The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 25, 2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Louca

Second Thoughts on Win SXP and Rem 870

I own a Winchester SXP Defender for HD. I have shot it a few times and like it. The action is smooth and the pump stroke is short and fast. At the time I got it, I had also considered the Remington 870 "Express Tactical". (I ruled out the Mossberg 500 because I did not like the way the pump action felt.) After reading several comments here and elsewhere, and handling each of them, I decided on the SXP. I am not sorry about my decision, but I can't help but wonder if I may have been happier with the 870. (That always happens, right?) There were a few posts that had the theme, "my SXP is so much better than my 870 ever was." But then there is this overwhelming fact that the 870 is far more popular than the SXP.

Both are priced the same and the specs are almost the same. The 870 is a little over a pound heaver than the SXP. The SXP has 5+1 capacity whereas the 870 has 6+1. I don't really care about the weight difference since I will not be carrying an HD gun very long. Maybe the extra weight might even be an advantage with respect to recoil. And the 1 round difference in capacity would be nice to have, but is not a big deal for me.

But when it comes to add-ons, the 870 steals the show and the SXP doesn't even exist it seems. I am not planning on putting on any add-ons, but I can't help but wonder why the 870 is so vastly popular. Whenever anyone asks what shotgun to get for HD, the 870 is by far the most recommended. Why? I know, I should just go buy both of them, shoot them for a while, and keep the one I like the best, right? Do any of you have both and like one for a particular reason? Thanks.

Lou
Old June 25, 2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Waspinator

I say keep your Winchester and don't worry about what other people like or don't like. To each their own!

Me, I don't like the 870 at all, I don't like the safety or slide release locations and I think they feel heavy. I , personally, like Mossbergs controls much better, so that is what I bought. I also looked at the Winchester SXP when I was shopping around and think it has a lot of nice features and think it is a nicer shotgun then the 870...but still liked the mossberg controls more. Like I said, to each thier own.

Most add-ons you see on shotguns are not really brand specific, with exception to stocks and sights. I did notice that the SXP didn't have much at all in options, but, I know that ATI came out with a Talon pistol grip stock this year for the SXP. (LINK). But, if you are not even worried about add-ons, then whats the problem?

You have a very nice shotgun, don't worry yourself about not drinking the 870 coolaid!
Old June 25, 2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Louca

Thanks Waspinator. You are right in that things like guns are highly personal and individual as to their like-ability. I am not really thinking I missed out and got the wrong gun. I am just wondering if somehow the 870 was better, or why it is so popular. Since I do not own one and have never shot one, I really don't know. And, agreeing with what you are implying, I really cannot count at all on the opinions of others since my assessment may vary from theirs anyway.

Lou
Old June 26, 2013, 07:45 AM   #4
MarkCO

Because the 870 has been marketed and promoted and updated.

The SXP is really the first real update of the Win 1300. I have my first shotgun, an 870. It was just replaced as the primary by a FNH P12, which is essentially a SXP. Overall, I do think the SXP/P12 is a better shotgun, but there is nothing worng with the 870 or Mossys either.
Old June 26, 2013, 02:30 PM   #5
dgludwig

Quote:
but I can't help but wonder why the 870 is so vastly popular.
Remington 870s are certainly nice shotguns in their own right but their "popularity" status (over the Winchester SXP) might have something to do with the fact that the 870 has been made for well over a half a century.

Quote:
The 870 is a little over a pound heaver than the SXP.
No doubt at least partially a by-product of the Remington's steel receiver as opposed to the Winchester's alloy receiver.
Old June 26, 2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Cousin Toad

Not A Bad Choice

The 870 has a huge aftermarket due to its longstanding popularity and the 50 plus years it has been manufactured. As far as doo-dads and add-ons it reins supreme. The fact that most LE agencies used it as a patrol shotgun for most of those 50 years doesn't hurt either. The 870 is a darn fine shotgun and quite reliable / durable. I personally don't like the controls, as I favor the Mossberg. This is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions!

The Mossberg is lighter and some think it is clunky / cheap made. I personally like the fact it is a little "loose" makes me think it will put up with much dirt or crud before it stops up the gun. The old Mossy appears to be as reliable as the 870 in normal usage. I like the controls, safety on top, and the slide release position where it is. It probably has almost as much or more aftermarket support as the 870.

I have shot the older Win 1300 and it is OK, and there is nothing wrong with it, just different. At one time the aftermarket supported the 1300 almost as much as the 870 or the Mossberg 500, but that 1300 went out of production and I believe that the popularity in the aftermaket went with it. The new SXP appears to be an updated 1300 and the accessories will probably become more available in the future.

Be happy in your choice and enjoy that SXP!
Old June 26, 2013, 04:46 PM   #7
jmr40

Don't confuse the SXP with the 1300. The 1300 was a decent gun, but a step below the 870. The SXP is similar in design to the older 1300, but made in Turkey by an unknown manufacturer and stamped with the Winchester name.

At anywhere near the same price I'd not even consider the SXP over an 870. It might someday prove to be a decent gun, but the 870 has already proven itself.

I understand that many recent 870 Express guns have left the factory less than perfect. But the design is solid and proven, the issues are all minor, mostly cosmetic, and are easily corrected. Remington could build a better gun, but with consumers and big box stores demanding the lowest price possible you are going to get a few out the door with issues. Those issues could, and should be made right before they leave the factroy, but we as consumers are either going to have to pay for them. Either when we buy the gun, or when we fix them ourselves.
Old June 28, 2013, 03:09 AM   #8
Slugo

Second Thoughts on Win SXP and Rem 870

I prefer the tried and true Mossberg 500 over the other two. The military and police have proven their worthiness.
Old June 28, 2013, 03:26 AM   #9
allaroundhunter

Re: Second Thoughts on Win SXP and Rem 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugo View Post
I prefer the tried and true Mossberg 500 over the other two. The military and police have proven their worthiness.
That's funny... Seeing as both the military and police forces around the country have also used the Remington 870 (police have actually used the 870 more than the Mossberg I believe).

I prefer the 870 because of its proven reliability (to me), and the ergonomics of it are better for me. The safety is easy to engage and disengage with a firing grip and the slide release is the same. The aftermarket is great, and there will never be a need to search hard for replacement parts should you need them.
Old November 17, 2013, 11:07 PM   #10
Idahokid

sxp

I bought SXP field and shot some trap with it today.It really handles well.The Turkish maker is Istanbul siloh.
Old November 18, 2013, 01:33 PM   #11
zippy13

IMHO, the 870 series is the small-block Chevy of shotguns.
Old November 18, 2013, 05:15 PM   #12
Dreaming100Straight

I chose an 870 over the Mossberg because of the steel receiver, and didn't even look at an SXP. Especially in gun I believe you get what you pay for and I am happy with my 870 Express.
Old November 18, 2013, 06:50 PM   #13
thinktwice

I recently purchased a SPX also. I like it a lot. I think it is built as well as any of them, maybe better. Don't be worried about it being made in Turkey, a lot of very nice guns have come from Turkey, and Winchester oversee's this operation. As far as ad on's I don't much care for that. I think a plain jane shotgun is all you need for home defense/self defense. However if you like to "tact-up"" your shotgun that's fine too. Stevens 320 tactical has a lot of that, ghost ring sights. bladed fiber optic front sight, heat shield, pistol grip stock etc.... and from what I have read it's a clone of the SPX rotary bolt and all. I have several shotguns including Mossberg and 870's and really like them all. As others have said police have carried them for years and some still do. As far as the Mossberg the military is still carrying the Mossberg 590 A-1 to this day. That means they are tuff sturdy shotguns that work. That being said if I was going to war I would want one of them, but I doubt any of us here, are going to get a new shotgun, that will see the abuse these shotguns see. Most of us take care of our weapons, don't even want a scratch om them. So I think whatever you choose will last and work for the rest of our lives. By the way of all the shotguns I do have my favorite is a 25 year old plane jane Mossberg with an 18.5" barrel. It has always worked great and is smooth as butter. (I even lost the front bead sight somehow) Enjoy your SPX it will still be working just fine many many years from now.