The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 2, 2012, 07:55 PM   #1
jlb43

newbie needs expert advise

I bought a replica Paterson revolver a while back and was trying to get a handle on what it might be worth. It says Replica Arms Marietta, OH just forward of the cylinder and the entire gun is engraved including the grips. I do think it has ever been fired because of the dried caked grease around the nipples and on the recoil shield. Aside from a few handling marks on the cylinder it seems like new. I noticed it has the same four notch nipples as the Uberti had and the correct loading tool/nipple wrench came with it.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old March 2, 2012, 11:45 PM   #2
arcticap

It's worth what a person is actually willing to pay for it.
And it could be worth more with photos than it could be worth without them.
The selling venue can affect it's value as much as its condition and features.
It probably has a price range with a high price and a low price and an average price.
I'm willing to guess that if it's in as really good shape as described then it could be worth somewhere between $400 - $600.
It would be nice if we could see the engraving.

Last edited by arcticap; March 2, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old March 3, 2012, 12:02 AM   #3
Fingers McGee

Pics of any and all markings would help.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 3, 2012, 12:27 AM   #4
Lee McNelly

wheres the pics

ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPics.gif
Old March 3, 2012, 11:43 AM   #5
jlb43

Here is the best I can do. I cannot seem to get good glare free lighting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0693.jpg (244.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0694.jpg (243.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0695.jpg (246.8 KB, 43 views)
Old March 3, 2012, 11:48 AM   #6
jlb43

A couple more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0697.jpg (249.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0698.jpg (250.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0699.jpg (250.3 KB, 31 views)
Old March 3, 2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Beagle333

I don't know what it's worth, but it's pretty impressive!
Old March 3, 2012, 05:38 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

I'm with the Beagle

I don't generally like the looks of Paterson Revolvers but that one is pretty nice.
Old March 3, 2012, 08:13 PM   #9
Andy Griffith

That looks very nice.

I believe it's worth more than what standard Patersons are going for, but without some better pictures, and some proofmarks to see if it's a Pietta, Uberti or some other maker, it's impossible to tell.

Are there any initials in the engraving? It's highly likely that it was engraved in Italy, but if by chance it was engraved here by a known engraver- that makes it worth more to followers of those engravers. Most of these reproductions are never marked with the engravers initials unfortunately. There is no way to tell the quality of the engraving from the photo quality.

Engraved contemporary firearms are a bit tricky to price. They sell for what someone is willing to pay. I've bought a couple of recently made revolvers (that were used) that were hand engraved by known US engravers (used) for songs as they've set on shelves in shops for quite some time. The vast majority of the shooting public just aren't attracted to engraved guns- or at least, attracted to paying a bit more for a work of art.

Just know that it may bring more, but not likely a significant amount.
Old March 3, 2012, 10:16 PM   #10
arcticap

It looks like more of an auction piece because of the extensive engraving.
I could see that Paterson selling for $650-$850 or more depending on how many folks are bidding on it.
Remember that with live auctions there's a buyer's fee and a seller's fee that both the buyer and seller must pay that's a percentage of the final auction price. Neither reduces the gun's overall value, but the fees do reduce the amount that the owner receives and increase the amount that the buyer pays. The buyer's fee can effectively cause a person to bid lower.
It looks like a very beautiful and desirable piece. Thanks for sharing the photos with us

Last edited by arcticap; March 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old March 3, 2012, 11:29 PM   #11
Fingers McGee

Are there any other markings besides the Replica Arms panel on the barrel?
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 4, 2012, 03:18 AM   #12
deerslayer303

ummm yeah so this may be a bone head question, buuuut aint that there thing suppose to have a trigger . Or is that one fired by telepathy? LOL
Old March 4, 2012, 03:21 AM   #13
deerslayer303

LOL Ok so I see how it works now had to google it.
Old March 4, 2012, 01:30 PM   #14
jlb43

There is the standard PN for black powder, Gardone proof mark, date XXVI (1970), and the letters MOFRA which nobody seems to know for sure the meaning of. Other than those and the serial number 1XXX, there are no symbols or stampings anywhere.
Old March 4, 2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Doc Hoy

On Paterson....

...The trigger sets in place when the hammer is pulled back.
Old March 4, 2012, 02:56 PM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
and the letters MOFRA

BPRevolver, where are ya boy?
Old March 4, 2012, 07:37 PM   #17
Fingers McGee

MOFRA is one of those makers marks that hasn't been pinned down yet.
Old March 5, 2012, 09:07 AM   #18
madcratebuilder

Basic engraving and a case, it should bring around $700-800+ on GB. Need good photos and description.

Typical engraving can be a 25% premium. High end engraving can be a 200% premium.

What is the barrel length? The only 9" barrel I'm aware of is the Pedersoli Paterson and Pietta "Texas" Paterson.

Small market for this Paterson, I wouldn't mind adding it to my Paterson collection.

The Uberti style nipples are unusual.
Old March 5, 2012, 09:23 AM   #19
Doc Hoy

Engraving

As I looked at the photos, this engraving seems of fairly high quality.
Old March 5, 2012, 11:51 AM   #20
Fingers McGee

Based on what we know about it, the quality of the engraving, and what Patersons have been going for lately, IMNSHO, it would easily be worth in the $700 to $900 range.

I'd really like to hear what Dr. Davis has to say.
Old March 6, 2012, 12:43 PM   #21
jlb43

Thanks to all of you. I really do appreciate the input.

It's possible value and origin(s) is a curiosity thing. I am a Patersonaholic and had been looking for a nice one for probably three years or so until I found this piece. I consider this gun, unless and until I learn different, to be a one of a kind and that has to count for something. I have seen several Pietta and Uberti Patersons on GB and bid on a couple but lost. A used Uberti brought over a grand and I have seen a couple of Piettas bring $600.00+ when Cabelas is offering them NIB for $525.00. (although I have had one on backorder for nearly 3 months so maybe they are just "vapor ware"). LOL

In any case the gun was not and is not for sale, and may never be until I am taking the eternal dirt nap. I don't shoot any of my collection except a SS 1858 New Army which is easy to load and clean. The others are all safe queens.

By the way the barrel on this gun measures 8 1/2 inches from the end to the face of the cylinder. Is that what you would call a 9" barrel?
Old March 9, 2012, 12:23 PM   #22
orangello

That is really beautiful, thanks for the pics!
Old March 10, 2012, 02:43 AM   #23
dlbarr

Yes, I agree that is one beautiful piece. Like Doc, I am not a fan of the Patterson's appearance but that one is something special. Very nice.