The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 4, 2002, 03:13 PM   #1
Noban

Need opinions on top folding stock

I'm looking for opinions on the Advanced Technologies top folding stock for the Mossberg 590. Cabella's is selling them for about $70, made of fiberglass I believe.

Thanks

Noban
Old February 4, 2002, 04:12 PM   #2
SAWBONES

Hi Noban;
I have one on a Mossy 500. Although folding stocks in general have a reputation for allowing more felt recoil than standard stocks, I find it works very well, and cushions recoil, even though it lacks a recoil pad of any sort. (Presumably, there's enough "give" in the hinges to absorb recoil forces.) It's quite sturdy, yet much lighter than metal folding stocks.
'Course, you can't alter length of pull.
I believe you can get a lower price, too. Mine was $59.95 at a gunshow. Best.

Last edited by SAWBONES; February 4, 2002 at 11:46 PM.
Old February 4, 2002, 08:54 PM   #3
Demonvomit

I was also looking into getting the same stock,But my only worry was that the stock would collapse when shooting but i have realised that it most likely wouldnt and will be buying one in the near future,Recoil dosnt bother me at all (shoulder went numb along time ago) so it shouldnt be a problem.

Later
Old February 5, 2002, 11:03 AM   #4
Noban

Sawbones - How is that length of pull? The main reason I'm looking for a new stock is that the standard 590 stock is way too long for me.

Noban
Old February 5, 2002, 01:03 PM   #5
SAWBONES

Hi Noban;
I believe it's the same as the 590 LOP. It certainly feels to be the same to me. It's not apparently any longer than the original stock, but I haven't actually measured it.
I'm not aware of ANY folding stocks with a shorter-than-standard LOP, unfortunately. If you want a shorter LOP ("standard" LOP varying from 13.5" 14.5", depending upon manufacturer), you'll have to get an aftermarket solid stock of some sort, eg, Speedfeed or Choate.
Brownells has several types of shortened or adjustable solid shotgun stocks. Best.
Old February 5, 2002, 01:46 PM   #6
Vang Comper

Copstock is the only way to go. Not only is it a folding stock, but it reduces recoil more than the compstock!! Over 60% of a reduction, and you can fire buck and slugs one handed. Heck this is one folding stock that you could outshoot a standard stock. This would be a good stock to use against Dave McC's bet he has in matches with folders
Old February 5, 2002, 04:11 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

What's the general reason for a folding stock?

Art
Old February 5, 2002, 11:53 PM   #8
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Takes up less room when folded.

I've got a Rem PG folder. Used it a coupla times & took it off. Put it back on a "spare" 870 a coupla days ago, played with it a little & took it off again.

Nice when folded & taking up less room, but I've no use for it when extended. It sits under the bench - gathering dust.
Old February 6, 2002, 12:18 AM   #9
psssniper

got to play with the cop stock at the shotshow saturday
seems like it would work great, but it looked a little wide around the pivot. nice people working their booth. they had lots of cool toys for your shotguns.
Old February 6, 2002, 01:18 AM   #10
Vang Comper

Can you describe in your own words ust how much it reduced the recoil? You try firing it one handed?
Old February 6, 2002, 06:10 AM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

OK, Vang Comper, where and when(G)?...

For the record, and those who came in late, I've a standing challenge for the PG and folder crowd. Check the Archives for the history of same.

And....

While a folder has some merit for storage, it still tends to be harder to shoot well than a standard stock, assuming reasonable fit and form.
The gap should narrow as people develop better folders, but I do not expect it to disappear completely.

While frequent and dedicated practice can narrow that gap also, the same amount of dedicated and frequent practice with a standard stock will leave one truly adept and effective.

IOW, before I'd use a folder, storage and stowage factors would have to be paramount for the mission....
Old February 6, 2002, 09:08 AM   #12
Vang Comper

But this folder is like none you've ever handled before, Dave. It's a hero in the new age of shotgun stocks.
Old February 6, 2002, 10:19 AM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Could be, VC, but I'm skeptical.I'll keep my eyes open, but it might take a while for me to find one and use it for a T&E. If I do, I'll post.

There's a few factors to consider.

One reason folders bite as much as they do is a smaller surface area. This is as important as pad material for comfort. Shape's another factor. Does it conform to the various ins and outs of the human physique? Mushed up in there with LOP and drop is pitch.

Along with all that comes the PG. It approaches a universal fit, BUT it just approaches. The standard grip, assuming good porportions, IS universal, in that folks with a wide range of hand size and builds can use it effectively.

I'm more invested in finding the best tool for the job than defending old opinions. If I run across a folder that is as safe and effective as the standard stock, I'll sing its praises rat cheer. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that epitome of machinery, tho....
Old February 6, 2002, 11:39 AM   #14
SAWBONES

The COP stock works, but tends to slap your cheek on recoil, according to a recent review in, I think, GWLE.

Also, on a relatively narrow weapon like a shotgun, which is 1.5" to 2.0" wide at the widest point, the pivot hub of the COP stock is 3.5" wide! (I called and talked to the manufacturer, and this is what he told me.) That sticks out a lot when the weapon is stored in a soft case. Best.
Old February 6, 2002, 04:46 PM   #15
Vang Comper

When you see how little the stock recoils you won't care about the width.
Old February 6, 2002, 05:08 PM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I went to the Steel Challenge in 1982, and among other things was awed by John Satterwhite's "Shotgun Games". Anybody who can throw seven claybirds out and "pump 'em down" sure earns my respect!

Got to talking to him about his 870. It had a seven-round extended mag, and the barrel was cut back to just in front of that length. Screw-in chokes. Vent rib; half-size front bead. Folding rifle sight dove-tailed into the barrel. Action converted to operate like a Model 12.

One neat feature is that with a plug in the magazine, the balance is similar to that of a 28" or so barrel. With the chokes, it's an any-use gun.

We got to talking about home-defense use. He commented that the pistol-grip stocks make for an awkward wrist position when in "search" mode, carrying the gun near a port-arms position. (From port-arms you can quickly move to butt-stroke or jab, as well as shoot.)

His gun's overall length looked quite handy. 22" or so barrel. So, other than convenience in a car, I'm not sure of the utility of a folding stock.

Art
Old February 7, 2002, 05:52 AM   #17
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Art,Satterwhite has an informed opinion on this, IMO,the only kind that counts.

Sometimes I think we make too much of compactness in our shotguns. After reading your post at work, I took my thoughts home and did a walkthrough in Casa McC with my trap gun,30" bbl, Morgan adjustable pad and all.

I'm 6'2", about 250, take a size 8 hat and a 52 Long coat. That 870 TB and I fit into every place I wanted to go nicely.Mi Casa es uno townhouse.