The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 9, 2001, 01:46 PM   #1
Rich Lucibella
Staff

40's Vision? I may have your answer!

Shooting may have taken my hearing, but TFL (computer screens) have robbed my vision. Better than 20/20 a few years ago, I can no longer pick up my pistol or rifle front sight clearly or quickly:Presbyopia, also known as 40's vision. A change to Ashley Dot sights has helped, but I simply shoot better groups with my reading glasses on....in fact, it was my intent to wear these in the field, look over the tops for walking, and push them up when bringing the rifle to my shoulder.

After researching surgical options (there really are none for Presby), I spotted a commercial from VariLux. I pulled a local OD off their web page and went for an exam. The doc was a young, midwestern guy who understood guns and hunting. He provided a real thorough exam and fixed me up.

I don't need glasses for distance and have tried various "progressives", which are clear at the top and progress to prescription toward the bottom. These have never worked out....like looking thru a keyhole covered by a coke bottle.

VariLux lenses are also a progressive, but they're simply better than the competition...a bit pricey, but no more than a Kimber Custom at wholesale. I'm told that one of the German lensmakers (Swarovski? Baush and Lomb? -sp-) also makes a real good product, though more expensive.

At any rate, I've been wearing these specs round the clock for about a month now and I'm sold! It takes a couple of days for the brain to figure out where to look for clarity, but the learning curve is quick. Once that's done, there's no more searching for reading specs when you need 'em, looking over your glasses at distant objects or the like. For shooting, they're right on the money...in fact, if you're a "front sight" shooter, they actually help, since your distant target blurs anyway and your eyes encourage focus on the front sight.

The only drawback I've had with these was walking in the field. Because the lowers are prescription, dropping your eyes down to look for Mr. NoShoulders presents a blurred picture and can give you a bit of a headache. I expect that, with a bit of time, the brain will learn to drop the head slightly and look thru the non-script portion for this, however.

I am so sold on this product, I'm going for contacts and will try them on an upcoming 3 week hunt in Africa.
Rich Lucibella
Old September 9, 2001, 03:56 PM   #2
bad4u

I wear progressive lenses as well. When I first started wearing them, one of my biggest problems was the very narrow vertical arc of focus. When I tried to focus on handgun sights, for example, I'd find myself bobbing my head to seek focus on the front sight.

I discussed this with my glasses guy (technical term), and asked what he could do about it. He applied what he called a 'panoptic tilt' to the frame of the glasses - he simply bent the frames so the lenses tilted down a few degrees.

It does work to broaden the vertical focal range. Not enough to include both front and rear sights in focus at once, but the head-bobbing to find focus is reduced.
Old September 10, 2001, 04:07 PM   #3
Dave R

I agree

My shooting improved when I went from contacts to Varilux lenses. I wore contacts for many years. But with age (also 40+)I was losing my close-in vision (at front sight ranges). Was also finding contacts more uncomfortable.

So I went with the Varilux lenses. Front sight crisp. Groups improved. Broke more clays. Easier to read small type and monitors, too. Good deal all around.

I've read other posts where a knowledgeable optometrist "tuned" the prescription and/or the size of the near/far areas to a shooter. So be sure to mention it when you're looking.
Old September 11, 2001, 07:25 AM   #4
Ed Brunner

I have a pair of shooting glasses that are made so a front pistol sight is in focus. They also work with open rifle sights. The doctor said he could make me a pair that had my particular focus only in a small bifocal-like insert dead center and the rest of the lense could be clear or distant vision or whatever. The latter might be the answer for slithery sam your fanged friends etc.

UNTIL IT'S OVER!

Ed
Old September 11, 2001, 12:43 PM   #5
Ledbetter

Also a progressive lens fan

I had my Rx sunglasses made for driving, with a dark amber tint and progressive bifocal length only in the bottom third so that I could have the instrument panel in focus.

They are also perfect for open sights, although I have to tilt my head back slightly. For scoped firearms, I just use plain yellow lens shooting glasses.
Old September 11, 2001, 08:00 PM   #6
Doug

I've used progressive lenses for several years. They were a bit of an adjustment at first but I'm glad I went with them. I shoot pistols and longarms with them without any trouble or adjustments.

One of the problems I see with special prescriptions for shooters is that you're not likely to be wearing them when you really need them.

Doug