The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 6, 2013, 08:45 PM   #76
maestro pistolero

Perhaps the SAFE act has vulnerabilities in the area of vague and ambiguous.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:50 PM   #77
Maxb49

Great! Everyone here has raised some very important concerns!

Brian writes,

Quote:
The nature of this suit is something that bothers me a bit. Even if we "win", it seems as though it will simply be rewritten to address the faults exposed in the suit and we'll be saddled with an even stronger version of the law.
Brian, this is an excellent point. It's safe to say that everyone here shares your worries. If they knock out the assault weapon's registry, it's hard to imagine how that could be resurrected. Knocking out the registry takes a lot of wind out of Cuomo's sails - for example, enforcing a transfer ban is impossible without a registry.

For what it's worth, in my opinion it's also a good thing to look at the lawsuit in terms of damage mitigation. This bill isn't your typical gun control bill. This bill is a draconian attempt to ban, eradicate, and criminalize vast numbers of common, average firearms. Having any part of this bill thrown out is going to increase the liberty of New Yorkers.

MWalsh writes:

Quote:
Here's mine. Haynes was self-incrimination. The guy was a criminal and upon registration he would have been charged as one--not for failing to register, but for his previous crime of illegally owning the weapon, correct?
Good question. Hayes was actually charged with failing to register the firearm. He was a criminal, and any firearm in his possession would be illegally possessed. However, the particular firearm in his possession was an 11" Stevens double barrel shotgun, a firearm that was required to be registered under the National Firearms Act.

Here's the rub: If a convicted felon in, say, Canajoharie illegally owns an AR-15, the State cannot compel him to register his AR-15 because doing so would force him to admit to criminal possession of a firearm. He's protected by the Fifth Amendment. So, Problem No. 1: The registry is unenforceable. After the date by which people are supposed to register, if they do not register, they're in illegal possession of a firearm, and thus cannot be compelled to register. . .

Problem No. 2: According to the State, law abiding citizens must register their weapons with the NYS Police. In doing so, they have to circumscribe their liberty and privacy by registering their private information with the State government. The law, in it's totality, offers protection to felons and no protection to law abiding citizens. I'm sure most people aren't comfortable with felons receiving more protection than law abiding citizens.

Quote:
What happens in July 2014 to a non-registered AW owner? He is committing a felony. If he is caught with this unregistered gun he's in trouble. However, the important question is: What happens in July 2014 if he registers? It's obvious that registering at that point is admittance that up until that day he was a felon, for not having registered his AW, but will there be amnesty for any late-registrations? If so, I am not sure Haynes applies, because the self-incriminating action of registering after the fact will lead to no penalty or charging of a crime.
So what if there is an amnesty? An amnesty would be nothing more than a deadline extension. What happens after *that* date when people fail to register? Again, they would be charged with criminal possession of a firearm on the basis of failing to register that firearm.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:28 PM   #78
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxb49
Brian, this is an excellent point. It's safe to say that everyone here shares your worries. If they knock out the assault weapon's registry, it's hard to imagine how that could be resurrected. Knocking out the registry takes a lot of wind out of Cuomo's sails - for example, enforcing a transfer ban is impossible without a registry.
It isn't hard at all to imagine how the assault weapon ban can be resurrected if it is defeated based on Haynes, it can be resurrected to look just like the current NFA registry which was upheld and distinguished from Haynes in U. S. vs. Freed, 401 U.S. 601 (1971).

Am I missing something here? Why wouldn't New York just immediately modify the law the same way the NFA was modified in order to maintain the registry?
Old February 7, 2013, 01:49 AM   #79
hermannr

May I interject some (ir?)revant information.

Canada passed a long gun registration in 1996? anyway, very few people registed their long guns. the deadline was extended, and very few registered their weapons,,,and extended etc..until Harper came along and campaigned to eliminate the long gun registration that was supposed to of cost $30 million, and had already cost $3 billion It was estimated that only 20% or so of the long guns in Canada had been ever registered, and no registered gun had been involved in a crime. Kind of like the Cobis program in NY eh?

Harper was elected, the long gun registration was repealed...end of story.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:01 PM   #80
Maxb49

Update

The New York State Attorney General has contacted Mr. Tresmond requesting an adjournment until the end of April.

This is (tentative) good news.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:04 PM   #81
MLeake

For us laymen, why is this good news?

For all I know, it could just be a delaying tactic. What about the suggested adjournment strikes you as being promising?
Old February 7, 2013, 09:11 PM   #82
MWalsh

Quote:
So what if there is an amnesty? An amnesty would be nothing more than a deadline extension. What happens after *that* date when people fail to register? Again, they would be charged with criminal possession of a firearm on the basis of failing to register that firearm.
But what about an "eternal amnesty". I.e. if we catch you prior to registering you are in big trouble but, if at any time, you come clean, we'll wipe the slate on that. I am reminded of the need for each male of 18 years to register with selective service. To not do so shortly after their birthday they can face MAJOR penalties (in reality the rarely if ever do). However, if a 25 year old--6 years late!--decides to do it, he's good to go. His cut off date is 26. Then it's too late, he really missed the bus, but that is a very long amnesty indeed.
Quote:
Canada passed a long gun registration in 1996? anyway, very few people registed their long guns. the deadline was extended, and very few registered their weapons,,,and extended etc..until Harper came along and campaigned to eliminate the long gun registration that was supposed to of cost $30 million, and had already cost $3 billion It was estimated that only 20% or so of the long guns in Canada had been ever registered, and no registered gun had been involved in a crime. Kind of like the Cobis program in NY eh?
I strongly suspect a registration of firearms in NY will go the same way. Perhaps it would have had better luck before, but now that people will continually look to the failure of Canada, this registration must fight an uphill battle against a self-fulfilled prophecy, in a way. FWIW my personal feelings are the ammo registration will be a greater waste of time. Although it will by its nature enforce a very high rate of compliance, the huge amounts of data, the uselessness of them, and its ongoing costs as time goes on will threaten its staying alive, IMO.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:37 PM   #83
Maxb49

MLeake,

It is certainly no guarantee of victory. However, this can be interpreted, tentatively, as good news since the State would not use a delaying tactic if there was a simple procedural basis on which the case could be thrown out. For example, if all of the necessary parties were not named, or the manner of service specified was improper, the NYSAG would not hesitate to dispose of this case instead of wasting valuable time and resources preparing a reply. Obviously, the arguments set forth in the complaint were meritorious and difficult enough that the AG didn't feel this would be a slam dunk if they went to bat too soon.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:21 AM   #84
UncleWilley

Quote:
The New York State Attorney General has contacted Mr. Tresmond requesting an adjournment until the end of April.

This is (tentative) good news.
Is there any chance of an injunction to prevent the 7 round limit going into effect April 15th?
Old February 8, 2013, 06:45 AM   #85
Maxb49

I can ask today.
Old February 8, 2013, 07:15 AM   #86
MWalsh

Let me tell you Max if your team manages to get that done at least I am sure many detractors you have on whatever forum is full of that negativity will be inclined to be quiet.
Old February 8, 2013, 10:07 AM   #87
Aguila Blanca
Staff

So the AG wants more time to get HIS ducks in line. I don't see that as good news. I do agree that it may indicate he acknowledges the suit has merit, but if there's even a remote chance that Tresmond might agree to this, I fail to see how any good can come of it. Seems to me the AG should be asking the court for more time -- which would be admitting for the record that he's not prepared to defend the law that the State enacted. Asking the opposing attorney to agree to a delay is like handing the captive missionary a Zippo and asking him to light the fire under the pot the cannibals are going to cook him in.
Old February 8, 2013, 10:33 AM   #88
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I agree that if Tresmond has to approve the delay I see no advantage to doing so.
Why give your enemies time to arm themselves?
Old February 8, 2013, 10:45 AM   #89
Maxb49

He doesn't have much of a choice. The judge is going to approve the adjournment anyways; 99% of adjournment requests by any party are granted. So if he digs his heels in, it won't amount to anything other than trouble from everyone. However, they can't get an adjournment without notifying opposing counsel. At the very least, they didn't think they could dismiss the case out of hand, because you can be sure they would have done so if possible.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:08 PM   #90
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I figured as much. If the opposition had to approve I don't see them doing so very often.
Old February 8, 2013, 05:29 PM   #91
UncleWilley

Can we get this thread "Stickied"?
Old February 8, 2013, 08:44 PM   #92
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Willey
Can we get this thread "Stickied"?
In a word... No.

With all the other cases we are watching, and some of them are every bit as important, nationally, as is this case, I would be doing a diservice to those in Illinois, Maryland, California, Washinton State and Colorado - just to name a few.

I understand how important this is to New Yorkers. I just can't discriminate against the other States and what their cases might mean.
Old February 8, 2013, 09:43 PM   #93
JimDandy

Whats the WA state case?!
Old February 9, 2013, 07:42 AM   #94
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

WA and CO - Peterson.
Old February 9, 2013, 01:15 PM   #95
JimDandy

I search for Peter in the list of current 2A cases and find four non related Peter instances, searching for WA gets inundated with results for "was". Is the case not in the current 2A cases thread?
Old February 11, 2013, 10:00 PM   #96
Tuna2o3

Jim current WA bills are HB-1588 Universal Background checks and HB-1612 Registration of firearms offenders. Currently are in Judiciary Committee and moving.
Old February 12, 2013, 01:06 AM   #97
JimDandy

Those are bills not cases... they mentioned 2A cases.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:12 AM   #98
Maxb49

Big news coming within the next few days. I've got to get to work.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:16 AM   #99
unclecracker

max i sent you a pm.

Last edited by unclecracker; February 12, 2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old February 12, 2013, 04:25 PM   #100
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Max? You know I'm following you here and at NY Firearms?