The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2013, 05:05 PM   #1
leadchucker

Variations in primers

So far, I've been loading CCI small pistol primers in my Lee Safety prime, on the press. Never had any problem.

The only primers I found at the last gun show were Winchester or Federal. I had heard of too many problems with the Federal primers, so I bought the Winchesters.

They don't slide down the chute quite as smoothly as the CCI's did. This is the first time I've had primers seat sideways or upside down.

Anyone else noticed that the Winchester primers appear to be just a tad thicker than the CCI's?
Old January 19, 2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

I don't have a Lee press. I have never had any problems with Winchester primers that I can remember. I prefer them over all others with my press.
Old January 19, 2013, 11:54 PM   #3
j357

I do not recall any issues with using Win or Rem vs CCI. I do use mostly small CCIs. The Lee Safety primer on the press (single or turret) should give you plenty of opportunity to see if the primer is oriented correctly prior to seating it the wrong way. Any off chance you are using the wrong size primer pan (black vs white)? IIRC white is for large primers, black Safety Prime is for small.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:31 AM   #4
Sevens

Winchester primers these days are of the brass color. They used to be nickel plated like the CCI primers are. That plating makes a big difference in how well they slide, especially in Lee plastic chutes.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:44 AM   #5
rodfac

Regarding your feed problems, I'd call Lee and see what they have to say. I do know that my Dillon 550B presses will not feed CCI's reliably, but have no problem with Winchesters...if anything, I'd say that the CCI's have a slightly larger diameter then Winchesters, tho I've never checked them with a Mic. You might try cleaning your primer feed tube or feed assembly...they do tend to accumulate primer dust, which is also a NS fire hazard.

As to reliability, I've used Winchester primers almost exclusively for over 30 years in all sizes with no problems....everything from .22 Hornet to .45-70. I've had no problems even with 100 yr+ old Winchester lever guns in .44-40 and .38-40, with their relatively light hammer blows. In the handgun calibers, I've used them with tip-up S&W's in .32 S&W, and several Colts of 1900 vintage, again with no problems.

HTH's, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; January 20, 2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:17 PM   #6
twice barrel

Over the years I've used Winchester, Remington, CCI and Federal primers and never saw any difference (on metallic cartridges) other than how they package them. I do remember years ago having some Winchester 209's that were so hard that my older double barrel's rounded firing pins wouldn't set them off where my 1100 would bust'm just fine.

And I prefer the primers packaged laying on their side in small square packages that my primer tray completely covers just for the ease of loading them into my primer feeder.