The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 26, 2015, 07:56 PM   #26
jimbob86

We had an excellent season, with the only downsides that a storm (baby F1 tornado, confirmed by the NWS) blew away my dad's ground blind.... probably in Kansas with Toto and Dorothy ......

Just about everybody in the group got a least one deer, and my two youngest kids got their first deer ever! Both one shot stops, 120 and 135 yards..... and my dad got deer (buck) for the first time since the Reagan Administration...... I took a buck seconds after my 11 year old daughter got her yearling ..... and best of all, my Eldest got back on leave early from the Naval Academy, arrived early on the last Saturday in camp and was too sick to hunt Saturday morning ..... saw nothing Saturday night and again did not go out Sunday AM, unable to breathe ....... but Sunday afternoon, the last day of the season, we went went out, just her and me, like the old days .... she went on stand on a wooded dry creek and I walked around the section and pushed deer to her with the wind at my back ..... from 40 yards, she dropped a nice big bodied whitetail with 4 point on each side .... not a massive rack, but tall and wide......

Oh, that other downside? Due to the last minute deer (and getting temporarily stuck getting it out to the gravel road), we got a late start for home, a 4 1/2 hour drive ..... 20 miles from home, in the wee hours, 3 doe trotted across the road in front me ..... I slowed way down, and the first 2 kept going ..... and tail end Charlene doubled back into the ditch ..... just as I began to accelerate, she changed her mind for the last time .... killed her and smashed up the grill and bumper on my Ancient F150....... Sherriff's Office took about 45 minutes (loitering on the far western edge of the county.... I did ot get into bed unto after 3 AM .... and then I had to get up to butcher Eldest's buck, by myself...... and I had a pile of phone messages, all work needing done: Don't these people understand tha "Deer Season" is followed immediately by "Jerky Season" which is in turn followed by "Sausage Season"?