The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 24, 2009, 10:53 PM   #1
torymax

Gunsmith 1300 barrel

I thought I would pass on some good information that may benefit all of you in regards to a custom shotgun barrel vs. a factory barrel. One night I was surfing the web and encountered a gunsmith's website regarding how factory choke threads in shotguns may not be straight but crooked when leaving the factory and causing patterns not to shoot POI. I had a 1300 Winchester barrel that would always have pattern issues reagrdless of loads and chokes used in the barrel. It would never shoot POA. After reading this fellow's website and studying pictures of flawed choke threads, I proceeded to call him and discuss my problems with the winchester 1300 barrel. His name was Mr. Schupp and his website is theshotgunshop.net. His knowledge and experience really woke me up to the actual real potential of a custom shotgun barrel. My barrel was 26 inches long in factory length and he discussed endless possibilities to improve the barrel. We discussed prices and features to enhance my shooting uses for the barrel. I am a dedicated coyote hunter year round in Ohio and a shotgun with #4 buckshot is my weapon of choice. Originally I used hevishot dead coyote loads and the price of these shells were a killer on my bank account. I sent off the barrel to him US mail and when I got the barrel back I was amazed. He shortened the barrel to 24 inches and made me a custom ported choke, lengthened forcing cone, polished the bore, and reinstalled me a new bead. The choke was made custom by him and the choke seats so good in the barrel, it is very hard to see where the choke meets the barrel. Yes, the tolerance is that good. He even shot the barrel as a "test drive" and analyzed the patterns to my liking before even shipping the barrel back to me. The cool part of the experience is I do not use any hevishot any more for coyotes. I use premium federal #4 buckshot 3 inch magnums which are cheaper and can hit 85% of the pattern at 45 yards when I shot the barrel myself. Turkey loads are a plus too and #6 copper plate 1 1/2 oz. hit 80% at 44 yards when tested at my local range. I even cracked a squirrel out of a tree stone dead at 38 yards using 1 1/4 oz. #6 B&P ammo during this year's squirrel season. I used a rangefinder to calculate my distances for shooting. Mr. Schupp called me and gave me updates on the progress of the barrel as he was working on it. This is my first experience in dealing with a gunsmith who has done after market work for me on barrels and all I can say is "Super satisfied". The pictures show the choke and how polished the bore is looking down the barrel. Sorry if the pictures are not great but it's the best I could do. I killed 8 coyotes so far this year in 2009 with the shotgun and not only have I saved money on ammo, but my barrel is a super performer. Check out his website and look at his pictures and advice he offers on his work. Mr. Schupp if you are out there, thanks alot/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (85.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 019.jpg (86.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (191.8 KB, 42 views)
Old November 25, 2009, 04:40 AM   #2
zippy13

Greetings, troymax and welcome aboard.
Thanks and congratulations for a great job on your first posting.