The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 6, 2004, 06:20 PM   #1
Psomizo

Gun scrub? Ever heard of it?

I have a hunting buddy that swears by this stuff. He says anytime he gest a muddy or fould gun he just srpays this stuff down th barrela and its clean as a wistle.

Gun Scrub gun cleaner.Anyone ever heard of it?
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would."

John Adams
Old November 6, 2004, 08:47 PM   #2
Dave Markowitz

Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber.

It's works very well, but it's expensive. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner as found in the auto parts section of your local mart is the same stuff and much cheaper.

Note that if you use either Gun Scrubber or brake cleaner on a gun, it completely degreases whatever you spray it on. So, make sure you put a light coat of oil on when you're finished.
Old November 6, 2004, 09:31 PM   #3
eka

This stuff works pretty good, but as Dave said it is on the expensive side. I use it sparingly. I use it to clean out the frame and trigger assembly on my autos. Be careful around plastic parts and grips. It will mess them up if you're not careful. I have not tried the brake cleaner, but Gun Scrubber is available at Wally World or just about any sporting goods store.
Old November 7, 2004, 09:18 AM   #4
Japle

As a Nat'l Guard armorer, I used a lot of brake cleaner. If you take off any wood or plastic parts, it's great stuff.
It's the best thing I ever saw for getting the carbon out of M-60 buffer tubes - not a problem most of us will have to face.
You must re-lube. Brake cleaner will remove all the lube and doesn't leave any residue.

John
Cape Canaveral