The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 4, 2011, 05:39 PM   #1
benfishin

Second SBR Upper for Registered Lower

I am waiting on the form 4 from my dealer to register my Primary Weapon Systems Diablo 7" barrel 7.62 x 39 rifle. Next year when the approval comes back, I am considering a AAC 7.62 x 35 9" Blackout. Supposedly, I will be able to use one of AAC's suppressors to suppress it. I know that I will have to register the suppressor, but do I have the register the blackout upper since my PWS lower will already be registered?
Old July 5, 2011, 02:56 PM   #2
rjrivero

No. You only have to register your SBR in the "Full time" configuration. You can put a different upper on it any time you want on a "temporary" basis.

If you decided you wanted to sell your 7.62x39 upper, you would have to file a letter to the ATF notifying them of the permanent change of configuration. Otherwise, just mix and match to your heart's content.

Each suppressor requires it's own tax stamp as you already know.

Uppers are NOT regulated under the NFA.

Last edited by rjrivero; July 5, 2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old July 6, 2011, 03:17 AM   #3
benfishin

So is this where the engraving comes to play? Do I have to engrave the second upper with the name of my gun trust and serial # of the registered lower?
Old July 6, 2011, 07:30 AM   #4
Wiskey_33

Lowers are engraved, not uppers.
Old July 6, 2011, 02:26 PM   #5
hulley

I'm going through the same process now (starting it at least) and in Ga. I only have to register the lower. i can buy as many SBR uppers as I want but i can only attach them to the lower that is registered. At least thats how it was explained to me. I also asked about suppressors and was told that I only register the suppressor and can attach it to any of my guns (providing they fit of course).
Keep in mind, I'm just now starting the process and could easily be wrong, but registering the lower makes sense.