The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 22, 2013, 11:14 AM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

Do any of you use the Dillon 650?

I've been using a Dillon Square Deal for reloading straight wall pistol cases since the 90s. But I'm looking at Dillon's video for the 650.

This automatically progresses with each pull of the handle? You load the cases, in bulk, in the case receptacle, and all you have to do is put the bullet in place, and pull the handle?

It looks like it comes with a single caliber of your choice. How much are additional calibers?

Compared to the Square Deal, how difficult is it to change calibers?
Old November 22, 2013, 11:54 AM   #2
MtnCreek

Quote:
You load the cases, in bulk, in the case receptacle, and all you have to do is put the bullet in place, and pull the handle?
The case feeder is an option and not included in the base price, unless something has changed since I purchased. With the case feeder, add bullet and pull handle (don't forget to push the handle too, or you won't seat a primer).

Quote:
It looks like it comes with a single caliber of your choice. How much are additional calibers?
That's going to depend a lot. Some swaps may only need buttons and case bushing, some need the complete (I think $75) conversion. You may also want to add a toolhead / cal and even a measure / cal.

Quote:
Compared to the Square Deal, how difficult is it to change calibers?
30 min or so for me, but I clean/lube every time I swap cartridges.
Old November 22, 2013, 12:16 PM   #3
MarkCO

Set up right for say two calibers is about 1k. Conversions take about 5 minutes and $80. I load 8 calibers on it. Wonderful press.
Old November 22, 2013, 01:07 PM   #4
jmorris

Quote:
This automatically progresses with each pull of the handle? You load the cases, in bulk, in the case receptacle, and all you have to do is put the bullet in place, and pull the handle?
You can even set them up better than that, so you only have to pull the handle.

This is a video of one of mine.

The 650 comes standard with the device that feeds the cases from a tube into the shell plate, the option is the case collator or case feed, feeder.

Change over depends. It is quicker to change out the tool head on the 650 (2 pins)than the SD (4 socket head cap screws). I would give the edge to the SD on primer system change out, shell plate and it has no case feed stuff to swap out.
Old November 22, 2013, 02:24 PM   #5
BigJimP

Yes, I use a 650 - with a case feeder for all of my handgun ammo ( in 6 calibers ).....

check the prices in the current catalog, but to change calibers is approx.:

To change Calibers
Powder check system $69
Quick chg kit - stand $108
toolhead & powder measure
Caliber conversion kit $78
Dies for new caliber $64
Case Gague $16
$334.50
--------------------
Converting the press from one caliber to the next takes about 15 or 20 minutes...( you need to clean and lube the press when you change calibers usually ).....and typically, most progressive press users.... will load and box a quantity of cartridges ( 500 - a few thousand ) before they change calibers.

So change over speed is no issue...( at least to me ).
Old November 22, 2013, 03:39 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

I have manufactured many tens of thousands of rds on mine.....in a week.....

Get the roller handle!
Old November 22, 2013, 03:58 PM   #7
BigJimP

I have 6 primer fill tubes for small pistol primers / and 6 for large pistol primers....

When I sit down to the press ( the 650 ) I fill all 6 tubes....and reload 600 rds in 45 min or so ..../ case gague them all - and box them up ....and put them in inventory on top of my safe. So I just grab an hour here and there out of my day, when it suits me best, and load a little bit.

It just doesn't take much time, to make sure you have an inventory.
-----------
My shop is in my home ....no kids running around / I lock the shop when the grandkids are around ....so it just sits there until I want to run another batch. With 4,000 bullets coming in a case of 115 FMJ Montana Gold ( 80 boxes ) ...but even with a caliber like 9mm, that I shoot a lot - I build up about 40 boxes in inventory ...and when I get down to about 10 boxes, I install that caliber in the press...
-----------
and yes, get the roller handle .../ and the powder check system...
Old November 22, 2013, 04:52 PM   #8
DennRN

Jmorris, your gear always makes me drool... I am especially jealous of your automated bullet casting machine.

Froghorn, I just want to be clear that the Dillon 650 come with your choice of CALIBER CONVERSION KIT, not the dies, so for your initial purchase you have to add in the cost of the dies for your chosen caliber. Each additional caliber you want to load requires a caliber conversion kit plus that caliber die set. The upside is that it uses standard threaded dies unlike the proprietary SDB dies, so you can move them to any standard press without issue.

If you don't mind not having all the bells and whistles the caliber change kit and dies are all you need, however I also highly recommend getting at least as many toolheads as calibers you plan and loading, that way you can set the dies once and locktite them in and not have to worry about tinkering too much with them after each conversion.

If you opt for the case feeder, please be aware you will get one shell plate for that included in the price but switching to different calibers may require you to use another plate eg. 9mm uses small pistol plate, 45 acp uses large pistol plate, 223 uses small rifle plate.

I went "full r3t@rd" and bought all the bells and whistles on mine and it went into the 1.5k range for 2 calibers and a fully kitted 650.
I agree about getting the roller handle, and also suggest you get the spare parts kit. Dillon will replace anything that breaks "no B.S." but you don't want to stare at a broken machine that just needs a spring or plastic part while you wait for the mail to deliver it.
Just an FYI Dillon will replace parts you use from your spare parts kit!
Old November 22, 2013, 08:25 PM   #9
kilimanjaro

It's a good press for those who reload a lot of ammo.

Each caliber will cost you about $125 for the conversion kit and the dies.

For 8 calibers, as you mention, plan on an expense of around $2,000 for press, dies, kits, powder funnels, toolheads, the works.
Old November 22, 2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Valornor

I seriously looked at buying the 650 but ended up settling on the 550. I moved from a lee 1000 pro with auto progression. It's taken a bit of getting use to losing the auto pregression. Biggest reason I didn't go with the 650 is the price of tooling.When it came down numbers it didn't add up. I load between 5 to 10k round per year. My only complaint is that it takes a lot longer to switch calibers and clean up.

Unless you're loading a ton of rounds I would save a few bucks and go with the 550.

Looking for a new blog dealing with firearms and reloading, check out http://theheadstamp.com/
Old November 24, 2013, 08:21 AM   #11
jmorris

Quote:
Yes, I use a 650 - with a case feeder for all of my handgun ammo ( in 6 calibers ).....

check the prices in the current catalog, but to change calibers is approx.:

To change Calibers
Powder check system $69
Quick chg kit - stand $108
toolhead & powder measure
Caliber conversion kit $78
Dies for new caliber $64
Case Gague $16
$334.50
--------------------
Unless you modify the tool head pin, you have to remove the powder check die to swap tool heads. They also come with 3 different arbors, buy two extra of the adjustable notched part, jam nuts and die bushings when you order it and you can save the better part of the $69 for the entire unit. All you have to do to swap them is remove the bolt and replace it on the next tool head after installation and drop in the preset arbor.

Same goes for the powder measure. You have to take it off to empty out the powder. Loosen one socket head cap screw at this point and swap out just the powder bar. I do write on the end what powder and charge they are set at.

I keep the tool head, PC arbor and powder bar in gallon ziplock bags in a cabinet. Save you a few hundred bucks for not that much more work.
Old November 24, 2013, 12:11 PM   #12
BigJimP

I have a toolhead set up for each caliber....with dies and powder measure..and the powder check die installed in each toolhead.

That's what the quick change kit allows you to do....
------------------
550 vs 650.... If you go with the 550:
a. it manually indexes ( introducing the potential for more human error )
b. it does not have the 5th hole in the tool head to allow for installation of the powder check die..

650 - gives you both of those options back ...and incremental cost over the long run - where you'll probably have this press for many, many years...is not significant / just the powder check die alone - and its extra safety protection - is worth every penny, in my view.
Old November 24, 2013, 01:26 PM   #13
jmorris

What did you do for the front pin that keeps the tool head in place?
Old November 24, 2013, 01:45 PM   #14
BigJimP

There are 2 black pins that hold a toolhead in place on a 650..../ you just pull them out - slide the new toolhead in place...and drop the pins back in...
---------------
I'm not sure I understand your question ??
Old November 24, 2013, 02:36 PM   #15
snuffy

If you get a 650, it will come with an instruction manual. In the back it will list each and every quick change kit made. Along with the part numbers. You can see if the parts you need for another caliber might be the same ones you already have. For instance, going from .308 to 30-06, the shell plate is the same #.(45 acp can be also loaded with the same shell plate).

By doing that, you can save some money, sometimes quite a bit. Powder funnels for the likes of 9mm, 9x21, .380, 357 sig, 38 super are all the same . Just ordering the complete caliber change for each will result in you having 5 powder funnels all the same. You can pick and choose ONLY the parts you NEED to make the change.

I first got the 650 withOUT the case feeder. What a bummer having to stop to manually place empties in the case feed tube! A month later, the case feeder completed the press along with 3 plates. I bought the small pistol plate later when I started loading nines.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 24, 2013, 04:23 PM   #16
jmorris

Quote:
There are 2 black pins that hold a toolhead in place on a 650..../ you just pull them out - slide the new toolhead in place...and drop the pins back in...
---------------
I'm not sure I understand your question ??
On my 650's, with the PC mounted in the tool head, you can't get the front pin out. The part that holds the PC to the die bushing is in the way, I have to take it off to get the pin out.
Old November 24, 2013, 04:47 PM   #17
Chaz88

As mentioned you can use most brands of dies in the 650. But I found that it was worth getting the Dillon dies because they fit better and are easier to set up in the 650.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 24, 2013, 06:50 PM   #18
snuffy

J Morris, unless you have your powder measure/expander in station 3, there should not be an interference problem with the front pin. While I suppose it's possible to mount the measure in #3, it's normally in #2. On mine, the front pin is along side the powder sensor, plenty of clearance to remove/install. At least when loading handgun ammo.

For rifle I use a Hornady powder measure,(case activated), in station #3. Powder sensor then goes in station #4 backwards, seat at station #5.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 25, 2013, 10:16 AM   #19
jmorris

Ah, I had my head up my butt. It's because I use the GSI tool head/bullet feeders. The push rod for the PC die is in a different location than the stock tool heads.
Old November 25, 2013, 12:45 PM   #20
BigJimP

boy was I getting confused....good, glad to know we have it figured out now....