The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 17, 2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Miketodd04

Review: Oakland County Tactical RDS-33X Holographic Sight/Laser

Oakland County Tactical Gear
RDS-33x GREEN & RED DOT ELECTRO SIGHT WITH LASER
I was sent this holographic sight to review by the owners ofOCT Gear. They are a great small business in Michigan looking to make a namefor themselves in the optics world. This sight is a holographic type that hasboth green and red dots as well as 4 different reticles. It also has an attached laser that is adjustable for windage and elevation and is operated via a pressure switch.

Opening the package.
Upon receipt of the package, I couldn’t wait to dive in. One of my biggest concerns was that this was going to be a light weight cheap optic. Upon inspection I was pleasantly surprised. This sight weighs in at just less than 10oz. I know it doesn’t sound like much but I was happy to see that it had a little bit of weight to it. It also seemed well built and very sturdy.I messed around with the reticles some and came to the conclusion that I just like the dots the best. I couldn’t wait to mount it on my AR and get to the range.

Range Time.
One of the good things about this sight is that comes withall the tools to fully adjust the sight and to mount on a rail. It also cowitnessed with my Magpul MBUS, which was a nice surprise. I went out to my local range and started off on the 25 yard line. I was a little high and left.I adjusted the elevation first and with just a few clicks, I was left but dead center of the bulls eye. I than adjusted for windage and I was dialed in at 25. I took it over to the 100 yard range and with just a few more adjustments I was shooting inside of the bulls eye. I thought to myself that it was to easy, so I decided to do a few test. I took the sight off and started throwing it up and catching it, than I dropped it on the dirt from standing height a few times. I put it back on the rail and shot 3 more rounds. It stayed zero through all of that. Also it claims to be water resistant, so poured some water on it from my water bottle to see if it would short out. All of the adjustment settings worked, the reticles switched and the laser would turn on and off after that.So far I was impressed with this little gem.

I put my rifle back in its case for a week and just let itsit. It got bumped some by other guns and knocked over a few times. After that week, I took it back to the range and low and behold it stayed zeroed. After that I decided that this sight is really worth the $109 price tag. I put it in a gun vice and adjusted the laser to where the red dot was on a wall at about 25 feet. I haven’t gotten to use the laser at a range, but it is nice to know that in a home defense situation, I don’t have to turn the sight on but I am confident that the laser is on point with my point of aim.

Final Thoughts:
Well I am pretty impressed with this little combo. Now I have used Eotechs, Aimpoints and Vortex red dots and have loved them all. Withthat being said, for a weekend shooter or someone wanting a holographic sight for home defense, I think this would be right up your alley. OCT Gear also has this one without the laser that would be just as good. The neat thing about the laser is in a pinch, you don’t have to rely on turning on the sigh and can use it in a very low light situation.

PROS:
Cost Effective: At $109.99, I don’t think you can go wrong with it.

It is easy to zero: I had this sight zeroed in after 12rounds at 100 yards and it has maintained zero.
Durability: So far this sight has held up to being dropped and getting it wet. I am not an operator, competition shooter or Law Enforcement, but for a weekend shooter that wants to try a hand at some 3 gun,I really like this sight.

CONS:
Reticles: I am not a fan of the 4 reticles. I like a simpledot that is easy to see. I feel that by offering more, the dots aren’t as crisp as they could be. With that being said, they are still easy to see and use.

Laser: I don’t think the laser is required. It is cool to have, but I could take it or leave it. Also, the pressure switch is attached to a long bungee type cord that could get in the way in CQB situations, I was able to run it so that it doesn’t get in the way on my rail, but I would rather have a straight cord.

Maker: These are made in China. OCT Gear does not have the ability yet to make them here in America so a company makes them to their specs. I’m sure that they will once they can, but hey, I like other brands that are made over seas.

Final Impression:

Overall, I like this little sight. I have let several people try it and everyone agreed that for the price, it is a nice package. I think OCT Gear can make some improvements, but once people start picking these up, I feel that they will get to be pretty popular. I will be running it on my AR for the time being and have no qualms about it.

All of their products can be seen at Oakland County Tactical’s website www.octgear.com and they can be purchased right now on their Amazon Store.

Thanks for reading my review and check back for some more!Hopefully the Video review will be coming soon.