The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2001, 05:28 PM   #1
Steve Smith

Looking for "slugging load" for .45 Colt using W231

Subject says it all. I have plenty W231 around. I'll be sacrificing one of my 300 RFN GC's for the slugging. Suggestions?

Oh yeah...it's for a 5.5" Bisley. Remember, it' just a slugging load, so I need to be able to recover the bulet in pristine condition, from a bucket with towels in it.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old October 8, 2001, 07:03 PM   #2
swifter...

Steve,

Have you given any consideration to obtaining a pure lead slug of appropriate size and pounding it through your barrel ?
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/index.htm
can provide them, I think. I'd expect problems doing what you propose , mostly bad.
Tom
Old October 8, 2001, 09:47 PM   #3
Steve Smith

obtaining a pure lead slug of appropriate size and pounding it through your barrel

Yes, as a matter of fact. I'll be trying this first, this week, as soon as the gun comes in. (I have to do this before I order a bullet sizing die for the lubrisizer). If I can't get good results, I'll fall back on the "shoot a really weak load" method.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old October 9, 2001, 09:11 AM   #4
birdman

I'd try something like 3 grs. If it's too light you'll have to knock it out with a rod. If it's too much then try 2 1/2 grs. I don't think you find any set rule for this ---- each revolver is different.
Old October 9, 2001, 10:26 AM   #5
sundog

Steve, you mentioned getting a sizer. Not all of them produce the size bullet indicated on them. I have several that are +/- .001 from what's marked. Be sure you check size AFTER going through the die. Mine are all Lyman or RCBS.
Old October 9, 2001, 11:16 AM   #6
Steve Smith

I will be buying a Magma Star sizer. With the reputation and price that it has, it had better be right.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old October 10, 2001, 11:26 PM   #7
carlosg

Go with what Swifter said, it is the proper way. (did I say safer?)
Old October 15, 2001, 12:45 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

Actually, firing a soft lead bullet through the barrel as a means of slugging the bore is one HELL of a good way to do it.

Slugging a revolver means either pulling the barrel from the frame, or slugging from the muzzle, which can cause its own series of wonderous little problems, such as an F'ed up crown.

I've slugged quite a few guns using the "fire slugging" method. Works like a champ.

Most of the time it has been with .38 Spls./.357 Mags., using a 148-gr. HBWC and about .5 grains of WW 231.

The catch method is a box with a bunch of old towels and other fabric.

For obvious reasons, I try to do this at the range.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 15, 2001, 11:47 AM   #9
Steve Smith

Thanks Mike, I admist I was quite surprised to get as many "don't do it" replies. I have had several acquaintances to do it successfully.

With the low report of .5 grains of powder, I can do this at home easily. It's a rural area.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member