Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old January 19, 2010, 02:07 PM   #1
simonkenton

Woman Arrested for Stealing Radio Collared Dog

News-Record and Sentinel
Marshall NC Jan. 13 2010

By Jonathan Austin

A woman from Asheville has been arrested and charged with felony larceny of dog and illegally removing an electronic collar from a hunting dog.

Her arrest came after the owner of the dog tracked the collar to a Mars Hill home, where the dog was found in the basement, a detective said.

Charged was Emily Miller Eldridge, 33, of Henrietta Street, Asheville.

Detective Mike Boone said the dog's owner, Jeffrey Allen, had run the dog in the Grapevine area, and "he and his father were in the process of gathering the dogs back up when this one went missing."

Boone said the owner had seen a vehicle "in the area where they were looking for the dog. When that vehicle left the area, they lost the signal."

Allen and his father drove toward Mars Hill and "they got the signal again." They were able to narrow the signal down to a specific house, and they then called the authorities.

Boone said the dog had been fed and put in the basement of the house. The electronic collar was there, too, he said.

The complaint was filed Jan. 2. Eldridge was arrested and charged on Jan. 5.

Allen said the dog, named BB, is trained to hunt for bear. He said he and other hunters usually don't have problems like this over their hobby.

"I don't know; it's like, there are people who don't like hunting, but there are just a few people who are really extremists [who] go out of the way to mess with other people's stuff."

Allen said the signal collar BB was wearing can send a signal for several miles, depending on conditions and terrain. The signal is a standard radio signal sent by line-of-sight, he said.

Allen, who lives in the Ebbs Chapel community, said he isn't normally one to have someone arrested, but the theft of his dog went too far. "I'm not usually somebody who goes and blows the whistle on someone and calls the law, but this was serious."

Asked if he wanted Eldridge punished, he replied: "Absolutely, to make an example of her."

Detective Boone said Eldridge is "one of those who thinks all hunting dogs are treated cruelly."

Allen said eh couldn't put a dollar value on BB because she was given to him as a puppy. But he said he doesn't have any children, so "those dogs are like family." Eldridge was released on a $500 unsecured bond, according to jail paperwork.
Old January 19, 2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Scorch

This should be in one of those "stupid crook" articles! LMAO!!
Old January 19, 2010, 03:39 PM   #3
DRice.72

Quote:
Charged was Emily Miller Eldridge, 33, of Henrietta Street, Asheville
That says it all. San Francisco of the east it is....According to Rolling Stone magazine.
Old January 19, 2010, 04:24 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Sorta like this case, huh?
http://www.consumerfreedom.com/press...g-theft-charge
Brent
Old January 19, 2010, 04:41 PM   #5
Don H

Quote:
Sorta like this case, huh?
http://www.consumerfreedom.com/press...g-theft-charge
Too bad the charges were later dismissed.
Old January 19, 2010, 04:58 PM   #6
simonkenton

I live 25 miles outside Asheville and it is liberal, and then some.

An Asheville Obama-voter PETA gal runs up against the country boys.

She's lucky she didn't run afoul of the Georgia boys.

Old January 19, 2010, 05:02 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Or the Ga hunting dogs...

Brent
Old January 19, 2010, 07:45 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Quote:
That says it all. San Francisco of the east it is....According to Rolling Stone magazine.
It depends on which San Franciscan stereotype you are refering to.

I have spent quite a bit of time in Asheville, Hendersonville, Fletcher, and Naples. They're generally good people. It's just the extremists that give the rest a bad name.

(...Hmmm... sounds familiar... like idiot gun owners that give us all a bad name....)
Old January 20, 2010, 01:29 PM   #9
DRice.72

I've lived in the area for 37 years. I remember when you could park on the side of the road and fish a creek for trout, when I was a kid you wandered the woods all day and nobody said a word to you unless you ran across a thumpin' keg. Now virtually every piece of land is posted. I have seen the decline first hand.
Old January 20, 2010, 02:51 PM   #10
i50sx

That's just wrong .
Old January 20, 2010, 03:24 PM   #11
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day Brent. Your dogs look like there really switched on. They must be tough on hog.

Last edited by SKULLANDCROSSBONES65; January 21, 2010 at 03:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old January 20, 2010, 10:49 PM   #12
Buzzcook

That's what happens when you think god is on your side. It's either stealing dogs, throwing paint on fur, or killing doctors.
Old January 21, 2010, 02:47 AM   #13
jakec2789

only in NC would people think that just because the collar is off the dog and not outside that it would quit working.
Old January 21, 2010, 09:40 AM   #14
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I've lived in the area for 37 years. I remember when you could park on the side of the road and fish a creek for trout, when I was a kid you wandered the woods all day and nobody said a word to you unless you ran across a thumpin' keg. Now virtually every piece of land is posted. I have seen the decline first hand.
I wasn't alive in the good ol' days, but in my area no one posted. It wasn't b/c they were OK with people hunting/trespassing on their land. It was b/c every farmer had a lever gun on their tractor and every kitchen door had a shotgun beside it. Trespassing was serious stuff and I know more than one older gentleman who had a shot fired over their head when they were younger. More often than not by a neighbor they knew who called their parents and the kids arrived home still running ragged only to realize their troubles were just beginning.

The world has changed.
Old January 21, 2010, 09:49 AM   #15
DRice.72

Quote:
only in NC would people think that just because the collar is off the dog and not outside that it would quit working
I'll bet the farm she is NOT from N.C..

John,

We got shot at a lot in those days too. Then we would do the right thing and talk to said farmer, after which there were not problems. Be surprised what slopping some hogs and putting up some hay will do.
Old January 21, 2010, 10:11 AM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

There was a case quite a few years ago (4-6) where some deer dogs ended up on a lease and those hunters illegally shot them and took a hammer to the transmitter on the collar and dumped them in a fire barrel... Much to their surprise, they didn't exceed the umpteen million G's that it takes to shock them out of order and didn't fracture the circuit boards... Hunters tracked to the fire barrel and also found the carcasses of the dogs...

They were charged with numerous crimes, some of which were felony and they paid steep fines as well as severe restitution to replace not only the killed dogs but also the value of possible future off spring. It amounted to 5 digit figures on each dog
Brent
Old January 21, 2010, 11:44 AM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Let's just be glad that the silly woman was ignorant about radio collars and is now facing justifiable penalties.

Let's leave it at that...
Closed Thread