The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 24, 2000, 07:16 PM   #1
DaMan

I'm looking for a very accurate load for my NEF .30-30 barrel. Spitzer design preferred. Scorching velocities not required. I just want the best accuracy possible from a 1-10" twist. Any suggestions?

Regards! DaMan

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited August 28, 2000).]
Old August 25, 2000, 09:08 AM   #2
Hutch

Nobody can tell you. There's no telling.

You're gonna have to go thru lotsa bullets and powders to determine this yourself, because your rifle is different than any other.

I had good luck w/ H4895 and Hornady 150gr spitzers in my 14" .30-30 Contender. None of these may be good in your rifle. Get some sandbags and plan to spend some time at the bench and the range. Take a notebook.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Old August 26, 2000, 07:10 AM   #3
Bud Helms

DaMan,

I have an NEF in .30-30. I started with 33 grs of H335 (or W748) and worked up. Use Hornady's 150 gr Spitzer or Nosler 150 gr Ballistic Tips. Good Luck.
Old August 26, 2000, 09:29 AM   #4
DaMan

Thanks, Gents. That's the second time I've heard the Hornady 150 Spitzer mentioned. So I'll be sure to try those out. Also, I have H4895, IMR4895, and Win 748 so these will be the first powders I try.

The Sierra Technician recommended either 168gr. or 150gr. Match Kings. I've got plenty of the 168gr. MKs on hand so I'll give those a try as well.

I also asked the Sierra Tech what he thought about the 135gr. Single Shot Pistol bullet. He said they will work fine in a .30-30 rifle. So I'll be trying these to see if I can get a flatter shooting combo.

At the moment I'm just burning off some reloads and factory ammo I was going to use in a M-94 Winchester I had.

Once I get my NEF scope mounted and have a good supply of fire formed cases, I'll start getting serious about this project.

I'll keep you posted. And if anyone comes up with more recommendations, please post them!

TIA and Regards! DaMan

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited August 26, 2000).]
Old August 27, 2000, 08:36 PM   #5
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Look at load info for T/C Contenders. Your NEF has more in common with single shot pistols than it does a lever action rifles, three reasons: 1. It can shoot spritzer bullets, 2. Being a single shot it's not limited to the OAL of a lever action - you should be able to go 2.800" to 3.000" OAL with heavy bullets (longer OAL=less pressure+more powder in the case=higher velocity), 3. By design it can safely handle higher pressures than the typical lever action.

The 1/10" twist is on the "fast" side, typically .30-30s will have a 1/12" rate. This means your rifle should stabilize and accurately shoot heavy bullets - 170gr and up. It might also mean that it will over stabilize light 110gr to 125gr bullets and not shoot them as well. With that fast twist rate, long OAL, and ability to handle higher pressure I'd say your rifle was designed to shoot heavy bullets at speeds well above typical published .30-30 velocities -- Kernel
Old August 28, 2000, 08:16 PM   #6
DaMan

Kernel, I've got to agree with you! The same tricks that work in the TC Contender Carbine and Pistol will most likely work with the NEF Hand-Rifle!

I am not going to concentrate on varmint weight bullets or extra heavy bullets that I think are unsuitable for this cartridge. The lightest I'm going to try is the 135 Sierra SPT Single Shot Pistol and the heaviest will be 180gr. Spitzer bullets.

I'll keep you posted on my efforts.

Regards! DaMan