The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 5, 2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Soldatlamour

Beretta 686E Sporting - Extra Trap Barrel ?

Do you know if Beretta sells an additional Trap barrel for this shotgun? Thank you for your input.
Old October 5, 2013, 06:53 PM   #2
BigJimP

most "sporting" style guns...won't shoot high enough to float a bird for Trap...so buying a "Trap" barrel may not be what you really want to do...

But if you want something like an unsingle ...give Joel Etchen guns a call ..and talk to them / see what they can do for you ..../ but the barrel will have to be custom fit to the receiver ....and an extra barrel for an O/U is probably going to cost you at least $ 1,500...

so if you really want a combo gun...you might consider trading the gun you have to someone like Etchen...and buying something else.../ but most of us want a gun that handles, feels different, shoots higher, longer barrels for Trap than we do for Sporting Clays, Skeet, 5 Stand or hunting...and we usually turn to stand alone guns for Trap specifically ( in 32" and around 10lbs ) vs more of a general gun in 30" and around 8 lbs for sporting, skeet,etc....

But you can't just buy a barrel set and expect it to fit the receiver either....they may come close to locking up properly / but close isn't good.
Old October 5, 2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Soldatlamour

Thank You !

Thank you . I'm not sure what "shooting high" means, but I'm very sure it's important !

I'll go the separate gun route --- I really like my 686e for skeet. I'm not great. Self-trained, and I'm consistent with 23, 24, 25 skeet rounds.

I probably need lessens in skeet, and I know I'll need to learn the entire game of Trap

Again, thank you!
Old October 6, 2013, 11:57 AM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Call Cole's Guns in Maine - they might be able to help you with a separate barrel ( it will need to be fitted to the receiver) Rich does all things Beretta including a lot of customization, trigger jobs, barrel work, etc

Shooting high means you want your POI to be higher than your POA because trap targets are rising - with a barrel that shoots higher than where you are pointing, you will be ab;e to float the target above your line of sight (rib) as opposed to covering it with the muzzle as you fire
Old October 6, 2013, 01:00 PM   #5
BigJimP

Cole and Etchen are both good shops / very good reputations.