The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 24, 2008, 04:15 PM   #1
gehrkek

Any Problems With the Mossberg 590?

I was looking to get a 590 and would like to know if anyone has any thoughts on the shotgun and what if any experiences you have with it
Old June 24, 2008, 07:34 PM   #2
gehrkek

Im going to take it by the number of looks and no responses that there are none.
Old June 24, 2008, 07:41 PM   #3
hoytinak

I don't have a 590 but I've got a 500 (pretty much the same thing). It's been used and abused pretty hard over the years and I've never had any problems with it. It's my "go to" shotgun.
Old June 24, 2008, 07:58 PM   #4
MAX100

The LOP on the 590 is a little long and the 590A1 is heavy other than that they are a hell of a deal. I like the 590A1 law enforcement shotguns with a 18.5" bbl best.

GC
Old June 24, 2008, 09:33 PM   #5
lafd04

My only issue with mine is it made me want to buy the 20 inch barrel with bayo lug and 9 round cap to have a safe partner.
Old June 25, 2008, 09:37 AM   #6
gehrkek

Thanks for the info guys. The other thing that i have heard is that there can be some problems with the safety being plastic...this was also a while ago that i had heard this, has this changed? or is there replacement for it if it is really a burden?
Old June 25, 2008, 02:09 PM   #7
MAX100

The plastic safety can give problems. The 590A1 has a metal safety. If you get a standard 590 replace the safety with a factory metal safety or a Vang oversize safety which is better. It is not a big deal to install a new safety.

GC
Old June 25, 2008, 03:09 PM   #8
webbee

I've never had trouble with the plastic safety. The metal replacements are cheap and solve the problem, real or perceived. I like my 590 more than my 500 even though they are basically the same shotgun. I think only the tube and barrel mount is different on the 590. All the receiver and trigger group parts seem to be the same. The only issue with the 590 would be hunting birds because of the federal 3 shot tube limit. They may come with a dowel for that purpose, however none of mine have it.
Old June 25, 2008, 03:13 PM   #9
DavidZ

My one and only 12 guage is a 590 that I bought when I turned 18. No problems at all aside from blowing off the bead sight when shooting my first slug. Aside from that I have really enjoyed it and would recommend one to anyone interested.
Old June 25, 2008, 04:14 PM   #10
WacosSon

Never had a problem with mine. I keep it oiled and clean it between shooting and its been a charmed. The plastic safety shouldn't cause you a problem. Its pretty stankin strong and doesn't have a lot of play. Unless you drop your gun flat on its head you should be fine - and if you do that you'll have more problems to worry about than just the safety.

Had my 590 for 3 years. Typically shoot 100-150 rounds a week - NEVER ONE JAM or problem. It's a dream and does everything I ask it to.
Old June 25, 2008, 06:21 PM   #11
MAX100

The problem Mossberg safeties have is overtime with heavy use the holes in the metal plate will wear or get deformed and the detent ball will not engage the holes firmly. When the gun recoils the safety will slide down keeping the gun from firing till it is push forward. This happens sometimes on a few that haven't seen any heavy use.

To fix this problem you will need to drilled out the two holes in the spring tab on the safety a little oversize I believe 5/64" and it lets the detent ball sit further into the tab.

I believe the Vang metal safety has oversize holes to prevent this problem.

Also the plastic safety can crack from heavy use.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; June 25, 2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old July 1, 2008, 06:21 AM   #12
Lucky 7

Only problem with my 590A1 is that it made me give my 870 HD to my little brother. Good, solid piece of gear that's fun to shoot. Can't go wrong with it.

Regards and Semper Fi!
-L7
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC