The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 10, 2015, 07:36 AM   #1
Gary Slider

Maine Permitless Carry and Exceptions!!!!!!

With Permitless Carry coming to Maine on or about October 14, 2015. The exact date depends on the date the Legislature adjourns. (Adjournment is scheduled for July 16.) There will be some circumstances in which an optional handgun permit will still be required to legally carry and certain things they must do that a permit holder doesn’t. Below are the places that will still require a permit/license that Maine Issues or Honors to legally carry in those places. Those carrying under Permitless Carry can’t carry in those places as they require a Maine Permit or a Permit from a state Maine Honors. www.handgunlaw.us will update the Maine page when the new law takes effect.

• Acadia National Park (Permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756)
• State Parks (Permit required; open carry not permitted; 12 M.R.S. § 1803(7))
• Regular archery hunting-deer only (Permit required; 12 MRS § 11403)
• Employees’ vehicles on work premises (Permit required; vehicle must be locked and firearm must not be visible; 26 M.R.S. §600)
• Those carrying under permitless carry must notify officers immediately in any official contact.

Maine is already stating the above on their website at this link:
http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/license...%20Summary.pdf

Maine’s WILL NOT honor all other states permit/licenses like the other states that have gone permitless carry but they will have a new Reciprocity law that goes into effect the same date as Permitless Carry law. Today Maine only honors resident permits from 8 other states. Delaware, South Dakota, Louisiana, North Dakota - Class 1 Permits, Wyoming, Arkansas, Pennsylvania and Michigan. With their new reciprocity law it should go to 25+ states that they will honor. That will take some time for those other states to sign on. Here is their new Reciprocity law and as you can see it will only be resident licenses from the states they honor. People can carry without a permit but will be unable to carry in or in the situations listed above that those with a Maine or Permit they honor can.
25 MRSA §2001-A, sub-§2,

F. A handgun carried by a person to whom a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun has been issued by that person's state of residence if that person's state of residence honors a permit to carry a concealed handgun issued under this chapter;

Below is the new law for Permitless Carry as signed by the Governor.

12 MRSA §11212, Motor vehicles and motorboats

B. A person may not, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, have a cocked and armed crossbow or a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except that a person who is 21 years of age or older and is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm or is 18 years of age or older and under 21 years of age and is on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard or is an honorably discharged veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer or other type of vehicle a loaded pistol or revolver

25 MRSA §2001-A,

2. Exceptions. The provisions of this section concerning the carrying of concealed weapons do not apply to:

A-1. A handgun carried by a person who is 21 years of age or older and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm or is 18 years of age or older and under 21 years of age and is on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard or is an honorably discharged veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm.

25 MRSA §2003-A. Duty to inform law enforcement

When an individual who is carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of this chapter and who does not have a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun that has been issued as provided in this chapter first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this State or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment or routine traffic stop, that individual shall immediately inform that law enforcement officer of the fact that the individual is carrying a concealed handgun.

25 MRSA §2004 Failure to inform law enforcement.

A person who fails to comply with section 2003-A commits a civil violation for which a fine of not more than $100 may be adjudged.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old July 10, 2015, 09:06 AM   #2
Gary Slider

I posted this on another board when someone ask the question of what Handgunlaw.us believed would be the 25+ states that Maine would honor. I thought I would post it here also. GS

AK, AL, AR, AZ, DE, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, ND, NC, NE, OH, OK, PA, SD, TN, UT, WY already honor Maine. CO, FL and GA will honor anyone who honors them. So that will be 27 states that Maine will honor. MN reciprocity law has just changed and they have a good chance of honoring Maine. WV has been trying to get an agreement with Maine for a year now. Other states that may sign on with Maine but I can’t be positive about are VA, TX and WI. Some state require a signed agreement. Maine has signed agreements in the past so they should still sign agreements.

Handgunlaw.us believes the wording of Maine’s new Reciprocity law means that the date the law goes into effect Maine should automatically honor
AK, AL, AR, AZ, DE, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, ND, NC, NE, OH, OK, PA, SD, TN, UT and WY as their law states they will honor anyone who honors them. We will just have to wait and see.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old July 10, 2015, 04:24 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Well, it doesn't help me any.
  • I'm not a Maine resident
  • Permits are required in Acadia National Park (which is where I want to go)
  • I have non-resident prmits from three states from which Maine will recognize resident permits, but my home sdtate isn't on the list.

I'm happy for Maine residents, but I wish they had honored "equal protection" and included non-residents.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; July 10, 2015 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old July 10, 2015, 07:55 PM   #4
mete

PA has been changing over to a NON-honoring of other states' permits !
Old July 10, 2015, 11:39 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mete
PA has been changing over to a NON-honoring of other states' permits !
No, not really.

What AG Kane has been doing (unilaterally and, some say, unlawfully) is renegotiating reciprocity agreements so that PA generally now recognizes out-of-state permits only for residents of the issuing state. For example, it used to be possible for a New York resident to obtain a non-resident permit from Florida and carry legally in Pennsylvania. No more. PA now recognizes FL permits only for residents of FL.

I don't think PA has dropped any states from recognition.