The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 10, 2011, 08:38 AM   #1
bumnote

Looking for a good takedown case for AR for airline travel

I'm going to be heading down to my folks ranch in TX soon and wanted to bring along my AR to hunt some hogs with. After weighing shipping the rifle down ahead of me vs. taking it on the plane...I'm thinking taking it with me might be the best way and probably the cheapest.
I'm looking for something that would fit an AR lower and upper with an 18" barrel...and be strong enough to survive airline baghandlers, which rules out the cases I have. Anyone have a suggestion? I'd prefer resin, under 30" and in the $150-200 range. Boyt Tactical H-Series looks like it would fit the bill, but if I can find a smaller one I'd go for that.
Old October 10, 2011, 04:34 PM   #2
precision_shooter

Pelican cases are often regarded as some of, or the best you can buy. They are air tight, water tight, and float. They are made of super tough/thick polymer and come even have wheels built in. If I were to travel with a rifle and wanted it to come out the other end in the same shape as it went in, then I would buy a pelica case...

just my .02
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 11, 2011, 10:09 PM   #3
raisitup

The $30 case that came with my AR shipped in the belly of my plane from New Orleans to Orlando just fine. Got some wide-eyes at the ticket counter but that was it.

Ryan
Old October 12, 2011, 08:33 AM   #4
bumnote

Found a Pelican 1700 online for a good price for less than the Boyt case so I jumped on that.