The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 21, 2013, 01:47 PM   #26
smee78

Great comments left here everyone, even the moving part,,,,,,,I dont want alot of people moving here and trying to change my area into the place they just failed and left. I would be worried if I owned a S&W 627 8 shot revolver, we all know how dangerous they are. Bird_Dog, its funny, you would think a simple question would be an easy anwser...Thanks everyone and keep it coming.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:49 PM   #27
bird_dog

I just got a return call from the NY State Trooper with whom I spoke via the hotline this morning. Unfortunately it was a voice mail, not a two way communication. Here's what she said regarding revolvers.

"After April 15th, any revolver with a capacity greater than 7 must only be loaded with 7 rounds."

Yes, friends. REVOLVERS.

I can only presume that we can't buy 8+ revolvers any longer, as well.

Bad, bad news.
Old January 21, 2013, 03:30 PM   #28
BoogieMan

I dont get it. Why 7? Is that an acceptable number of deaths? Someone in legislature a 1911 fan?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 21, 2013, 03:46 PM   #29
smee78

WOW,,,,,that is amazing, So much for you revolver guys thinking it won't affect you. I am in the market for a few Wilson Combat 8 or 10 round mags if you NY guys are interested in selling a few. Will they let the mags that are already in the state stay or are they illegal as of the April 15th date?

Last edited by smee78; January 21, 2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:25 PM   #30
carguychris

Quote:
Someone in legislature a 1911 fan?
Remington and Kimber are located in NY. Think about what kind of pistols those companies sell.

I know this seems cynical, but this is a very cynical piece of legislation.
Quote:
Will they let the mags that are already in the state stay or are they illegal as of the April 15th date?
Such mags are grandfathered, but they have to be registered, and you still can't put more that seven rounds in them unless you're at a sanctioned competition.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:42 PM   #31
m&p45acp10+1

Smee from what I read they can keep the mags of up to 10 rounds if they submit the paper work to register them. Only exceptions are Curio and Relics. Those must be registered. Loading them with more than 7 rounds is a felony. All mags that were of greater than 10 rounds that were owned pre 1994 that were registered are on deadline of being illegal. They must sell, destroy, or pemeanantly modify them to where they can only hold 7 rounds without it being able to be changed back.

So it looks like those that obeyed the law to register thier mags are now on the could end up being fellons if they do not comply with the new law list.

It is a very sad day for the law abiding gun owners of New York.

Also now to buy ammo in New York one must go through an NICS background check for any ammo purchases.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:54 PM   #32
mete

NO ONE I've read or spoken to is clear on the law !! AFAIK certain things have to happen by April but then some things then change in a year ! Disposing of a gun is very complex too.
In any case I'm sure tha Obama will try to match or beat Cuomo's law.We're due for a very sad time in our county's history. Now do you understand why the DHS has purchased huge amounts of ammo ??
Old January 21, 2013, 09:17 PM   #33
405FileFound

Assault Revolver

Its possible those 8 round 627s with the accessory rails and black matte finish will become media-lamented assault revolvers.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:56 PM   #34
skidder

Quote:
Its possible those 8 round 627s with the accessory rails and black matte finish will become media-lamented assault revolvers.
Very possible. Another one to add to their "weapons of mass destruction". If they saw this they would freak.

Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old January 21, 2013, 10:11 PM   #35
ScotchMan

Guys, please keep in mind that there are dozens of questions surrounding the NY SAFE Act, and 30-40 amendments are coming to the law in the near future. I would not be so quick to jump to conclusions.

However, mine and many people's interpretation is that detachable magazines are the only things affected. I do not believe a shotgun or revolver is. There has been a similar question about the Keltec KSG shotgun (14+1 capacity) since we have not been able to have >10 magazines since 1994. I have seen many KSGs sold and no problems. So its the same thing.

This is a great FAQ on the law, from the governor's own website. While it doesn't specifically mention revolvers, it does use the word magazine exclusively, and not cylinder or tube.

http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old January 21, 2013, 10:26 PM   #36
PetahW

IMO, FAQ's & vocal representations from ANYONE in state government will take a decidedly back seat to the letter of the law, once actual enforcement enters the picture - especially the rabid enforcement often exhibited by political ladder-climbers.

Watch yer six................................

Old January 21, 2013, 10:57 PM   #37
Laz

I don't live in New York but I know many people here who are gun owners and solid union people who have (IMO) deluded themselves into believing that Democrats don't want to take their guns away and will be reasonable in their aims and goals. The experience of New York should prove the futility of that belief. New York's law has nothing to do with crime or safety or any semblance of reason. It is purely and simply a sharp stick into the eye of honest, law-abiding, tax paying gun owners for no more reason than to show that they can do it. And it is the crassest example of using a tragedy to further a previously held agenda. Sadly, in New York I understand the legislature is Republican. Still it is clear, to me at least, that you can either vote for gun freedom or you can vote Democratic. You can't do both even though some try.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:36 PM   #38
alex0535

If anything this ban on weapons will encourage an illegal arms trade within new york that will give criminals an environment in which they can exploit the demand that the ban creates.

This is why prohibition is has a tendency to fail.

I don't live in New York, and I am sort of happy I do not. A Smith & Wesson 627 or 2 is on my "guns i want to own one day" list, I know how I would feel if my state either banned them or told me I couldn't keep it fully loaded.
Old January 22, 2013, 03:16 AM   #39
DMMikey

Great. I own an 8 round S&W 317. That's a .22. It's not ok to fire on an empty cylinder, firing pin damage. I can't even put in an empty case, that could be misconstrued as being live when I put it in. The plastic snap caps last something like 10 hits. This is gonna be fun. I really wonder how much of a de facto ban this is going to turn out to be.
As far as voting Dem or GOP, it was a Republican senate that knuckled under, and Dean Skelos, the Senate leader and Republican, who has been out front defending this ridiculous law. NYS government is ridiculously dysfunctional, and that has nothing to do with party.
As far as the moving to Texas and yankee remarks, are we really still fighting the civil war? give me a break.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:42 AM   #40
bird_dog

Quote:
Guys, please keep in mind that there are dozens of questions surrounding the NY SAFE Act, and 30-40 amendments are coming to the law in the near future. I would not be so quick to jump to conclusions.
Wish I could agree with you. It's not jumping to a conclusion when a state trooper answers a hotline specifically set up for these questions, looks into it and calls me back with a reply that revolvers must only be loaded with seven rounds after April 15.

Not jumping, just listening to what a state official had to say. She was decidedly confused on the issue as well, looked into it, and that's the answer she got and relayed to me.

Until we hear otherwise, that's the law of the land as of April 15.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:59 AM   #41
carguychris

Quote:
Great. I own an 8 round S&W 317. That's a .22. It's not ok to fire on an empty cylinder, firing pin damage. I can't even put in an empty case, that could be misconstrued as being live when I put it in. The plastic snap caps last something like 10 hits. This is gonna be fun.
I'm told that cheap plastic drywall anchors make great .22 snap caps, although I've never tried it, and I don't remember which size I was told to use.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:44 AM   #42
SgtLumpy

Quote:
It's not jumping to a conclusion when a state trooper answers a hotline specifically set up for these questions, looks into it and calls me back with a reply that revolvers must only be loaded with seven rounds after April 15.
That trooper probably "asked someone" who could be anyone from co-worker to jail trustee to receptionist at some legislator's office. THAT person may have easily have jumped to a conclusion, guessed, asked someone else who guessed or jumped etc.

I can pretty much guarantee that hot line trooper's question didn't go to the legislature floor and gotten discussed, argued and clarified by the lawmakers.

I believe we would all do well to remain relaxed, inquisitive and informed from as many sources as possible. Those troopers came to work one day and were told "we're now manning a hot line for the governor's gun control project". They are just as confused about it all as both the pro and anti gun side of the population and government.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old January 22, 2013, 12:27 PM   #43
James K
Member In Memoriam

NEVER NEVER NEVER take the word of a law enforcement officer on ANY aspect of the law. First, cops are not lawyers. Second, most cops know very little about the law, especially a new law that no one seems to fully understand. Third, it is in their interest to lie and entrap you so they can build up their arrest record.

Read the law. If something is not clear, write (no e-mail) the state Attorney General and ask for a written ruling. If you or your family are questioned or threatened by a state officer, get an attorney. Don't wait until you are arrested and "accidentally" killed by Cuomo's Gestapo wannabes.

Jim
Old January 22, 2013, 12:37 PM   #44
Willie Sutton

Such mags are theoretically legal, yes, but according to how I read the law, the trick is that you have to somehow prove that the magazine itself (or the revolver cylinder or speedloader... on topic? ) is over 50 years old. This is kinda tricky to do with a non-serialized and often completely unmarked sheetmetal doohickey.

Hello... Legal Basics: Burden of Proof is on Prosecution, not Defense.

They need to prove that it is newer.. not the other way around.

Willie

Old January 22, 2013, 12:41 PM   #45
BoogieMan

Quote:
Remington and Kimber are located in NY. Think about what kind of pistols those companies sell.
That never dawned on me and I own a Kimber.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 22, 2013, 12:48 PM   #46
Wrothgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder
We get tons of Californians here in Montana. The problem is we're getting the ones who couldn't stand to wallow in their own mire (crime, taxes and whatnot). So the first thing they do is fight to have the laws changed to the ones they left??? They say it's for our own good, but when you ask them why they left? they simply reply, "to raise my kids in a better environment".
The exact same thing has been happening here in Colorado. So many Californians, turning our amazing state into California 2.0. States need to start passing bills to keep Californians out...
Old January 22, 2013, 04:57 PM   #47
Dondor

I hate to see this sort of thing happening. Knee jerk reactions by overbearing politicians and lawmakers thinking they know what is best for the people.

I am glad I live where I do, but I am not so naive as to think that it couldn't happen here.

I hope that companies and voters of said state and future states will stand up and vote out the ones that are providing all of this stress.
Old January 22, 2013, 06:03 PM   #48
WIN1886

So if you had a S&W 627 Pro 8 shot revolver and went to the range to target practice or to hunt some where in NY.....you could only legally load 7 rounds in the revolver ? Doesn't this seem a bit childish...like being told your not responsible enough to have one more round in the revolver ?
Old January 22, 2013, 08:50 PM   #49
stu925

I'm a bit sick of the "move" mentality, this is my home, I was born and raised in NY and it's my duty to try and get this law repealed if possible. My father would roll over in his urn if I turned tail and ran at the first sign of a fight, I was raised better than that. If we lose the battle then I will consider moving to a free state but for now I'd rather try to fix what's broken, that may very well turn out to be impossible and I realize that.

As for the State Police, the new law is 40 pages long and is comprised of amendments to the penal code, mental hygiene law, family court law, etc. so it's no surprise that the Trooper on the phone didn't know. As to who he may have asked for the answer, I'd have to guess it was probably his immediate supervisor and probably doesn't really have any idea whether it'd be legal to load 8 rounds in a revolver or not. A lawyer would be the one to ask or maybe a judge if you have access to one you could ask.

Stu
Old January 23, 2013, 07:18 AM   #50
bird_dog

Quote:
I'm a bit sick of the "move" mentality, this is my home, I was born and raised in NY and it's my duty to try and get this law repealed if possible. My father would roll over in his urn if I turned tail and ran at the first sign of a fight, I was raised better than that.
I'm with you, Stu. I participated in a couple of these discussions over at THR, and the NY bashing is worse than you can imagine. I've never seen posters at THR allowed to be so....Low Road.

One guy said we should be ashamed of ourselves. As I've pointed out in various threads here, we have nothing to be ashamed of. We live in a state where we're outnumbered. You vote for the right people, you do the right things, and you're still simply overwhelmed by the big city populations that are predominantly liberal. It's really easy for someone in Wyoming or Colorado to say we are getting what we deserved, but it's not true.

Sad to see so many buying into the fight-amongst-yourself mentality, rather than gathering forces against the real threat. I think the Obama plan is going to be a real wakeup call to the rest of the country that good, gun owning people are, for the most part, outnumbered nationally as well. We just got an early taste of what's to come in NY.