The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 13, 2013, 02:02 PM   #26
Doc Hoy

Photos of the finished revolver

Starboard side

Port side

Old July 13, 2013, 02:18 PM   #27
Hawg

Looks good Doc.
Old July 13, 2013, 05:05 PM   #28
Doc Hoy

Thanks Hawg

Thanks Hawg
Old July 13, 2013, 05:06 PM   #29
4V50 Gary
Staff

Never heard of zamak until now. Learn something new every day.
Old July 13, 2013, 05:16 PM   #30
bedbugbilly

Doc - I've got a Heritage Rough Rider (22 rimfire) and overall, I'm very satisfied with it for being a "cheap" handgun. I primarily bought it as a "knock around plinker" for here on the farm. It is made of some sort of zamac or similar as Hawg suggested. It's not as pretty as a Ruger Single Six or Bearcat but for what it is, it seems to function well and is holding up fine.

Zamc is what Henry uses on their painted covers on their .22 lever action rifles. It doesn't receive a lot of abuse since it is just the action "cover" and I have no complaints on it. Others look down their nose at such things, often calling it "pot metal" but hey, I never thought years ago that I'd be buying a "plastic" handgun either (semi-auto). I've seen it used on a lot of guns over the years and it's held up pretty good and helped make the production costs lower so folks could afford to own a decent, working firearm.

I'm just passing this along as you mentioned Heritage. I have no experience with their customer service but have never heard anything bad. The Heritage .22 certainly wouldn't take as much recoil abuse as a larger caliber would. I believe that Taurus purchased Heritage this past year . . . I think the jury is still out as to how that will affect their product lines.

As I said, I like my Heritage Rough Rider - a 4 3/4" barrel SA that is plenty accurate for what I'm doing with it. While not the highest quality, it does offer an inexpensive choice that allows those on a budget to have a SA .22 (they offer other calibers as well) and most that I know who have them, like them. If I was still hunting, I'd get one with the 6" or even the 9" barrel that they offer (or thereabouts barrel length) to hunt squirrels with. I don't know as if I'd like one of their pistols in a larger caliber but I'd have no problems buying another one of the .22s. I'vw put around 1,000 rounds or so through mine and it just seems to get better . . . but it is the "wall flower" of my pistol collection and probably would be the "last picked" so to speak if we were choosing up players for a team.

I have a feeling that once you get your pistol all "tricked out" and "tuned up", it will shoot just fine. I'm sure it's been an interesting project for you as well. I've enjoyed reading about what you've done and the progress you've made.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 13, 2013, 07:40 PM   #31
Doc Hoy

I guess.....

I was hard on the peeps at Heritage and prolly was a little unfair to them.

I implied that the response was wrong and I had no reason to think that apart from what is best described as circumstantial evidence.

I only ever handled Heritage revolvers and never fired one.

In addition, the revolvers I handles were new but not necessarily recent.

I have two additional pieces of evidence which contradict me.

1. The revolvers are now made in Italy by Pietta and we have a great model of excellent products from Pietta.

2. The prices have increased by what seems to be about 60 to 80 bucks.

I am thinking that additional cost prolly adds value.
Old July 14, 2013, 11:32 AM   #32
bedbugbilly

Your side view photos of it look really sharp Doc! I think it's a fine looking handgun . . . I really like the brass grip frame and the grips look like they have some nice grain pattern to them. A big thumbs up! It looks like it's right out of the "Old West"!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 14, 2013, 01:00 PM   #33
Doc Hoy

Three Bs,

Yes, that is the look I was going for.

I have a bid on another broke revolver on the Gunbroker. It is a .44 Magnum Uberti which has precisely the same problem as this revolver had when I bought it.

We shall see.
Old July 15, 2013, 04:20 AM   #34
Bill Akins

Looks great Doc!

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".