The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 31, 2012, 06:54 AM   #26
hooligan1

Good point, since it's usually a youngster that this may happen to, and since they do carry backpacks,,,,,,,,,,,, they are going to pack a sectional cleaning rod from now on.. And if they jam their rifle muzzle in the crud, which by the way has cost many fathers out there to have to drive all the way to the local wally-world for cleaning kits, during the first morn of deer season, they will be ready.
Old May 31, 2012, 07:48 AM   #27
mehavey

Cut the handle off, attach the jag, tape the sections under the forestock w/ two strips of electrical tape, and stuff some patches in your pocket along w/ a mini-bottle (thumb-sized) of BreakFree

Pick up the gun to go to the field and you've automatically got what you need.
Old May 31, 2012, 04:32 PM   #28
eldorendo

I believe I am correct in remembering that Bore Snakes were initially marketed as an easy way to clean rifles or shotguns from the bore, in designs in which it was difficult to properly clean the bore with a cleaning rod, e.g., lever actions, pumps, etc.

Pretty soon, the lazy or uninformed adopted the Bore Snake, in lieu of the far superior method of cleaning from the breech with a cleaning rod.

When I posted about having a Bore Snake break off in a bore, and what a pain in the butt that is, I wasn't joking. There have been several posts on forums like this about just such an event. It ain't pretty!

Unless you don't have easy access to the breech of your rifle/shotgun for cleaning, then I'd strongly suggest that you don't use a Bore Snake. (Except, maybe, for holding open armory doors!)
Old May 31, 2012, 08:15 PM   #29
dmazur

Something that hasn't been mentioned is the Otis cable system.

They provide a brass tip for plugged bores, but IMO it isn't going to work as well as a solid rod. Maybe it would work for a few inches of snow, but I doubt pushing on a flexible cable is going to handle mud. The Otis system is designed to be pulled.

Here's a link -

Otis cleaning kit

Otis makes a full line-up, from just the cables to full kits ($150).

Also, there is nothing that says you can't use a 6" Otis cable with your sectional cleaning rod, so you can bend it out to insert a patch through the slot tip (or attach a brush) and then pull it through, breach to muzzle. I believe the threads on the couplings are standard 8-32 cleaning tool threads.

This would work for actions which can't be cleaned from the breach, like lever-actions and some semi-autos.

Dirt gets pulled toward the muzzle, rather than being forced back into the action, just like Otis recommends.

However, the cleaning rod sections are 7" long and don't fit in the cute little zipper pouches Otis sells...
Old June 1, 2012, 09:44 PM   #30
Colorado Redneck

Toilet Paper?

That was a funny simile, but most guns would be insulted by the obvious extension of that comparison...
Old June 2, 2012, 12:27 AM   #31
Ideal Tool

Hello, everyone. I have only used the Otis system once..that was one time too many!..I used it on an original .236 navy (6mm), 1895 Winchester-Lee straight-pull sporting rifle. To remove bolt from this rifle requires about 3 hands..and since I like to clean at range, while bore is warm, I thought the pull-thru system would simplify things. I followed their directions to the letter..and promply got a patch stuck halfway thru bore!
Now Otis uses a plastic coated stainless steel woven wire "rope"..with swivels at jag. I was sweating bullets just thinking how I would ever get this thing out of a very expensive rifle! It cannot be drilled..or pushed out..pulling is the only way..so letting bore soak with solvent, I again attempted to remove. I ended up bending the little brass pulling pin double before that patch came out. Never again!