The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 27, 2015, 07:19 PM   #26
stagpanther

Quote:
The shop I go to always goes in the back and grabs a brand new one, the ones they keep in the cases for customers to handle sit there for as long as they carry that model and is then sold at a discounted price.
I always ask for a NIB gun in storage in the back--but many LGS's will tell you "last one" to move out a display blem. It's a gamble--sometimes I've walked, sometimes I've caved. I've gone back to the same shop the next day and by some miracle a new gun had replaced the one I bought.

many, if not most of handguns I've purchased were test-fired by the factory before shipping and they came in various states of dirty/clean; not to mention finishing, manufacturing shavings, packing grease etc. When a gun is FFL transferred the receiver will have to take everything out to verify serial numbers. There's also the "oooh-ah" factor--trasfer weapons--especially if the shop has little invested in it, can be shown and fondled by who knows whom before you pick it up.
Old July 27, 2015, 07:34 PM   #27
James K
Member In Memoriam

In some states, the dealer must submit a fired case to the state police with the application to purchase. Obviously, the gun has to be fired for that purpose as well as proof/test firing. Most factories proof test all guns, and most foreign factories are required to do so.

So prospective purchasers who refuse to touch any new gun that has ever been fired may not be able to buy any gun; but one must, after all, stand on principle.

Jim
Old July 27, 2015, 07:36 PM   #28
runningbear

itchy1: I let a guy at my local range shoot my 1991,he said he had a Colt Gold cup and he said my 1991 had as good or even better trigger then the Gold cup. I feel it's better then my new SXE Colt and it's a higher priced Colt then the 1991. No matter both have shoot really good with no problems.