The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 19, 2009, 09:23 PM   #1
arkguy

Remington 700 Safety

Has anyone had or know anyone who has had issues with their Model 700 discharging when they disengage the safety?
Old November 19, 2009, 09:40 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

haven't heard of one....

But there was a recall on the Model 600 series rifles at one time, for this same problem.

Also be aware that if the trigger mechanism is "gummy" (from crud, or thickened oil in the cold) that pulling the trigger with the safety ON could result in firing when the safety is taken OFF.

And, if some one has "adjusted" the trigger, it could be set with insufficient sear engagement to remain cocked, which could also result in it firing when the safety comes off.

Get thee to a qualified gunsmith and have the rifle checked, it may need to go back to Remington. DO NOT LOAD IT AGAIN! (I know you know this, but it needs saying).

Good Luck, and please keep us informed as to the final results.
Old November 19, 2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Ridgerunner665

Yep...sounds like somebody "adjusted" the trigger.

Will the "hammer" drop if the bolt is closed real fast?
How bout if the butt of the rifle is thumped hard on the floor?
Old November 19, 2009, 09:47 PM   #4
jmr40

It is rare, but is a known concern. Lots of debate as to whether it is a design problem or user induced. Older Remingtons forced you to disengage the safety to open the bolt to unload the rifle. Some guns have discharged when the safety is disengaged. Newer guns allow the bolt to be opened while still on safe.

Some people are convinced the owners had to have had their fingers on the trigger when releasing the safety. Others claim the closed design of the Remington trigger allows gunk to accumulate in there and can cause the gun to fire when the safety is released.

I have an older 700 (1974). I recently removed it from the stock for a good cleaning. After reassembly I managed to get the gun to dry fire by pulling on the trigger with the safety on. When I released the safety the striker fired. Did this several times in a row. I took the gun out of the stock and checked everything and reassembled. I have not been able to reproduce that again. And it has never done that in the previous 35 years I've owned the rifle.
Old November 19, 2009, 09:48 PM   #5
arkguy

The gun is only 2 years old this month, and has never been tampered with. I have googled and found where there has been news reports and other comments on this issue for this model but is on older models 1980s and back.