 6, 2013, 02:33 PM   #16
SgtLumpy

OK. I get it now about the wild card thing. Hit the number (or A J Q K) and it's a wild card.

Thanks -

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 7, 2013, 11:52 AM   #17
dodge

I'm in the process of setting up a poker shoot as described above. The whole deck will be placed on the cardboard with the face of the card against the cardboard. There will be four rows of thirteen cards. Each row will be marked A thru D and then each column 1 -13. The shooter will call the card he is shooting at an then after each shooter has shot his 5 shots that will be his/her hand. By having each shooter calling his/her shot I'm hoping that there won't be multiply shots on any one card. This is just as much about luck a having a dealer deal you five cards. I'm thinking 50 yards with .22's or 100 yards with centerfire rifles. The winner will get 1/2 the pot with the rest going o the club.
Old July 7, 2013, 01:06 PM   #18
SHE3PDOG

Seems like it would be cool to play a game of memory doing this. just staple two decks of cards, or actual memory cards to the target. The first couple of shots would be luck, but after that, you'd have to intentionally shoot specific cards to match the others. Might be cool.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old July 7, 2013, 01:30 PM   #19
alex0535

^I don't mean to get this thread off topic, but if your interested in memory games Shepdog, it is perfectly possible for any of us to learn how to memorize the order of a shuffled deck of cards. No photographic memory necessary, the trick relies entirely on one's own imagination.

This poker shoot seems like fun. When I shoot playing cards I tend to just shoot at the symbols on them from 75 yards with a rimfire rifle.
Old July 8, 2013, 06:50 AM   #20
griz

Quote:
If there was a really great prize, I s'pose I'd shoot the backs of cards.

Aw heck, even if there wasn't a great prize, I s'pose I'd shoot the backs of cards...
Yep, that's the whole point. It's a fun way to run a raffle.