The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 20, 2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Trapperbk

Loading 45-70's

Just wanting to get your input. I have been reloading Hornady "flex tip" bullets, and was not satisfied with their performance. I asked about loading 300 grain hollow points in these cases and have had mixed answers. Some say you can, and some say you can't, because they are cut shorter because of the flex tip bullet. I called Hornady, and the tech said it is perfectly safe, as long as you do not load max load, as this could possibly cause pressure problems. I was wondering if anyone has done this before I actually try it. I have about 200 cases of the flex tip brass.
Old September 20, 2011, 03:05 PM   #2
GreenMachine

Some of it depends on your rifle and the O.A.L. of the cartridge. Make up a dummy round and see if it will cycle in your rifle with the bullet you wish to use.

And yes with any new load you should work up the load.

Or you can see if you can trade your Hornady brass for some standard length Remington brass. You may fine someone on this forum or the Marlin Owners forum that will do that.

Or go direct to Starline Brass and order there 45-70 brass. Great prices and fine brass.

As for choice of bullet I was not happy with the accuracy of the 300 Gr bullets from my Marlin 1895GS in 45-70. But it did perform much better with the Hornady 350Gr RN of 3/4 and less at 100 yards with a scope.
Old September 20, 2011, 04:10 PM   #3
JACK308

I'm hopping that the 405gr. and IMR4198 will shoot good out of my 45/70.
Old September 20, 2011, 07:11 PM   #4
grubbylabs

I bought a box of those Hornady bullets for my .444 and tried to reload them for my 444. I used the minimum charge and it felt pretty stout compared to the same load in full length brass. In fact with some HP's loaded in them I was able to get an extra cartridge in the tube

I did not see any signs of pressure, but I only did it once and would not recommend any one else do it.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)