The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 27, 2001, 08:37 PM   #1
Ray HP

I am surprised that I haven't seen any post about the gathering, especially since it was a blast.

I enjoyed the shooting session and the company. I could tell that safety was a top priority for everyone there. That was comforting to me.

After the shooting was over, I started a list of e-mail adress, user name and name of all the Gathering participants(that I have not sent out yet). To any who did not complete the list, e-mail me your information and I will add your name.

For those who like to shoot rifles: There is a 2 day High Power clinic, sponsored by the Ohio Rifle & Pistol Association (ORPA), on April 28 & 29, at Camp Perry. The clinic provides all Rifles (M-1 Garand) and ammunition. Cost is $69 plus $21 ORPA membership. Camp Perry is 2 hours west of Cleveland. Huts are available for overnight lodging, cost is $5 per person per night.

This is a fun clinic. I have gone at least 6 times. On Saturday there is an instructional class and 30 rounds practice. Then 50 rounds fired on Sunday. Anyone who is interested can e-mail me for more information.
Old March 27, 2001, 08:49 PM   #2
hksigwalther

Hey Ray,

I'd post more myself but left my camera at my parent's house. I'll be back up there soon though to post my pics. What benefits are with an ORPA membership? I had just mailed my check to Tusco Monday morning for the first year membership. That place is great.
Old March 27, 2001, 09:46 PM   #3
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Here's the thread where we posted the recap of the event last Saturday: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=60656 It's the same thread that had most of the pre-game info in it too.

I had a great time too, and also noticed that our group was "conspicuously safe" at all times regarding the handling of firearms and ammunition.

I would suggest that any Ohio TFLers who didn't make it to the event that would like to come to the next should contact you to be added to the mailing list. I know there were a few who were unable to attend. We'll also post a thread here so as not to leave anybody out.

The next TFL software upgrade is due in the next month or so, and it contains a "private messaging" feature that will allow TFLers to maintain a "buddy list" for messages such as these. I would forsee that each state could have its own buddy list to facilitate local get-togethers like this.
Old March 27, 2001, 11:00 PM   #4
Engineer

Ray,

I'll send you an e-mail as to where the pictures that I took can be found and how to access them - that way you can send them out on the distribution list.

I think our next TFL gathering is going to have to be at a bigger place. Unfortunately, I think we really filled the place up (I hope that we weren't too distracting to the father and son group that showed up during the time we were shooting). Hopefully as the weather gets better we might be able to find some nice outdoor range to get together at.

Ron - I tried looking for a P7M8 today with not much luck. I did however, pick up another HS2000, which was looking very sad in the used case. What can I say? I'm a sucker for inexpensive polymer.

Ed
Old March 28, 2001, 05:18 AM   #5
LilJoe

Yes it was a blast. And I already asked in another post if it was too early to start planning another one! Since bigger is needed, the range we (marci and I) go to we can have one whole room to our selves for all day, 6 hours to our selves for only about 5 dollars per person. We can then order a pizza in and have alot more room to goof off in. As long as safety is top of the mind Larry Ma, the owner, is very relaxed.

As for the Camp Perry, I may need to find a way to send Marci up there. she had a blast at Tuscos with Marks rifles. I'm sure she would enjoy that.

Joe and Marci
Old March 28, 2001, 10:37 AM   #6
falconer

Man, I'd love to make it to that High Power Clinic, but thats about the time school usually gets real busy for me. Do you know if they have any planned for the summer?
Old March 28, 2001, 06:41 PM   #7
hksigwalther

Next gun shows are Akron and Medina. I will be getting either an HS2000, Kimber, another FAL, or a down payment on a Walther P22 (or two) at B&T in Middleburg Hts. There's just way too many guns to buy.
Old March 30, 2001, 07:46 PM   #8
falconer

Ray, Will you be at the High Power clinic? My advisor from the rifle club is going and has been doing some arm twisting trying to get me to go. I'm going to know for sure by Sunday night/Monday morning.
Old March 30, 2001, 08:36 PM   #9
Ray HP

Falconer

I am going to the clinic with a group. You and your advisor are welcome to join us. Groups may have to be split up for target assignments, for logistical reasons. The earlier you arrive at Camp Perry the greater the chances are that the groups will be togher. I arrive at Camp Perry on Friday, hoping to get there at 7:00 or earlier.

The answer is NO to your earlier question about other clinics in the summer. They do have competitions throught the summer. In August there is a Garand match, but you have to take your own rifle, they supply the ammo. Rifles allowed are the M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine and 1903 Springfield.

Ask your advisor to try and explain the procedures from check in to the end.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any more questions.

Where do you go to school or will be coming from?
Old March 30, 2001, 08:55 PM   #10
falconer

I'm at Ohio State. Bob is planning on going up friday. I'm probably going to make it. He had his new garand at the meeting tonight, a thing of beauty. I've got some bills to pay this month, so I might not go. I'll decide in a day or two and let you know for sure if I'm going.
Old March 30, 2001, 10:16 PM   #11
Ray HP

hksigwalther

The benefits af being an ORPA member are that you can compete in the High Power matches at Camp Perry. You can also purchase an M-1 through the Civilian Marksmanship Progran (CMP) if you have competed in a recognized match or go to the spring clinic.

The ORPA also has other divisions (ie pistol, small bore).

Ray